11.05.2007

A Modern Day Romeo and Juliet










A glooming peace this morning with it brings
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Juliet and her Romeo.

-William Shakespeare

Back in the summer a young man's body was found floating off the coast of Sea Girt, a town a few miles down the coast from us. His name was Jeremy Blake. Blake committed suicide by walking into the ocean a couple of weeks after his long-time girlfriend and soul mate Theresa Duncan committed suicide in the apartment they shared in Manhattan. He was an artist, she a filmmaker and writer. They were a part of Hollywood and New York's chicest circles. They were madly in love.

There is a New York Magazine Article entitled "Conspiracy of Two" which tells their story. There is also a very good article in the LA Weekly News. Many people are convinced that the couple was murdered and that their suicides were staged. The story is much too involved for me to tell in one posting, so click the links or Google their names. They were a fascinating couple.

One of the things Theresa was famous for was her blog, "The Wit of the Staircase." This blog was very popular in the literary community. I have to say, it's a bit over my head, but interesting and beautiful nonetheless.

I urge you to take a look at their story. It reads like a movie. Sometimes reality is stranger and more interesting than fiction.


7 comments:

a. said...

I actually knew of Theresa back in NYC when she was making the Smarty Pants CD's for girls.

Hey, I live near Sea Girt too - there are hardly any bloggers from NJ!

The Mrs. said...

I heard about this. So sad. I will have to read the whole story.

Tickled Pink And Green said...

Fascinating. I wonder what really happened.

Unknown said...

Weird question but what issue is that story in? I get NY Magazine and don't remember seeing it.

I'm a Jersey girl also. Grew up in Short Hills and spent and still spend every summer of my life on LBI! Live with my husband and kids in Rhode Island...I don't have a blog though I enjoy reading yours (and Alyssa's ) !!!

linda said...

Interesting....wonder what really happened?
Love reading your blog!

Avery Gray said...

Wow, what a gripping story! He sort of followed her descent into madness, didn't he? Talk about blind devotion!

Tickled Pink And Green said...

I know this is an old post -- but there is another long article on this couple in the brand new Vanity Fair (the one with Katherine Heigl on the cover). It is fascinating. Now I'm totally into this story.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.