3.30.2008

Scrolling Sunday...It's not easy being perfect.


There's a sickness in my town. Perhaps you've heard of it. It's called "I'm so busy and stressed out and it's all my own doing-itis!" The victims of this ailment are everywhere. How do we spot someone afflicted with "OVER SCHEDULED-itis?" Just ask them, "How are you?" You'll know immediately by their response. "Oh, I'm just so BUSY!! Sally has ballet and soccer this afternoon, then I have to get Bobby to hockey, there's a PTO meeting tomorrow morning and then I'm working the Book Fair. Saturday we have the Cancer Ball. I'm one of the chairs this year, so I'm still trying to gather all the donations for the Silent Auction. On Sunday it's Mary's birthday party and we're having 50 kids over. We're going to have a DJ and pony rides! I don't know how I'm going to get through this week...But next week is even BUSIER!!!" Whoa. Chill lady.

Now I do feel for the victims of this dreaded disorder. It's an exhausting way to live. I admire their chutzpah, but SOMETHINGS GOTTA GIVE! All things in moderation my friend. You've created this situation for yourself! Stop pretending to complain. You love it. If you don't, learn to say no. There are lots of people in this town willing to chip in.

As long as there are stay-at-home moms desperately in need of attention and validation this epidemic will continue. When you run across one of these poor souls, give them what they need. Marvel at their energy and commitment, tell them you just don't know how they do it! Have pity on them. It's not easy being Super Woman.


Now sing it like Chaka Khan!


I'm every woman, its all in me
Anything you want done, baby
I'll do it naturally
I'm every woman, its all in me
I can read your thoughts right now
Every one from a to z

I can cast a spell
With secrets you can't tell
Mix a special brew
Put fire inside of you
But anytime you feel
Danger or fear
Instantly I will appear, cause

chorus

I ain't braggin 'cause I'm the one
You just ask me ooh and it shall be done
And don't bother to compare
cause I've got it
I've got it, I've got it, yeah

I'm every woman!
I'm every woman!
I'm every woman!
I'm every woman!
I'm every woman!


P.S. I know I sound harsh-but that's what blogs are for! Are you with me?

There's a common saying: "If mom ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." If mothers are too pressured to enjoy life, then what hope is there for the rest of us?


18 comments:

Sasha said...

Well said! I dropped out of two community service organizations when I had my second- there just wasn't enough time to do it all. I don't miss those activities at all BTW!

Tickled Pink And Green said...

If motherhood has taught me anything, it's that (sadly) I am not a multi tasker.

Just tonight I was at a neighborhood association meeting and I was just chatting away afterwards and suddenly remembered I was suppose to pick up my daughter and 4 other girls from choir practice. I raced home, and saw where my husband had gone instead. Thank God! Oooh, my heart is still racing.

Elizabeth said...

My cousin has this bad and frankly I am so tired of hearing how busy she is that I swear I wanna go "Then stop already." I just change the subject now.

The 5 Bickies said...

I struggle with this busy-ness condition...I feel like I am doing less than years before but I still don't have "free" time. I am trying to step back and let others have a chance to step up and volunteer. It does seem to be working.

Anonymous said...

Nicely put. You go girl!

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

I agree... if you're TOO busy, then DO something about it.

B said...

okay, so you're my new hero!

i love how you said that if they didn't like it they wouldn't be doing it. right on, sista!

you've got a superb sense of humour.

Ned said...

I am with you. I say no a lot. Life is too short to be that stressed and over committed. One of my SIL's can not say no. Ever, and she is always taken advantage of.

The Mrs. said...

I am so sick of the BUSY word! You are so right that some mom's wear it like a badge of honor! I think it teaches your kids to be stressed before they're six! You have to slow things down and try to relax and cut some things out for goodness sakes!

Avery Gray said...

Sing it, sister!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I am with you 100%!

Somewhere Between Pinot and Pacifiers said...

Well said! My daughter is just about to be 4 and already I have run into so many moms with kids her age who are already acting like that! Ugh!

Anonymous said...

I've always thought that there should be a 12-step program for busy moms - the key lesson would be "How to Say No." Naturally it would be an online class - heaven forbid there be yet another place to schlep to in the course of the day.

Katie Ryan said...

I am so with you on this. Those moms are running all over my children's schools. Sometimes I find them so ridiculous that I know I stare just a couple of seconds too long just trying to take it all in. Know what I mean?

Elizabeth said...

OMG, you just touched on one of my giant pet peeves. Seriously. I'm so tired of hearing how busy everyone is. Ya know what, dumbasses, quit signing up for everything under the damn sun. Amazing how that works, huh?

HATE IT.

They wear it like a badge of honor. Barf.

Belle said...

I love this post. I can't believe I missed it the first time around. I know those Moms. I DO feel sorry for them and tell them "I don't know how you do it." However, I quit work to spend more time with my children, not to busy my schedule up with other commitments. (Which I'm not bashing, just not my thing.) I volunteer in moderation. The boys are allowed ONE sport a season, and sometimes, on a rainy day, after they leave for school, I might lay down and take a ...nap! Gasp! Those Moms used to make me feel guilty, but I got over it. You're so right. "If mommy ain't happy..."

Anonymous said...

And this is why I have no friends in this town - I have no patience for this terrible "affliction".

Amy said...

I totally hear you on this one! I have four so naturally I'm busy even without all of them in one sort of an activity or another. But I can honestly say I want to slap my neighbor who complains about her hectic schedule with her ONE child! Seriously?

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.