3.07.2008

Saving us from ourselves...


As of March 1st there is a law in New Jersey that makes using a hand held cell phone a primary offense, but allows drivers to talk as long as they use a hands free device. My cell phone contract was up for renewal and the speaker on my old phone was shot, so off I went to the Verizon Wireless store to shop phones and Bluetooth headsets. I'll save you the details, but I am now the proud owner of a Blackberry 8830 World Edition Smartphone, complete with Bluetooth bundle. Damn I'm so cool I can't handle it.

Here's the problem. (You knew there had to be a problem didn't you?) Setting up the damn thing is a full time job; internet connection, e-mail account, address list, Bluetooth synch. Holy hell. And the Bluetooth thing that hangs precariously off my ear! I have tilt my head completely to the side to keep it on. If I touch my hair it pops right out! I must have over sized ear canals!

I've gotta tell you, when my Blackberry rings and I have to get that Bluetooth going and answer my call, WATCH OUT. There is no way in hell this is safer than simply picking up my cell and holding it to my ear. Since I'm a law abiding citizen (and certifiable psycho) I will abide by NJ law and stick with my new hands free device aka instrument of aural torture and try to avoid hitting a tree in the process.

I know what you're thinking..I've seen the bumper stickers..."HANG UP AND DRIVE" And you know what, you're absolutely right, I think I will. My solemn vow, "*Until I've mastered the art of Bluetooth insertion and operation, I WILL NOT operate a motor vehicle and talk on the phone." Please be sure to read the *fine print in my solemn vow. I didn't promise that I wouldn't talk on the phone while driving forever. That would be completely unrealistic. Although I have to admit that I am completely amazed that there aren't more accidents on the road. It seems EVERYONE is on their phone while they drive. If you look at the statistics the real answer would be to outlaw cell phone use all together while driving. As much as I know the stats, even I would have a hard time enforcing that law.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, for instance, studied hundreds of crashes between 2002 and 2004 to evaluate the danger of cell phone use. The results, published in 2005 in the British Medical Journal, showed the use of cell phones by drivers increased the risk of a crash fourfold. They also showed there was virtually no difference in the crash rate of those using hand-held phones and those using hands-free ones.

I leave you with the musical stylings of Rihanna...

I got class like a '57 Cadillac
Got all the drive with a whole lot of boom in the back.
You look like you can handle whats under my hood
You keep saying that you will boy I wish you would


Goes from 0 to 60 in three point five
Baby you got the keys

Now shut up and drive
(Drive, drive, drive)
Shut up and drive
(Drive, drive, drive)

Fat chance of that happening!


13 comments:

Karen MEG said...

That is funny. I can't handle the new electronics much either, probably because I'm an old fart.
Did you have to reprogram all your contact numbers etc? What a hassle!

It's a great law, though. I know locally there were a couple of tragedies involving children in cars while their parents were on the cell.

I love Rihanna too; and that song really rocks!

justme said...

i will be watching out for you on river road

Tara R. said...

The Bluetooth does get easier... but I have had arguments with mine when the voice recognition isn't working right.

I love that Rhianna song too!

LunaNik said...

LOL...I can soooo relate! Luckily, my hubby is a total techie so he hooks me up. Seriously, when I get a new phone I don't even play around with it first. I just hand it to him. He hooks it all up and then shows me how to work it. Shit's so complicated nowadays!

Christine said...

I personally think it's equally as dangerous to drive with arguing children while trying to find a song they can agree upon, but that's just me.

By good friend just got an iPhone. She's blowing my MIND because she's loving reading the instructions cover-to-cover. Uh, yeah...me, I just wing it.

suchsimplepleasures said...

aargh...i posted a comment and the computer froze so it didn't take...dammit!!
well, i said something to the effect of...boobah...that's what i was talking about but couldn't think of the name!! hilarious description though!!
and...we have a two hand on the wheel at all time or die law...but, hey...laws are meant to be broken. at least i wear my seatbelt!!
i think bluetooth things are funny because people look like they are talking to themselves...maybe...that should be incentive NOT to talk on the phone in the car!!
i'm just saying...

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Congrats on the new tek-na-la-gee! I hope Catherine feels better soon.

Greens and Pinks said...

I have a bluetooth and I have never once used it. It sits in the package and mocks me (I'm SO technologically inept).

But Rihanna? Now THAT I love!

ShannanB said...

Wow. very cool. Those phones are really hard to set up but I am sure you'll be fine.

Congrats on the new fancy phone.

Blog Hopping~
Shannan aka Mommy Bits

MarĂ­a said...

I hate you and your fancy dancy new phone.

I hate Rhianna and her perfect body.


I hate you all.

April said...

2 thoughts: I put my headset on before I start driving so I'm ready if the phone rings.

2nd thought: my kids are way more distracting in the car than any phone call! Wonder if they'll outlaw in-car conversations down the line?

Blog Hoppin',
Balancing Hops

so tired said...

If you are cool, I believe you are supposed to walk around with the blue tooth device on your ear all of the time. So you aren't putting it on to answer the phone and taking it off when you are done. It's on and ready to go all of the time.

But what do I know. I'm not cool.

Anonymous said...

I got a new phone a couple weeks ago, and I'm still figuring things out (some, I will never even ATTEMPT to understand!). I like my Bluetooth gadget, but it is difficult to answer with. Good luck with your new toy, and BE SAFE!!

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.