3.16.2008

E.E.H.A.D. aka Easter Egg Hunt Anxiety Disorder

I almost forgot to mention. Today was our town's annual Easter Egg Hunt. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but Easter Egg Hunts stress me out. There is something about an activity where there is a limited amount of booty and head to head competition to obtain it that causes me anxiety.

The whole atmosphere gets my heart pounding, the way the eggs are cordoned off, all the parents lined up with their kids whispering directions in their ear, and then suddenly the whistle blows and THEY'RE OFF!! It takes every ounce of self control for me to resist the urge to help my kids pick up eggs. The same goes for my desire to intervene when I see other parents helping their kids gather eggs.
I did really well this year. I think all my Buddhism books are starting to pay off. I completely detached myself from the situation. I let my kids do whatever they wanted and we all left the park happy. Catherine even managed to score herself a prize winning egg all by herself! (She got a huge chocolate fire truck as her reward.)

Eight and a half years as a parent and I'm finally starting to get it. Hey, what can I say? I'm a slow learner!


8 comments:

Hair Girl said...

My boys are soooo competitive. I have to stand back and let them do it themselves, knowing that if they don't win a prize there will be tears. (I just call advice from the edge. wink,wink)

justme said...

oh so many of the same feelings. we had swim class and had to miss FH's - which i am secretly glad about.

LunaNik said...

Ugh, I hope I never have to deal with a town egg hunt. Only because I'm just like you only I don't have your restraint. I'd have to take a Valium or something just to deal with the events of the day!

Anonymous said...

Just tagged you with a very important assignment!

so tired said...

Our neighborhood has one too this coming Saturday. It gets me a little anxious too. Ours splits the kids up by age brackets. So every 10 minutes or so the next one goes. Well I have two kids in different brackets but one right after the other. So my husband and I usually split up so my son doesn't miss the "egg drop" at his. And I try to film it all.

I don't know. It doesn't sound like it should be stressful but I wind myself up for it anyway.

Oh and it is always raining and cold. But we never miss it....

Anonymous said...

It is so hard. I am glad that I will be on Lortab at this year's hunt!

Question-how did you get your design her gals to link here? I wanted to do that on my blog.

The Mrs. said...

I am soooooo you.

Snappy Casual Snippets said...

I think you have the right idea. Just let the kids run around and enjoy the hunt. I don't think they feel the pressure so why should you.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.