3.15.2008

Smokin' in the boys' room?

I just got back from a visit to my hometown. My best friend from childhood and her husband just bought a house there. We did a little tour of our old stompin' grounds in the minivan with my husband and two daughters.

As we drove around the parking lot of my old high school we pointed out the "smoker's lounge." It made us laugh. It seemed so normal back then, nowadays I can't imagine a high school with a smoker's lounge for students!! I wasn't a smoker, but I did have a thing for bad boys and spent many a free period hanging out in that smoker's lounge with my Farrah Fawcett hairdo and Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. Ah the memories!

I should find one of my old photos from high school and scan it so you can see the heinous hairdo I was sporting way back when. (Along with every other girl in town!) My sister and I would fight for mirror space every morning as we used our curling irons and round brushes to perfect our "wings" before we rushed off to school.

Okay, enough about the good old days...Tomorrow is a big day for me. My mixed doubles tennis team has our last match of the season. If we win this one we go to districts. (No pressure there!)

Wish me luck!


19 comments:

linda said...

Good luck on your tourney!
I am definately of your generation...had those "wings" too(!)

Elizabeth said...

Luck! Lots o' luck. Luck o' plenty!!!

MommyTime said...

Good luck!

Also, please post the photo. It will make the rest of us feel even more kinship because it undoubtedly looks like our yearbook gems too.

Maureen said...

OH, I just posted MY hair from 1977... a fro that was groovy back then!!!

Funny post.

Maureen
Blog Hoppin'

so tired said...

Can't wait to see the Farrah do!

Good luck tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Ok, this has me curious because the high school I went to also had a "smoker's lounge". Could this be a coincidence?

LunaNik said...

Good Luck!!

Oh, and I totally want you to post a pic of you and your "wings"!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ah, I remember those good, old days! Lots of luck at the match!

Maude Lynn said...

All the bad boys at my high school took their smoke breaks behind the gym. Naturally, I thought they were SO cool!

Good luck tomorrow!

April said...

Good luck!

Blog Hoppin',
Balancing Hops

Kate said...

Good luck!!

Hope you can find a photo of your Farrah 'do - I'd love to see it:)

Katie Ryan said...

Oh, I had the wings. There was a little boy next door that used to chase me around yelling, "Farrah, Farrah, Farrah." Wonder whatever happened to him? Anyway, good luck on your match. I'm sure you will do great. We just finished up our season, too. I won 2nd place in ladies singles in our city. Yeah!

Emily Suess said...

Best of luck with the tennis match! And thanks for the giggles. I too have fond memories of big bangs and "wings". :)

suchsimplepleasures said...

good luck!!

yeah, i remember a smoking lounge in my high school...where i spent every spare minute...but, i was a smoker AND i loved the bad boys!! our smoking lounge got shut down when a fight broke out and someone smashed in a window. it was a very sad day for our high school. a very sad day, indeed!!

MarĂ­a said...

Good luck lady!

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your match!

Yep - we had a smoking area at my high school as well - I avoided it like the plague. Luckily they did away with it at the end of my freshman year. (Of course as it was Kentucky it took them until 1991 to realize that encouraging high school students to smoke was maybe not the brightest idea!)

Somewhere Between Pinot and Pacifiers said...

Good luck! Please post a pic. for us. I love looking at old yearbook photos!

Genuine Lustre said...

We actually had a glassed-in "smoker's hallway" at our school. Imagine!

The 5 Bickies said...

Smoking room - that brings back memories. My alma mater was a girls' boarding/day school and we had a smoking room for the boarders. If your parents signed the permission slip, you could sit and smoke. I am sure they no longer have the smoking room. When I was there for my 20th reunion that room was now the school store! I wonder if the smokers are still smoking. I'll have to find out at my 25th reunion, if they show up!

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.