10.28.2007

PMS and Nutrition: A Case Study

This post is divided into two sections. PMS and Nutrition.

I'll start with PMS:

Those of you who have followed my blog for the past couple of months may be familiar with my general testiness and depression for a couple of days every four weeks. Well...It's that time of the month again (just in time for all the craziness Halloween brings) and according to my calendar-this little spell of emotional instability will fall right around Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. A little word of advice to any family members reading this. Please keep an industrial size bottle of Midol handy for my holiday visit this year!!! Anyway, this month I knew exactly what was going on when I started to feel extra sensitive and depressed-and I spared those in my path any of my venom by talking myself through it and realizing that my sanity would return within a day or so. Even though I know the cause, it still sucks feeling tired and bummed out for 48-72 hours every month!

Now onto the next topic: Nutrition.

My husband is convinced that my lack of energy and general nastiness once a month is associated with my lousy diet and massive intake of Diet Coke. He might be onto something. I good friend of mine who appears to be in great shape felt exhausted and short tempered by one o'clock every afternoon. She decided to see a nutritionist. Well, she tells me, the results have been nothing short of miraculous. she feels much more positive, has tons of energy and her body fat level has dropped dramatically. I don't know all the details-but she has cut out sugar and wheat, eats piles of leafy vegetables and drinks a special protein shake every morning. She says her nutritionist is expensive, but worth every penny. It really is FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

So, now in addition to cutting down on my spending, I need to work on eating healthier and cutting down on one of my favorite vices-THE BIG GULP! The quest for self improvement never ceases!!

How about you ladies and gent? Are you healthy eaters-or are you like me? Subsisting on a diet of Slimfast, pasta, McDonald's snack wraps and Swedish Fish?

If I can follow through with my goal I might need to change the title of my blog to:
"Carrot Court" The veggie, wheat germ and protein shake fueled existence of a tennis loving mom who hates to shop!

"Nutrition makes me puke."

-Jimmy Piersall


6 comments:

Traci Anne said...

I'm so with you! (As I sit here with a giant cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee with amaretto creamer) I've seriously considered cutting out sugar and wheat... but I LOVE carbs and have such a sweet tooth!! Hmmmm.

Genuine Lustre said...

I am 41, and a healthy eater ( other than waaay too much coffee), and it's true - I do feel so much better when I cut the carbs and sugar.Taking a calc/mag supplement also helps with the pms.

For me, PMS manifests itself as rage. The night before, I hate my family, my house is a piece of junk, and I dream of running away. The day my period starts - I love everybody and we are all so cozy! tra-la-la!

Suburban prep said...

I am trying to cut down on the sugar myself. I am 44 and try to eat healthy with fruits and veggies. But every now and again my sweet tooth really kicks in. I agree with Polly because I have been taking extra Magnesium every day since April and it has done a world of good.

Tickled Pink And Green said...

First you declare you're not going to be buying any more crap, and now you don't want to put any more crap in your body?

Are you trying to make the rest of us feel and look bad?!

Stop it with the strong discipline thing you got going - it's really annoying me! ;-)

Avery Gray said...

Oh, I'm just like you! Diet Coke should just be pumped intravenously to my system. And leafy greens? What are those? ;o)

Thanks for the comment, BTW!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I'm feeling your pain (as I drink a Diet Coke typing this). Cutting it out is oh-so-hard!

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.