10.25.2007

A pound of flesh...


As usual-this is not me-just another fool who skipped the sunblock.










Okay people-since Halloween is almost here I thought I'd gross you out and scare you at the same time.

This is the ghost of sunburns past-stopping by to haunt you! "WEAR YOUR SUNBLOCK-STAY OUT OF THE SUN! GO SEE YOUR DERMATOLOGIST FOR A BODY CHECK!!!!"

I'm one of those Irish-German people who sunburns. For many years I roasted in the sun with my darker skinned cronies. Now I'm paying the price. My dermatologist biopsied a dysplastic nevi on my rib area and it had some abnormal cells soooo, I had to get sliced and diced yesterday. He took a big chunk of skin and now I have 17 nasty looking stitches! Everything looks to be fine-but it's ugly and it hurts! Good news is I have to rest-and my husband has been helping out. Bad news-no tennis for a week!

Trust me-a savage tan is NOT worth it.

(A little flashback: We were not allowed to read Merchant of Venice in High School because our Board of Education thought it was Anti-Semitic)


Pound of flesh

Meaning
Something which is owed that is ruthlessly required to be paid back.

Origin
This of course derives from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice, 1596. The insistence by Shylock of the payment of Antonio's flesh is the central plot device of the play:

SHYLOCK:
The pound of flesh which I demand of him Is deerely bought, 'tis mine, and I will haue it.

The figurative use of the phrase to refer to any lawful but nevertheless unreasonable recompense dates to the late 18th century.


5 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

Amen Sister. It's been 6 yrs since my diagnosis of melanoma. White is beautiful!

Tickled Pink And Green said...

Ooooh that is painful to look at. What I wouldn't give for fake tanning lotion to have been invented when I was in my younger years. With all the new information about how bad this stuff is AND with all the new alternatives (tanning mists, etc.) why in the world would anyone still lay out for hours in the sun? Or worse, use a tanning bed?

Traci Anne said...

As a 23-year-old who has had more than her fair share of sunburns... it's self-tanner for me all the way!

Suburban prep said...

I am so fair and very Irish. My father has had skin cancer removed from different parts of his face and chest. My sister has some removed from her back. I just cringe everytime I see someone out there tanning themselves.

Alexis Black said...

Call you tomorrow Jill! I didn't even know! I feel sooo bad. Hope you are recovering quickly. Ouch. I did finally go get checked myself and had a mole removed..I feel better having gone. Remember the days of baby oil and tin foil...beautiful. Oh, and the doctor I went to had treated my grandfather. Got to love Vermont. Be well.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.