10.05.2007

Stuff


I used this as the quote of the day a while ago:

A house is just a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get more stuff. –George Carlin

Of course I think it's funny-but I have to say that in so many cases it's sadly true. While cleaning out my closet I thought about how hard we work to accumulate and maintain our material goods. It really is a drag. On the one hand, I love nice furniture, having a home with room for company, living in a great town. On the other hand, the clothes must be ironed, or dry cleaned, rooms painted and repainted, window treatments purchased. The list goes on and on. By the time you get your to-do list done, something else is in disrepair. What is the solution? Do we all become monks and live in pristine rooms with only a mattress on the floor? It hardly seems realistic!

I don't know the answer, but I am trying to do my part in a very suburban way. No more Target trips for awhile. It's too tempting and I can't leave the store with less than $200 worth of STUFF in my cart. Absolutely no trips to the dollar store. All that comes home is CRAPPY STUFF that clutters up the playroom and gets chewed up by the dogs. I've got to break my daughter of her Webkinz obsession. They are overtaking her room and getting on my nerves!

As for clothes, I stopped reading Lucky Magazine. I love fashion and I get a kick out of trying the latest trends. The fact of the matter is I'm not in a position financially to make frivolous purchases. This magazine which touts itself as "The magazine about SHOPPING and style" prods me to do just that, SHOP...and I don't need the temptation. Besides, while cleaning out my closet I discovered lots of adorable things that I had completely forgotten about. That should hold me over through the fall!

When we renovated our house two years ago we threw out PILES of toys and clothes. It was such a relief to rid ourselves of the clutter. I come from a long line of shoppers and pack rats. I think it's in my DNA to go to Marshalls, AC Moore and Toys R Us, which makes me all the more determined to practice self-control and find a diversion (caffeine, blogging, playing with the girls) when I want to venture out for more STUFF.

I'll leave you with this:

We don't need to increase our goods nearly as much as we need to scale down our wants. Not wanting something is as good as possessing it. ~Donald Horban


5 comments:

The Mrs. said...

I am so with you! It's hard not to want everything all the time. I sometimes ban myself from catalogs just because it keeps you in wanting mode! Better to have gratitude for what you have!

Tickled Pink And Green said...

You are cracking me up with all your newfound wisdom. My mom would be so proud of you. I'm a big pack rat and it drives her crazy. And I know what you mean about the Webkinz, my daughter loves them too, and I said you have ENOUGH...(I think she has 6 or 7?) One of her friends has, like 40!

Ned said...

I am also trying to avoid the Target and spending..it is so hard. You are right about the DNA thing that is so my mom shopper and pack rat!

The 5 Bickies said...

Sure wish I had read this post before I went to Nordstrom Rack today. See today's post on my blog. I promise I am going to stop...NOW!

linda said...

Great post! I totally agree- those Target trips always seem to end up at least $200.- and all I usually go in for was a mop or other utilitarian item. Better to go to the ( more expensive) but local store for those trips as it really saves money.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.