11.08.2007

Can we get personal?


I want to talk to you about something very personal. It's not sex or politics. It's much more intimate than that. Come closer...okay, here we go..I want to talk about money, or more specifically, budgets! Wait, get back here! I know how you feel. When people (aka my husband) try to talk budgets with me-I run for the hills. Those days are over.


For the past couple of years I've been responsible for paying the bills. One trampoline, many tennis lessons a few too many trips to Banana Republic and one very extensive home renovation later, I've been asked to resign my position as Family Accountant. In all seriousness-I'm freaked out about the whole thing. I like having control (I prefer driving to being a passenger, I try to lead when dancing...) BUT, if it makes our life better in the long run-I'm all for it!

As some of you may know-I am constantly trying (key word there) to improve myself. Cutting down on Diet Coke, passing up gossip magazines, cleaning out my closet (my god I'm like Mother Theresa!)

My next hurdle is becoming a more fiscally responsible person. Today-I did what my husband has been begging me to do for years. I did an Excel spreadsheet with a proposed budget. We are still in negotiations, but I am going to surrender my control for awhile and see how it works. I have to say, so far the process has been way less painful than I anticipated and my proposed weekly allowance is quite generous! I should have agreed to this years ago.

Happy Homemaker posted about her "Marriage Saving Budget". I was amazed! Reading her post was like reading about people on another planet! Incredible. I feel that I was drawn to that posting by a higher power. So, my friends, wish me luck on yet another endeavor to improve my life.

How about you ladies and gentlemen? Please share. Are you super organized and completely aware of where all your money is going? Or are you a fly by the seat of your pants kind of creature? (Like me!) Do tell! Don't be shy, according to Sitemeter only 60 people read this blog each day!

"We didn't actually overspend our budget. The allocation simply fell short of our expenditure."

-Keith Davis



8 comments:

PaperCourt said...

I am a money control freak and so far my husband has given me control of the checkbook. He is REALLY anal about money but so busy with work that he rarely asks! I've been thinking about Happy Homemaker's budget. I think I'm afraid to see where the money goes.

Alexis Black said...

Big step! Impressive. Do you have a Palm? We already do a budget much like Happy Homemakers and we have for a long time. I keep a running tally on my Palm so I know where I am at all the time and I can easily see if I have extra money in one category I can use for another, etc. That said, I don't think we have ever not bought something because we didn't have the money. Hmmm? Small glitch in our plan, but we do know exactly where it goes...I keep ALL my receipts...always have. You know who is more organized than my beloved brother, right?

Somewhere Between Pinot and Pacifiers said...

I am not a money control freak. Luckily, my hubby is very generous and does not get on to me too bad about it. I am very budget minded-I know my limits. I just don't stress over it. I am going to try a budget similar to Happy Homemaker's also. We will see how it goes!

Candace said...

I need to be better. I read "make money not excuses" but I'm scared of a budget because that would be reality. an excel sheet? well, first I'd have to figure out how to use excel and I really, really want our new MARVIN SLIDING GLASS DOORS and the kids MUST have gymnastics....
AHHH!! Denial.
I need to do the budget. I get a pit in my stomach when hubby brings it up. But he likes to spend it just as much as I do! Have you read The Secret? Just imagine money and it's yours.....
I'm still trying that approach..!

The Mrs. said...

I am just like you. I run for the hills. The hills of denial. I hate money conversations but Happy homemaker seems to have great buget ideas so I'm going to try and give it a shot! I am the one in charge so i have to take charge! I do keep all receipts though, so I am a little organized!!

Kim said...

I never met a dollar I didn't want to spend. DOTR never met a dollar he didn't want to save.

He'd be a kajillionaire by now if he hadn't married me and had four kids.

Thankfully, after about ten years of him saying "if you don't want to work you can worry about how to pay for it" he took back the whole thing 5 years ago or so and I just pretty much spend what I want....until I'm told to slow down and then I do.

linda said...

Unfortunately, we spend spend spend....Love to shop, however, I am going to try Happy Homemakers budget idea....I am organized in every other part of my life except here, oddly enough.

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

You are hilarious! You're so right, though, pretty funny how money is more personal than sex these days! I hope you give some sort of budget a try because in the case of money, ignorance is not bliss. Good luck and please let me know if you have any questions!

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.