1.22.2008

A trip down memory lane with the boy next door...


Yesterday I called a friend of mine from childhood who grew up next door to me. His name is Frank and now he's a married father of three and a partner in a law firm. I wanted to rib him a little about our upcoming 25 year high school reunion. (There is no way in hell he'll go!) I also needed some free legal advice on a business idea my husband has. Anyway,we got to talking about the old times and he reminded me of a story that completely cracked me up! (All the funnier that it was about me...don't we all love a good funny story about ourselves!?)

Here's the story. Senior year in high school, Frank's parents went away for the weekend and he had a party. One of our friends, Lauren L. got drunk at the party and went home wasted. Her mother was really angry and called Frank's house. She left a message with Frank for his mother to call her back. Frank was shaking in his boots. He was a very well behaved kid who was not used to getting in trouble. Lucky for him he lived next door to a not so well behaved girl who always had a plan.


I've had a low, rather mature voice my starting at about age 12. So I called Lauren's mother pretending to be Frank's mom. (These were the days before caller ID). I apologized for what happened to her daughter at my home. I then assured her that I would not be leaving my sons EVER again and that my son, Frank was grounded for a month.

I was extremely convincing and she bought it hook, line and sinker. Problem solved.

It was so funny to talk about some of the funny times we had growing up, and I didn't feel so bad about asking for free legal advice when I was reminded of how my buddy owed me BIG TIME for bailing him out 25 years ago!

Anyway, my conversation with my childhood friend reinforced how excited I am to go to the reunion and laugh with by buds about the "good old days!"


15 comments:

Avery Gray said...

Hope you have a great time at the reunion! What a hoot!

Anonymous said...

you are grounded no statute of limitations

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

Too funny!

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

You are soooo on restriction. Bad, bad girl...

suchsimplepleasures said...

i went to my 20, last august! it was a BLAST!! i had so much fun. it was amazing to see how everyone changed.
enjoy your reunion!! btw..funny story!

Scylla said...

I really enjoyed my reunion. There was something fantastic about reconnecting with all the usual suspects.

MarĂ­a said...

Was there a time before caller ID???
:p

david mcmahon said...

Frank-ly speaking, that's a great memory!! I'm so glad you shared it with us.

Tara R. said...

Coming up on my 26th... we could have been hs pals... I bet we would have been good friends, as least based on this one story. =)

Melly said...

Just curious if you guys ever shared the story with Frank's mom? Over the years I've "come clean" with a few high school stories and much to my surprise my parents were well aware of most of them...It's my 25th this year, too. Can't wait!!

Tickled Pink And Green said...

Oh that's hilarious. That reminds me of how when I was young I could make my voice sound like my brother's voice - who was only a grade ahead of me in school. Naturally I had a crush on all his friends and when they'd call up I'd pretend to be him and they'd start yakking away and telling me juicy stuff. Then my brother would notice and chase me to my parent's bedroom. Good times, good times.

Anonymous said...

whoops forgot that your mommy read this:)

Maggie said...

I'm sure you'll have another perspective on this episode when your own child comes home drunk from a friend's unsupervised party.

Caffeine Court said...

Maggie-

Your absolutely right, which is why neither one of my daughters is leaving the house without me until they're 18!

But seriously, you absolutely right, I'm sure I'll be livid when my time comes.

Candace said...

this reminded me of a good one from high school that my hubs used to pull. he'd call his mom late while he was out roaming the streets of the bronx with his friends and when she answered the phone he'd say, "I got it mom, go back to bed." She thought he was home and that was the end of being grounded for coming home past curfew!

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.