1.26.2008

SCROLL DOWN SATURDAY

Here's a post from back in September. What did you do before you did what your doin' now?
(Did you follow that?)

<<<< That's me now!


What did y'all do for a career pre-children? If you are working, what type of job do you have?

I quit my job working for the American Red Cross in Blood Services ( I ran blood drives and recruited donors) when my oldest daughter was born in 1999.

Before that I was a bit of a rebel. After college I held a myriad of jobs including production assistant at QVC. (I promise to write all about that another time, so many great stories!) I also worked in production at Radio City Music Hall as well as freelance. I did (and still do) voice-overs and print ads. (I played a housewife before I ever actually became one!) In between gigs I sustained myself with bartending, waitressing and temp work in Manhattan.


Sometimes I miss my life in my twenties. I'd never go back, (I'm a little too old to live on the edge again) but my friends were really funny. My acting and entertainment friends were very upfront about their shortcomings, we knew everything about each other and we would always find the humor in some of the most depressing situations! Now I'm in my early forties and live in a town where for many people it's all about appearances, lots of Wall Street types, not too much diversity. Luckily for me I've found a great group of friends who aren't wrapped up in the BS and we all have a great time "keepin' it real."


14 comments:

Ned said...

I have a fine arts degree in Fashion Merchandising. Never used it. I managed a independent insurance agency from 1990-1996. From 1997-2006 I was the bookkeeper for a property management company. Dull work but I had the best suits!

Tickled Pink And Green said...

Oh, I've done it all! You'd had some great jobs!

The 5 Bickies said...

After my college graduation I got a job as an insurance underwriter. I stayed with them and worked my way up the ranks to regionsl managar. I "retired" after I had my second child. My job grew as my family grew and the timing was all wrong. My husband still works for the same company and they swear they will take me back any time. Whether it's true or not, that's all I need to hear! I do hope my next career is more creative and fun....hmmm, what will that be?

Suburban prep said...

Oh do tell about QVC.
I worked for Nordstroms in LA for a year out of college and then returned home to the Midwest and was a teacher and a dorm parent at the high school I went to.
I was the Financial Mgr of a catalog and I was there the longest (14.5yrs). I then worked part-time at a local clothing store that has since closed. Now I just run (drive) back and forth between my house and my parents and my sisters helping them. My sister has two little guys 17 months and 2.5 yrs.

Candace said...

I am a recovering actress too! I so miss the ease and comfort of my actor/artist friends in my life daily. It is a struggle to be open in this group of conservative mommys! there is a screaming goofball in me that can only come out when I'm with my actor friends! (or blogging!)

Avery Gray said...

Man, I shoulda done something with my twenties! My jobs sucked.

The Mrs. said...

I was a model, then an actress, and a waitress, bartender and coat check girl in between! Miss those days too sometimes, or at least I think I do when I romanticize! I do miss the arty friends though! Still have a few!

linda said...

I was an insurance underwriter too!

suchsimplepleasures said...

i never graduated from college! i have almost 7 years under my belt but, no degree...i was too indecisive and then...i just dropped out!!! stupid! stupid! stupid!!!
anyway...you should go over to scrolling saturday and add your name to the linky thingy...every saturday!!!
hope you are having an awesome weekend!!

Unknown said...

Awesome blog! I found you from weekend bloghoppin'

"Makeshift Sinatra"
from the weekend bloghoppers

Momisodes said...

Wow...you've had some very interesting jobs :)

I was a neonatal ICU nurse up until about 1 year ago. I was a traveling nurse for a year and then met hubby while on assignment!

Other jobs I had during my fun twenties living in Miami included a bit of modeling....no acting for me. I'm terrible at it...

Kim said...

I was in advertising sales, then event planning for a corporate caterer, then advertising sales, then 4 kids.

In college I was a bartender...and advertising sales. The thing I learned....I hate sales.

The Wife said...

I was a librarian. Believe it or not I actually have good stories about this - no seriously!

Candace said...

I LOVE reading these posts about your "former" life. Maybe we need a reality tv show about two former "creative" types who have moved to conservative suburbia! I'm finding my way but it's tough to fit in still. I'm sensitive too so some days the pre-school/highschool really gets to me. I get so mad at myself for it. I try and think of all my actor friends and how much I value who they are and our friendships.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.