1.06.2008

Scroll Down Sunday

Such Simple Pleasures gave me the idea of recycling posts I did way back when before anyone read my blog. I say it's like reruns for blogging.

Here's one from my first month blogging... THE DRUDGERY OF HOUSEWORK


I love staying home with my girls-but one of the toughest parts of my job is THE HOUSEWORK. I try to make it fun-and to enjoy the process. I read books on Buddhism and try to enjoy the feel of the sponge in my hand as a scrub the shower, the humming sound of the vacuum, the smell of Pledge. Unfortunately I have "Monkey Mind" and have the attention span of a squirrel. I try to motivate myself with rewards. "If I can unload the dishwasher and put away all the dishes in one session-I can call my sister." "If I can clean all the windows in the family room-I can read the newspaper."

I try to see housework as exercise. Deep knee bends when picking up toys-STRETCH to reach cobwebs-SPRINT up and down stairs tending to requests for sippy cups or popcorn while attempting to reorganize a closet or make a bed.

In order to motivate myself I try to tell myself that I really LOVE having a clean sparkling house. That I take pride in having spotless baseboards and shiny granite counter tops. Not that I am simply trying to avoid the browbeating I will receive when my husband returns from work and exclaims-"What did you do all day!!!!?"

So here I sit at my computer-surrounded by dust bunnies, Barbies and dog hair. I guess I should get to work-but first I need to check my e-mail!!!


7 comments:

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

So funny and true! What a great re-run! And thank you for the sweet comment!

Somewhere Between Pinot and Pacifiers said...

I could have written this myself. I ENJOY a clean house. I HATE cleaning it. Partly because as soon as it is clean and I can enjoy it, things are falling apart again!

Kate said...

I am so with you on this! I can't relax if my house is messy, but with a three 1/2 year old & 19 mth old...clean is a very relative term! I keep toying with getting a part time housekeeper, but I'm pretty particular about how I like things done & don't know if I should heap that bitchery on someone else!!

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. I hate a messy house and try to keep it up. I admit however, that both the playroom and the sunroom do not get cleaned as regularly as the rest of the house. They are designated dumping grounds and repositories for all the clutter that would otherwise accumulate in the rest of the house.

Suburban prep said...

I am not a SAHM but I am a SAHW (wife)--medical reasons. I love a clean house and while it is most of the time there are times when I really have to push myself to do certain chores.
While I may not be earning a pay check I do help others (parents --who are in their 70's and other family members wheo have young children). So alot of my time isn't really my time. Hubby can't understand what I do with my day most of the time.
I know it is hard for him to believe sometimes but I am busy most days.
When we got married I was working full-time and well what happened to me took the job away.

suchsimplepleasures said...

oh, good post! been there, done that!!! seriously, watch all the crap pile up around me, while banging the keys on the computer!!
i'm so glad you liked the idea...join us next saturday...or suffer the wrath bwahahahahahaha

workinthatpreppy said...

i just can't seem to get it done...i guess i could get off this computer...you know, ever since blogging, my house has become a little messier....oh well...

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.