1.20.2008

Do you believe?


You're alone in your house, on the computer, making a bed. or reading a book. All of a sudden you get a weird feeling. The feeling that you are NOT alone. Maybe you aren't. MAYBE there is someone or SOMETHING that you can't see keeping you company. MAYBE you have a ghost!!

Okay, before you call me a total freak, hear me out. When Brad and I first got married we lived in a 100 year old house. Sometimes when I was alone I would feel like there was someone else there with me. I never saw anything, I just had the strange feeling that I was not alone when I was the only one home.

We moved out of that house and kept it as a rental property. One day I was chatting with a tenant and she said to me. "Do you know that your house is haunted?" I was surprised and acted like I didn't know what she was talking about. (Hey - we needed the rent money!!) "Oh yeah" she said, "it's definitely haunted. Lights switch on and off, doors move, that house is haunted." Hmmm. Later on I found out that a 9 month old little girl had died in the house in the early 80s. I don't know if that has anything to do with what I felt, but I did think about it from time to time.

A friend of mine is convinced that the new house she moved into is haunted. Her 6 year old daughter has said she has seen a man "dressed in Daddy's clothes" standing in the master bedroom looking out the window. The kids in the neighborhood call their house "the haunted house, " and I get that "weird feeling" in certain rooms, including the master bedroom.

The construction workers who renovated our current house found a working well from the 1800s while digging in our backyard. They asked if I ever saw the movie "The Ring." (I haven't) Apparently someone uncovers a well which releases evil spirits who stir up all kinds of horror. It freaked me out for about a second, and I have never had the "feeling" in our current house, so I think our well was free of evil spirits!! :)

Anyway, these construction guys specialized in old homes and they had some ghost stories from some homes they had worked on. The stories were really fun to listen to. It reminded me of being at summer camp or a sleepover party.

So. What do you think? Have you ever had the "weird feeling" that I told you about..or have I read too many Stephen King novels?

DO YOU BELIEVE???


17 comments:

Kate said...

Our current house is new but I definitely believe in spooky old houses! I can't believe that you have the Gus book up there! My kids love that book:)

Anonymous said...

DON"T WATCH THE RING!!! At least if you get freaked out easy.

I live in a pre-war apt complex that was turned in to condos. At one point there quite a bit of death and drug deals happening not that long ago.

We have some of the same creepy stuff go down. I am not much of a church goer, but I pray every night for God to protect me from whatever is wondering around out in the hall. Because there is definitely something there. It not just the floors creaking.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes - I believe! When we were looking at houses, we went through one that is in the older Victorian-era neighborhood at the bottom of our hill. I had bad vibes the entire time I was in the place, but my husband insisted I was crazy and that it was my imagination. Later we found out that back in the 1930's a man who was there as a dinner guest had a heart attack and died in the dining room. Ah ha! Always nice to be proven right and thank goodness we didn't buy the place.

I believe it is still on the market. Let me know if you're interested! :-)

justme said...

ahhh one of my friends moved into a new house and her daughter and husband have seen an old woman....she told the story and i had chills !!!

I live in FH - i know i am a FREAK but i do not really like sending out the info. my email is feener44@gmail.com if you want to email me. we are right next door to ya !!!!

Anonymous said...

We live in an old house & there are times that I think we have visitors. The cats will be sitting next to me & start watching something(kinda like someone walking down the hallway). Not so bad if Sweet Fireman is here, but if he is on duty...it really freaks me out.

LunaNik said...

Yes I believe!!!! Growing up I always got that "I'm not alone" feeling. But, to my knowledge no one ever passed away in that house.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm up in Northern Jersey...minutes away from Newark Airport, literally minutes. Jealous aren't you? Yes, yes, of course you are, because it smells soooooo lovely up in this part of Jersey. ;)

I like your blog. I'll be back regularly!!

suchsimplepleasures said...

unfortunately...i've had a few of "those" feelings...and, seeing as i'm about to go to bed...i'm not talking about it right now because, i'll be too freaked out!!

a. said...

OMG - I loved that book and yes I believe. I think we have one that's friendly. I can't watch those scary movies because they freak me out too much!

Traci Anne said...

Yes!!! In my old apartment on the Upper East Side, we had two very weird things...

1. Late at night, my roommate and I would each hear weird sounds like a party going on in our living room, or the TV on loudly. When we'd go out there, it would get dead silent (and no TV or people!)

2. In my room, right above my bed, some nights (at least three times a week), it would reek of cigarette smoke... but only in a two foot radius immediately above my bed when I was lying down. If I stood up, no smell. It was the ONLY place in the apartment that would happen. Neither of us are/were smokers.

CREEPY.

Anonymous said...

Laughing at the Quote of the day. What EMO been up to? Could you investigate where are they now comics. DH

Somewhere Between Pinot and Pacifiers said...

YES! Our house is not old, but we have friends who have had creepy things happen to them in their older home. Also, at our old house we had a few weird things occur. I am so glad I read this in the A.M and not before I went to bed!!!!!

Genuine Lustre said...

I have weird feelings too - I see things out of the corner of my eye all the time, but friendly things.

However, every once in a while I'll wake up in the night with a pervading sense of evil. Prayer and a crucifux help!

Genuine Lustre said...

p.s. - I had all the Gus books.

david mcmahon said...

G'day from Australia, (from a former tennis writer who used to cover Wimbledon!)

My forthcoming novel has a couple of ghost scenes. And some weeks ago, on Weekend Wanderings I asked my readers if they had ever had any ghostly experiences. The responses were amazing!

Momo Fali said...

Had to laugh at atlanta social's comment. I had a friend who got up to feed her newborn in the middle of the night, just after watching The Ring, and she was too scared to walk from the nursery back to her room!

Anyway, yes...I do believe. I think that spooky, tingly means something.

Honeybell said...

Oh goodness . . . I used to work in a haunted convent. The Church evidently agreed, as a priest came to perform an exorcism on the building!

Avery Gray said...

Not in any place I've lived, but my husband has a friend who used to live in some renovated officer's quarters on an old military base. The place was beautiful, but right next door was a huge old building that used to be the base's mental ward. He and my husband grew up in the area, so they have heard all the creepy stories about the place. They regaled me with some of them, and I got goosebumps! It didn't help that we were talking about it outside in the middle of the night when my back was turned to it, and my husband kept running his fingers up my back.

Jackass.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.