9.11.2008

Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?


Do you lock your doors every night? I do.


Before I go to bed, I walk around the house securing every window and door.


My husband doesn't do it. He goes to bed without so much as a thought to checking the doors. He drives into a very tough neighborhood in Newark every day with his car doors unlocked. I always remind him, "Remember to lock your doors, PLEASE!!" It doesn't mean he doesn't care about safety. He just doesn't worry about those things. I wish I could be as trusting as he is.


I lock the doors because I'm afraid. I fear a carjacking, or a home invasion. I worry about the safety of my children and I want to protect my family at all costs. Do I need to be so careful? I don't know, but I'm not taking any chances.


Today marks the 7 year anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the United States.



Yesterday, I went to my county's 9/11 Memorial. 147 people from Monmouth County died that day. I'm sure they locked their doors at night. Those they loved would have done anything to keep them from harm. But there was nothing they could do to protect them that sunny September morning. I still tremble when I remember the horror of that day.


When I go to bed I will pray for the families that couldn't save their loved ones, and I will hope that someday I can share my husband's feeling of well being.
Unfortunately there are some times when all the locks in the world won't do a damn thing. All we can do is have faith that somehow, everything will be okay.
"Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops...at all.


-Emily Dickinson


9 comments:

Diva Ma @ Mommy Fabulous said...

I secure my house.... not because I have to, but just in case. Security.

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

Very thoughtful.

scargosun said...

I would love to leave the kitchen windows open at night but alas. My DH is more paranoid than I.

Anonymous said...

My husband sounds like yours, and I sound just like you!

My thoughts & prayers are with each and every person that lost a loved one that horrible day!

Tickled Pink And Green said...

Ooooh this is a big peeve of mine about my Hubby. All my childhood it was my own dad who always made sure everything was locked up at night. Always.

My hubby isn't like this. He can be very lax and we get into fights about it. I think this is a man's job to think about the safety of the home!! Grrrr... I think he resents it when I bring up my dad did it and that's what I am use to and expect.

We use to live in New Jersey and one time I was flying in very late at night into Newark. I was tired and driving on the highway to go home to Bedminister. I accidentally took a wrong turn and I realized I was heading right into inner Newark. I remember my life flashed before my eyes and I just knew this was it. I was going to die in the streets of Newark. It seemed all the blood drained from my body and I just went weak with fear. The only thing I thought I could do was run every single light or stop sign and hope for the best. And if a cop stopped me...GOOD!

Well, as you can see I made it out of there alive, but I don't think I've ever been so scared in my life.

cancersucks said...

Very well said. Love your quote and post.

Jaina said...

Wow. That was very moving. We have a 9-11 memorial here on campus. And I didn't get to see it because I was working and then in class, but at the time of each crash, one Navy Officer Candidate and one Enlisted Marine marched the the monument to post and render honors at the time of each of the plane crashes. It's a beautiful little memorial we have here, it's quite peaceful there. I nearly cried when I read the email about what they were going to do to honor the memory.
Thank you for such a beautiful post.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I was never a "door locker" growing up, but now I would never leave our house unlocked. In fact, our door is locked even when we area home. And I live in a smalltown in a rural area.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.