9.16.2008

Delusions of Grandeur...

So I received an e-mail today from a Contributing Editor at New York Magazine. It read, "I enjoy your blog and would love to speak about a piece I'm working on."



So I start thinking, "Hmmm, I wonder what he's writing about?? Perhaps a piece on suburban housewives who drink too much Diet Coke, play tennis and spend lots of time on the computer! I've hit the big time, my blog is going to be FAMOUS!!!"

I called him right back.


Guess what? He WASN'T writing a piece on hyperactive, minivan driving, Jersey moms. He was writing a piece on Lehman Brothers and wanted to pump me for information on my friend and any other people I know who are out on their ass.

He asked alot of questions about my friend..."Was her husband pretty high up in the company?" "They must have lived a pretty affluent lifestyle, huh?" "Is she panicking?" "Are they going to be able to make it through the next few months without a salary?"

I wasn't going to go there. It's not my place to speak for the people who lost their jobs. I can only speak for myself.

Bottom line, if any of you Contributing Editors out there want to write a

feature on the masterpiece known as "Caffeine Court" you know where to find me!


19 comments:

Linda S said...

Almost got your 15 minutes...maybe next time...hope your friend makes out ok...it's very scary...

Yellow Beads said...

Oh that's a sneaky way for them to get a piece of information! Unbelievable!!

Anonymous said...

That's sneaky.

Anonymous said...

shit! you're almost famous! :)

Petunia said...

Ugh! I can't stand the newspaper. Around here we call it one-sided drivel/rubbish/nonsense.
The Palm Beach post is the worst. They wrote up a bunch of false garbage about us a few weeks ago!! Oh, they love them some scandal, and if it's not there then they'll make it up. I actually wrote a response letter to the editor which they printed in a revised form. I had used the word "malicious" to describe the columnists' piece and they deleted that from my response!

Petunia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Unfreakin' believable!!!

linda said...

What nerve!

Bridget said...

good grief! Glad you didn't fall for that one. You should have mentioned you met Beetlejuice over the summer :D

beach mama said...

Wow. What a jerk. Glad you told him to go scratch.

jenn said...

How sleazy! Major props to you for not dishing on your poor friend. :)

Anonymous said...

How rude and underhanded! No one should exploit people when they are down.

The Sorority said...

Holy crap! I realize that the competition for a good story is tough but to approach a blogger to rat on a friend is pretty crappy! But DAMN! you were almost famous!

The Rockin' Wife said...

Unbelievable. They stoop so low, it amazes me how they get info...

Rickrack and Pompoms said...

Oh, how disappointing, for a second there I thought you might be a famous blogger. What a dirty trick!

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

That was not nice of him to do that! NOT nice!

??? said...

I was beginning to think....WOW!!! you're hitting it BIG TIME!!

Poop sticks!! That is really crappy that guy was being all nosy!!

Jaina said...

How rude of him probing YOU for information, or any information at all. He should have, bare minimum, asked for you to give your friend his contact information and let them know that he was interested in doing an interview. How rude.

ConverseMomma said...

I would have been so pissed if that happened to me. But don't worry, your time will come. It will. I promise.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.