2.29.2008

You go girl!!


Have you heard about Dara Torres? She's awesome. I love that she is going to be 41 years old this year and will probably represent the United States at the Olympics this summer.

This woman is such a role model for all women to stay in shape, no matter what our age!

This is an excerpt from an article in Life Magazine:



This diehard Olympic swimmer is proof that (1) your body can be rock-hard at 40; (2) a baby doesn't have to slow you down; and (3) when it comes to any goal, it's all about how bad you want it

Her body is insane. That's what I thought the first time I saw 33-year-old "DT," right after the Sydney Olympics in 2000. In a bright-blue one-piece, the 6-foot-tall Beverly Hillsborn gold medalist, who's ripped from shoulders to calves, looked like Wonder Woman's badass little sister. Seven years later, she looks leaner, stronger, and not a day older. I'm checking out her Manhattan apartment, waiting for her to finish a call to her nanny back home in Parkland, Florida (her daughter, Tessa, is 18 months old): Damp swimsuits dangle from doorknobs, and every surface is covered with family photographs, including several of her father, who passed away earlier this year from cancer.

Torres is often singled out for her beauty -- she was the first athlete to pose alongside models in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue -- but she's more famous for her comebacks. After winning four medals in three Olympic games, she retired from competitive swimming in 1992 because she thought, at 25, she was too old. In 1999 she resumed training, and left Sydney with three bronzes and two golds.

Having busted out of retirement again, Torres is vying for a spot on the 2008 team -- and has been outswimming athletes half her age in the process. As a mom who's battled bulimia, been divorced twice, and recovered from five knee surgeries, she might have superpowers for real.

If you want to read more about Torres, you can Google her, or check out this article from ABC News.

I'm so inspired, you might just see me at Wimbledon in 2009! (Hey, I can dream can't I?)


18 comments:

April said...

That is pretty cool. (BTW, the NY Times link didn't work for me. You might want to check that out.)

Blog Hoppin',
Balancing Hops

so tired said...

I'm jealous. I wish I had her discipline. Or any discipline really for that matter.....

The 5 Bickies said...

That is so cool! It's always fun hearing these stories and knowing a little background so I can act like a know it all when hubby is reading the sports page.

Anonymous said...

That's incredible! I'm a huge fitness junkie and there is just something so inspiring about the possibility of a 40+ Olympic hopeful. Thank you for sharing.

blog hop hop hoppin along.

Sarabeth said...

I really like it that there are people out there that can compete no matter their ages. I am just not one of them. My goals must be more modest.

--HP, Blog Hoppers

LunaNik said...

Swimmers always have the most kick ass bodies don't they??

Anonymous said...

How cool is that?! Love it!

Happy Friday! Blog Hoppin'!
~"Margarita Mom"

ShannanB said...

Wow. That is awesome. I love when people rise above sterotypes.

Blog Hoppin~

Anastasia Beaverhousin

Anonymous said...

lets play doubles at Wimbledon... after my singles match this week, I don't think I would be able to hang with those girls! I did win, but it took a long time and lots of patience

KatyShops said...

I just found out that you have a Lab & a Doxie...so do I!! Does your Doxie totally control your Lab?

Love your blog!

Rachel said...

Tag and linky love.

Kate said...

So inspiring! It's great to see there are still some strong female role models instead of the usual hollywood bimbo brigade!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the Olympics, and stories like this are why. Thanks for sharing it!

Tara R. said...

I remember her! That is so cool that she is still competitive! Thanks for sharing this story, what an inspiration.

Snappy Casual Snippets said...

that is awesome that she came back out of retirements & has accomplished so much a second time around. Thanks for the post, cool story.

Christine said...

Oh, I feel like such a schlub kickin' on my sofa w/ my laptop.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said...

i love Dara Torres. I've always watched her in the Olympics.

Anonymous said...

She rocks and inspires me every day. Thanks for spreading the word about Dara.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.