3.25.2009

Shopping Bulimia


Have you ever heard of "shopping bulimia?" I thought I had it because I would often times go on one of my favorite websites, fill my shopping cart with things I love, and never buy them. Now that I've done some research, I think what I have would be described as "shopping constipation."

Shopping bulimia is, in fact, a phenomenon. There are several articles describing it in full detail.

Apparently their are two kinds of "shopping bulimia," one fraudulent and completely dishonest, the other merely annoying to store clerks.

The fraudulent type involves buying an item, or items of clothing for a special occasion, somehow keeping the tag on, or finding a way to reattach it and then returning said item to the store after wearing. I had a friend in high school and a sorority sister who both specialized in this type of scam. I remember feeling a little gypped that they got away with it. I never had the energy or nerve to try it myself. Now that I'm an adult with a fear of a criminal record principles and morals, I'm glad I never partook in this form of thievery. (Man, I'm judgemental!!)

It reminds me a bit of a buddy of mine who would lure me into late night feasts on Lucky Charms cereal, Haagen-Daz Ice-Cream and chocolate chip cookies after a night of heavy drinking. I gained 35 lbs. in a year, while she remained as skinny as a twig. I later discovered that she had bulimia in the true sense of the word. No fair!!! She tried to teach me how to do it, to no avail. I preferred being a size 12 to tasting my beer and Lucky Charms twice in a night! Once again, now that I am an adult with an awareness of the dangers of constant binging and purging, I'm glad I never mastered the art of shoving my first down my throat.

Back to shopping. The second form of shopping bulimia involves buying ungodly amounts of clothing and accessories. (Some people rack up bills of over $25,000 in one outing!) Once the shopping bulimic comes down from the high, she simply returns all the items for a refund. Much to the chagrin of commissioned salespeople.

Since I started my blog, my late night pretend on-line shopping sprees have come to a screeching halt. My e-bay habit has also ended abruptly. (I was a constipated eBayer also!) Now, when the house is quiet and my little ones are fast asleep, I can spend my time sharing the random thoughts and activities that make up my life. I guess you could call it "diarrhea of the keyboard!"


9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I have that too. LOL

Tickled Pink And Green said...

I use to go to this one store in particular, go around and see something, put it in my car, and at the end, just leave the cart there. It made me realize half the fun was just thinking I was going to get it. I did not do this often, but occasionally.

I've noticed (and my Hubby also) that my shopping has gone WAY DOWN since I've started blogging! But I think I've gained a pound, because reading and writing on blogs makes me hungry! OH NOOO!!

Candace said...

I have a new obsession too! I agree with tickled, it works well with the old obsession (food!)
btw, love the eleanor roosevelt quote!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
simplynotso said...

I too, fill up baskets online and then don't buy(i think it helps get that need to shop bug to go away..a little).
I also had friends in High school that would binge with me but left me out of the purge(thank God). Unfortunately I was never as skinny:( But a bit more healthy in the long run!

Jan said...

Interesting. I know of a few people that blog along and don't hurt anyone, keep themselves entertained and out of trouble, don't regurgitate their meals, and are happy. No finance charges, no legal charges, no vomiting.

SouthernAspirational said...

I am a total shopping bulimic by YOUR definition...but i've never attempted the other.

coffee lover said...

I was also bulimic in high school. I fainted at school one day due to lack of food and that made me come to my senses.

ADEQUATE STEEL FABRICATORS said...

We are one of the leading slotted angles manufacturers and exporter in Delhi (India). Buy today from our various slotted angels including steel slotted angles, iron slotted angles etc.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.