7.12.2009

An almost perfect weekend...

First of all, I'd like to thank those of you who got your reports in before the deadline. It looks like I won't get fined by the U.S. Blog Commission. It's a huge relief, so I appreciate your cooperation.

I had such an amazing weekend. We took a trip down to Maryland to visit my sisters and to see my parents. Perfect weather, the kids had a ball, no traffic on the way back. Awesome.

Tonight my neighbor had a luau on the beach for her daughter. There was a gorgeous breeze off the ocean, the kids were doing limbo and the adults were enjoying some nice conversation.

That's when things went horribly wrong. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my very opinionated neighbor approaching me with a determined look on her face. I don't know how it happened, but somehow, she managed to engage me in a political discussion. DAMN.

I REALLY didn't want to go there. Especially since she and I don't agree on much. It was so unpleasant to listen to her drone on and on about how the United States is so arrogant, and how Dick Cheney is evil, and how everyone in England hated her because she was an American. I was really tempted to tell her that they didn't hate her just because she was from the U.S.

But I didn't. I made a valiant attempt to sidestep the conversation. When I realized that I was stuck in the debate, I made some very good points that actually got her to stop talking for 2 seconds and politely asked her husband to stop referring to anyone who doesn't agree with him as a "CONSERVATIVE." I wasn't referring to him as a "LIBERAL" so I wanted the same respect.

I'm not going to get into detail, but I'll tell you that I really resent being told at a 6 year old's birthday party on a Sunday night, that people are JUSTIFIED for killing Americans because we are so ignorant, selfish, and arrogant. What an obnoxious generalization!

I wanted to tell her is to save her speeches for book club, or a call in talk show, or maybe to go to the next "Tea Party" in her area and scream it at those "RED NECK FOOT STOMPING REPUBLICANS."

Don't corner me at the sand art table, it's neither the time, or the place for such talk. I love a good political discussion, and not just with people who agree with me. Lots of my friends do not share my beliefs, but we can still manage to respect each other's opinions take turns speaking. When we have these types of debates we try not to generalize or assume that we know what other people think based solely on their political affiliation. Listening is a beautiful thing, and no matter how smart you think you are, you can always learn something by shutting your mouth, for a second, and letting someone else have a turn.

I'll tell you this, dear neighbor. You are annoying. It's not because you're a liberal. (Do you like when I call you that?) It's because you're a loud mouth, know it all, pain in my ass. My mother is a liberal and she is one of my favorite people in the whole world.

Oh, and one more thing, neighbor. Please don't sue me for writing this. I know you like to keep your lawyers busy serving papers to anyone who "wrongs" you. You can't prove this is about you, so no judge would convict me.

Good night, and God bless.




7 comments:

Jan said...

Birthday parties and politics don't mix. At least the kids had fun.

Anonymous said...

jill, jill, jill- so disappointed you didn't shut her up...what a dumbass that woman is. is she british? why does she care if they hate her? you should have said if she so fucking hates this country wtf is she doing living here?

that's who i can't stand the most- immigrants that come here and say what an awful place it is- then go back to your communist country (one of them was venezuelan and she actually said this and i did tell her if she hated it so much wtf was she doing here?) you see- i don't hold back. it's the reason why some don't like me...not because i'm an american.

Dr Zibbs said...

If you don't send me a picture of yourself in your Karmelcorn uniform I may have to print this post out and give it to your neighbor.

Dr Zibbs said...

And for the record I'm so sick as hell of liberals blabbin' their nonsense all over the place too.

Tara R. said...

Very tacky timing from your neighbor. I work with a woman like that. I avoid any conversation with her that could even remotely involve politics. Sounds like you had tremendous restraint.

Constant Frivolity said...

Why do liberals find it okay to label "conservatives" but you better not do the same to them.

I also enjoy a good discussion, but this was not a discussion. It's a no-win situation.

You might find this article interesting, I sure did.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/07/08/sarah-barracuda-palin-and-the-piranhas-of-the-press/

Unknown said...

Jill, you're falling down on the job. You needed a few glasses of wine so you could tell her to shut up. That's what we conservatives have to start doing, ha. I seriously doubt the Brits would claim her either.
Tell her you will light a candle for her ignorance, maybe that will shut her up.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.