6.03.2008

Let's talk about LUST baby...


It's Terrible Tuesday again, and today I'm covering the last of the seven deadly sins. LUST.

Now before you expect me to start spilling my guts about wild rolls in the hay with my garbage man, think about it. I'm over 40, married and have 2 kids. This isn't Wisteria Lane people. All my good stories are from years ago, and since my parents read this blog-I'm not talking. There are some doozies though...I remember it so well, Summer of 1985...Ocean City NJ...a lifeguard named Chad...oops-see you got my mind wandering.

As I was saying...I'm not going to kiss and tell.

But seriously folks, I did a little research on the subject of lust, and it's not all about sex. Lust can be:

"the craving for physical pleasures of all kinds. An inordinate desire to avoid pain, for physical and even emotional comfort, the best food and wine, the best looking car, can all be forms of lust. Lust denies our spiritual nature and promotes the lie that "this is all there is." We try to make a heaven on earth, but instead we create a hell. Other people become ways of satisfying our needs. They are merely objects to service us, bring us food, run our business, give us pleasure. We want to reduce the population of the world so we won't have to share or we want more children so they can carry on the family business. Everyone else becomes a means to an end."

The sin of lust lies in looking for happiness outside of yourself. When I find myself saying, "I'll be happy if I win tomorrow's tennis match." Or if I see my children throw a fit because they "have to" have a certain toy..I remind them (and myself) that happiness has to come from within. An undefeated tennis record, or a new Wii game is not going to MAKE YOU HAPPY. It might, for a fleeting moment, but you really have to find it within yourself, not by buying, or winning something.

And so, my friends, this ends my series on The Seven Deadly Sins. I hope you enjoyed it. I'm kind of at a loss for what to blog about on Tuesdays from now on. If you have any suggestions, I'm taking requests.

Now I'm going to go to bed...to dream about the summer of 1985, under the boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ-nighty night.


10 comments:

linda said...

Very thought provoking and yet funny at the same time- you are such a good writer!

ConverseMomma said...

I lust for quiet, seriously, my 11 month old just refuses to go to sleep. Thank God Daddy is up for the rockin, cuz this momma is ready to jump off the deep end.
Great post, btw.

GetSmartGal said...

I so wanted to post on lust this week but alas no good stories, maybe next week!! I think I am so lust crazed I didn't even see a downside in your let's look at how lust is bad section...

It's a sickness I have at the moment, a lust crazed sickness I tell you!! :)

LunaNik said...

Bravo to you for not kissing and telling! I'm not that big of a person and have actually just registered for a blog on WordPress simply because they have password protected posts and I can post there without my mom being able to read it!

Unknown said...

Aw man! I lusted for juicy post, and now I have to use my imagination! :)

Petite G. said...

Come on, tell the truth, winning does make you happier...

I enjoyed your take on the 7 sins. Why not do a blog on Tuesday now on the 5 senses and how they affect you and what you experience with them?

Just an idea.

anushka said...

enjoyed your post,it is thaught provoking

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

Hmmmm. 1985, Ocean City NJ...

Sounds like you had a fun night in NJ with COACH!!!!!!

Karen MEG said...

Oh I really want to hear about Chad, you big tease!!!!
Great post, and a very interesting perspective on LUST.

I don't think my 8 year old would buy that logic about his Wii, though ;)

Jaina said...

Haha, great post. I enjoyed the series on the seven deadly sins.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.