6.30.2008

Beware "The Bad Seed"


There's a girl in my daughter's third grade (going into fourth grade) class who is such a piece of work!!!

She's very pretty, and does some "modeling." She also has a very bad reputation for being very, very mean.

My daughter has, for the most part, managed to steer clear of this girl's wrath and I am so glad...some of the stories I've heard are BRUTAL.

Anyway, this girl goes to our pool, which makes it pretty hard to avoid her in the summer. She's nice enough to my daughter, they play a little together, and when they do I watch like a hawk!!

Today at the pool "The Bad Seed" was playing with my daughter (since none of her other "cool" friends were around), when she noticed another little girl that she knows. I saw her swim over to her, give her a hug and then push her under the water. The other little girl came up out of the water gasping for air.

THEN, "The Bad Seed" climbed out of the pool and offered her hand to the other girl. Still gasping for air, she grabbed her hand. Bad Seed proceeded to let go of her hand and let her fall backwards into the pool.

She then asked innocently"are you okay???" Her "friend" seemed okay and Bad Seed helped her out of the pool. She put her arm around her to give her a little bear hug and then PUSHED her back into the pool! I was floored.

She then proceeded to jump in next to her victim, grab her by the forehead and pull her backwards into the water. At this point I had to step in and reprimand Bad Seed. (Yeah, yeah, I let it go on a little too long-but I couldn't believe how far she was taking it...The lifeguards were totally oblivious, as was her mother who was busy sitting on a lounge chair socializing.)

She took it pretty well. Getting yelled at doesn't phase her at all. I know for a fact that she is used to getting in trouble, she even has her own personal chair at the Principal's office. It did, however, stop her momentarily.

I couldn't believe how badly her little friend wanted to hang out with her...she was willing to put up with so much abuse just to play with the cool supermodel of fourth grade. It was fascinating, in a sad way.

Luckily my daughter totally gets it! When we got in the car to leave she said. "I think Bad Seed pretends to be friends with some people, just so she can pick on them."

BINGO.

Let's just hope my astute little child remembers that the next time the little Queen Bee offers to help her out of the pool.


Footnote: Have you seen the movie "The Bad Seed?" It's from the 1950's and it rocks. It's all about this sweet looking little girl who turns out to be pure evil. There's really over the top bad acting and the plot is straight out of "The Twilight Zone."


27 comments:

Casey said...

Yikes! Sounds like your daughter has a good (and very mature) head on her shoulders.

Unknown said...

Kids can be so cruel and I hate that sometimes it's completely intentionally!!

It sounds like your little girl is right on top of it!!

linda said...

Where was her Mom?
Your daughter is very smart!

justme said...

ugh, where was the MOM - i have heard that if the girl is mean than it comes from the MOM. i am terrified of dealing with this all, i am so sensitive i know i will be so mean to any child who is mean to my little ladies.

Unknown said...

"Mean Girls" starts very early. I still cannot believe how some girls can be so mean and other girls take it just to hang out with the cool kids. Take a good look at the mom and I bet you'll see exactly why the little girl acts that way. If mine ever went to the principal's office even once there would be hell to pay when they got home and they knew it. Good for your little girl for being more mature than 90% of girls her age!

Anonymous said...

Never saw the movie, but have met many-a-bad seed in my life and now in my kids lives! Good for you for saying something and WOOHOO for your daughter for already having BS's number;)

Unknown said...

Your girl is SMART...

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Yikes! I have to wonder what the parent of this child is thinking??

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie Ryan said...

I hope my little girl has the good sense yours does.
What are the parents of this little girl like? I'm just curious as to what kind of people can raise a child that mean.

Anonymous said...

That Bully has serious mental problems. Usually mean girls act like that in a group which is bad enough but one on one very strange !!! I wonder if she abuses animals ? Keep your daughter away from her she's wicked. I f you see another incident I would complain to the owners of your club.
I am sure they don't want a child hurt on their property.

kolls said...

WOW. I wonder if she's super spoiled or just plain evil... or both?

Belle said...

That's scary. You did the right thing stepping in. (even if it didn't phase her much.) I'm so glad your daughter could see through her. Well, why wouldn't she? She has a great mom teaching her these things!

To answer you question about the bloglist-
Go to customize
add a page element
(new) blog list option
add blog addresses

So easy, even I could do it. ;)

Anonymous said...

Ok damn! I live in Sc and we have "the Queen Bee" here also at our pool/school. It is pathetic and sad to see girls do anything to be with this child! There is a book called The Queen Bees and wannabees" at B&N in the parenting section, a MUST read for girl moms.
Sidebar, my mom MADE me watch that movie before I started babysitting, trust me it was an EYE OPENER, and yes i do BELIEVE there are children like that. WHEW!
Anonymous B

ShannanB said...

Wow. You forget how mean little kids can be. I am glad your daughter sees through it. It's a shame.

Bridget said...

I think everyone has a nasty nasty in their school or neighborhood. We sure do! I am always after them - my usual line is - you have 10 seconds to go tell your mom what you just did or I will. It usually works and this way I don't ever "really" get involved. Not sure if it would work with this particular girl - she sounds like a piece of work!

scargosun said...

I seriously doubt there is anything redeeming about that child. we'll be reading about here in the news.

MarĂ­a said...

Oh wow. I would have gone OFF on her mother.

sltbee69 said...

When I see stuff like that happen, I never hesitate to open my mouth and reprimand. Especially when it is a potentially dangerous situation. It's just so sad and pathetic that kids will allow that sort of treatment to happen to them. I'm glad your daughter seems to have that girl's number.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your little one has it all figured out - thank goodness.

The Mrs. said...

What a little nightmare! so glad your daughter is as smart as you and know to kick her ass to the curb!

Unknown said...

I don't handle bullys well.....I can't stand to see children tormented. I liked what Brie does. I might have to adopt that one.

Your daughter is a smart cookie....good job mom!!

Jaina said...

You've got a smart daughter there. Clearly that other mother has issues. I remember kids like that, they just turn into jerks when they're older too, usually. Maybe your tennis leader was one such child...

Linda S said...

Your daughter rocks! Don't you love it when they make you proud?

Pink in a sea of blue said...

I've seen "The Bad Seed" and that girl sounds just like the original actress! I liked that movie- bad acting and all. I wanted to shake Bad Seed's mom while watching just like you probably wanted to at the pool!

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

Holy Hydrophobe Bat Man! There best not be a Bad Seed in Oldest's class or I be home schoolin'!

YIKES!!

Anonymous said...

Ugh-we have some kids like that at our pool. Their father is totally oblivious and the mom? I have NEVER seen her-not once-and we have known these people going on three years-including going to school with them for one of those years.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.