6.26.2008

Divine Intervention




Picture this...only with piles of hair covering every inch of the floor!

<<<<

As you may or may not know, I've been growing out a short haircut for about six months. It's been an long and grueling process, and I'm finally starting to see progress. Like a recovering alcoholic, I've been taking it "one day at a time." Today, I almost fell off the wagon. BIG TIME. 

I was at a strip mall with my daughters running errands when I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the plate glass window and realized that I needed to do something fast. I decided to go into Great Clips for a trim.

As I walked in I got a really bad feeling. There were piles of hair everywhere-it looked like no one had swept in days. The employees were beyond scary looking...bleach blond hair with black roots, faded tattoos on their ankles, bright blue eyeshadow and pissed off expressions on their haggard faces. Despite the frightening appearance of the salon and it's employees, I was still determined to get my hair trimmed.

I stood at the front desk with my two daughters, patiently waiting for one of the hairdressers to acknowledge me. My daughters started to whine immediately. "Mom, I have to go to the bathroom!!" No problem. I took them back to the FILTHY bathroom.

When we returned one of the very irritated looking Great Clips ladies finally spoke to me. "Can I help you?", she asked with absolutely no enthusiasm. I stood firm in my convictions, "Yes, I'd like to get my hair cut." She started to lead me over to a chair SURROUNDED by and covered with mounds of cut hair.

"Mom, we're hungry!" My daughters whined again. (Are my kids getting on your nerves yet?  Schools been out for a week and they certainly are getting on mine...)

Back to the subject.  It was as if a higher power was throwing obstacles in my path-desperately trying to stop me from making a huge mistake.  And in case you're wondering, yes, I'm self centered enough to think that God really gives a crap whether or not my hair looks good. :) 

Suddenly, I snapped back into reality. What in the hell was I thinking!!!? I almost let the most heinous looking, hungover, nasty woman in the world near my head with a pair of sharp scissors!!!

Once I had my wits back I thought quickly. "You know what? I'm going to get lunch for the kids and I'll come back later."

The stylist was cool with it. She followed us out front and lit up a Marlboro Red.

Wow, that was close.

Unfortunately the story doesn't end there...so tune in tomorrow for the ongoing saga of "Jill's Quest for a Normal Cut and Color." (And the perfect eyebrow arch!!)

P.S.  It doesn't have a happy ending.  :(


17 comments:

Unknown said...

Nooooooooo......don't do it!!!!!

Salty Incisor said...

ha ha yes I think He does care too if you like your hair or not.

Unknown said...

ooohhh noooo...that was close...can't wait to hear the rest..

Belle said...

That was close. Don't give in. Make the appt with the "good" stylist and WAIT for the appt even if it's 6wks away. I've never walked away from a quickie thinking, "Wow. My hair looks great!". It.just.doesn't.happen.
:)
Can't wait to hear the rest. I'm also loving Tennis Tuesday.

Petite G. said...

Oh Jill (did I mention that I LOVE your name? ;), you are much braver than I. I won't even walk OUTSIDE a Great Clips let alone go in one. They got there clippers on me one too many times and chewed the crap out of my hair to the point where people were actually calling "boy wonder" (true story) I will no longer let them anywhere near me. Of course that in turn spawned a whole new breed of haircuts. The $200 ones. Now I am of the belief that you get what you pay for group and when it comes to haircuts, this couldn't be more true. I certainly don't want to be some girl's first haircut. But due to the fact that my haircut cost has gone up exponentially, I don't get many - hence the very long, split ended hair that I am have been sporting for the past 6 months. I figure for every month I don't spend $30 on a cut, I can rationalize spending $200 once or twice a year. Yeah, I never was that good at math.

Your bravery should be commended. Glad you changed your mind and came to your senses. I know what it's like when you get a wild hair up your ass to do something. I've got a couple up there right now. :)

Petite G. said...

oops I hate when I make spelling errors and gramatical errors. That's what I get for typing this comment from my phone.

Sorry.

Anonymous said...

oh no...i've made so many mistakes but good thing you trusted your instincts- the place sounded gnarly. And in better, brighter news, I found a fabulous pro to teach my kid- she took a lesson while I took a clinic. He was fantastic with her....and then I learned he was married to my pro whom I thought was way gay. I mean it's ok but ok then! life can be so confusing at times. :)

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Ohhh boy......I'll be waiting for the ending.

k e r r y said...

def do not do it - not at great clips for the love of all things good!

sltbee69 said...

Thank goodness the powers that be intervened because I can promise you that you would have left there very unhappy. Very interested in hearing about the perfect eyebrow arch. Hmm.

Somewhere Between Pinot and Pacifiers said...

No matter how desperate, do not fall victim to the Great Clips' stylists! Been there, done that! You will be back at square one, promise!

Anonymous said...

OMG - that was a very close call. Never make impulse decision regarding your hair - they will come back to haunt you every time.

LunaNik said...

Oh shit. No happy ending, eh? If it makes you feel any better, I am still sporting piss blonde hair. Only now, I also have 1 inch dark brown roots!! It's not a good look, but I can't afford to fix it yet. I literally wear my hair up in a bun or ponytail AND put on a hair scarf EVERY SINGLE DAY. Luckily, the bohemian look works really well for me.

Hair Girl said...

I saw the picture and thought,"this is not going to have a happy ending!" Thank goodness you came to your senses, but hurry up and finish the story...

Bridget said...

You owe those girls of yours BIG time ;)

ShelbyAnne said...

OH my. I was wondering about why the Great Clips choice...never a good one. Unless you're male and your hair is impossible to screw up.

Jaina said...

Just that thought scares me. My hair is one thing my mom never skimped on, never had a problem paying for for either of us...I'm the same way. I am very particular about who touches my hair.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.