1.16.2010

We Interupt This Exciting Story For A Massive, Life Altering Headache

Judging by the overwhelming response to my last two posts, I can tell you are all sitting on the edge of your seats waiting to hear the end of my bad date story.

I will finish it in my next post. (Whether you want to hear it or not.)

Unfortunately my life is off track because yesterday, I experienced my first ever migraine.

And boy was it a doozy.

I'm not sure what triggered it. Perhaps it was reliving one of my worst ever dates, perhaps it was all the news I'm hearing recently of people I know losing jobs, maybe it's hormonal. My friend Sandy says migraines indicate that you have deep, unresolved issues...(what else is new?)

Whatever the cause, I'm telling you, Mister Man, it HURT.

So...today I will attempt to get this house back in order. (I've been working non-stop for over 6 hours.) I will then make myself pretty and go out on a date with my best guy. (In case you don't know who I'm referring to, that would be MY HUSBAND, a guy who knows how to treat a lady when he takes her out.)

Tonight, when I lay my head on the pillow, I will pray I never, EVER, experience the pain I felt all day yesterday.

Anyone out there a member of the "Migraine Club?"

If so, let's swap war stories.

Footnote: I've been running over the possible causes for my migraine again, and I came up with one more possibility...caffeine and sugar withdrawal. I've been trying to eat healthier (steel cut oatmeal, salads, less candy) and only have one Diet Coke a day for the past week. Is it possible that my body went into shock?? Time for some Google research.



12 comments:

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

Lawd. Welcome to my world.

It's not a fun place to live.

Get out whilst you can. Often a single migraine is never revisited. Pray it's that.

Pray real hard. It's an expensive, debilitating problem.

Smooches!

Suburban prep said...

I do hope that you don't experience it again. I am sorry that you have had one. They are awful and debilitating at times.

What helps me is magnesium. I know I have expounded on the blessings that are magnesium but I swear by it. It might not make it all go away but it will cut down the severity. (At least I have found this to be true for me).


I am not saying it works for all I am just stating help for me. Pehaps if you talk to your doc they might state there is something about it.

Jill said...

yes, it's probably the sudden change in diet. CAFFEINE COURT without the CAFFEINE is a hurtin' girl. And I second the magnesium. It not only helps migraines but also many PMS symptoms, especially sugar cravings.

Anonymous said...

The slowing down on the caffiene is probably the culprit. I always get migranes whenever I don't drink coffee. This normally happens when I start tailgating at 9am with mimosas and don't care to stop the liquid goodness and drink caffiene. The story always ends with me crying on the way to the corner market for some instant cappucino from the machine.

I hope you don't get any more!

Kate said...

I get about one a month (gotta love hormones!) But I agree with your footnote, sometimes when you make a big shift in diet for the better your body has cleansing reactions (like migraines) while all the bad stuff is working it's way out.

Formerly known as Frau said...

I have only had one once in my life and I thought I was dying! Sometime Peanut butter triggers headaches...or chocolate. Hope you feel better today!

Mama Wheaton said...

I only drink one to two cups a coffee a day, in the morning. If I skip my coffee I can bet I will have a bad headache by late afternoon. And one time when my guy and I were drinking a lot more coffee we decided to quit cold turkey and we both were in bed with the worst headaches we both have ever had. So yes I think caffine withdrawal can cause headaches.

Leelee said...

I've never left a comment, but I am a fellow Caffeine addict and recognize the signs of detox....caffeine withdrawl is right up there with water boarding...it's seriously painful...
I get really bad migraines (TMJ related) and end up with ice on my forehead and a heating pad on the back of my neck...I hope yours is a one time deal and not an ongoing saga....

Tara R. said...

I've had a few migraines, but my son used to get them all the time. Horrible things! We found that Excedrine Migraine works great! But yeah, I go through caffeine withdraw and it causes terrible headaches.

Sandra said...

I think a decrease in the wonderful things called caffeine, sugar, and carbs will definitely cause excruciating pain. Def. happens to me. Withdrawal is not fun!! Have a great day! xoxo

Bossy Betty said...

OH. OH. OH. I don't go anywhere without my Imitrex.

Anonymous said...

I have had only one migraine. It was in the summer before 7th grade and it was HORRIBLE. It lasted 2 days and I literally could not move my head at all. One position (which still hurt) only, lifting or turning my head was the worst pain ever. The pain was so bad that I puked many times. I had to have my room darkened, too. And I couldn't keep anything down.

Luckily, it was the only one I have ever had. Knock on wood.

Hope you feel better soon.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.