1.05.2010

I knew it would happen eventually....

You all know about my love of all things caffeinated, and I've often wondered what it would be like to overdose on the stuff.

Well...now I know.

On Sunday I took a little road trip to Pennsylvania to get together with a bunch of old high school friends. I wanted to stay alert for the trip, so I consumed Diet Coke and coffee for about 14 straight hours.

As I attempted to fall asleep, it hit me...CAFFEINE OVERDOSE. (AKA "Caffeinism")

Here are some of the symptoms.

1. Severe stomach pain (kind of)
2. Agitation (TOTALLY!)
3. Confusion (A little, but that's normal)
4. Dehydration (Yup)
5. Heavy breathing (Hell yeah...)
6. Twitching or trembling of muscles (I hate to admit it, but yes, I was twitching...)
7. Vomiting, at times even blood (Thankfully no, although that would have been a real wake up call)
8. Fever (Burning up...)
9. Ringing sound in the ears (Freakishly...yes)
10. Irritability (Especially Monday morning when I had to get out of bed...)
11. Increases heart rate (Pounding like a drum...)
12. Frequent urination (Pass the Depends)
13. Seizures (By the grace of God, no)
14. Insomnia (Wide eyed at 4 am)
15. Fibrocystic breast disease (They're pretty sore...TMI?)
16. Restlessness (Can you say PACING the floor?)

It was so bad, that after almost 3 weeks of no tennis, I had to get a sub. (In case you don't know me that well, I usually make it to tennis even if I have Swine Flu...I hate to miss, HATE it...) Yesterday, after my caffeine overdose, I simply could not do it.

AND for the past two days, I can't even look at a cup of coffee. My stomach contracts whenever I glance over at the Keurig.

A true caffeine hangover.

So there you have it. Caffeine overdose can happen. It happened to me. I survived.

Maybe they can do a public service announcement, and I can star in it...and tell my story, as a warning to all.

I know drinking coffee looks glamorous, but let me tell you...it's not worth it.

Put the cup down. NOW.


8 comments:

Sandra said...

OH my gosh honey! 14 hours of caffeine. Bless your heart!! Milk will counteract the effects of caffeine, but 14 hrs of it - don't think so. ;-) xoox

Anonymous said...

Yikes. I think the worst is the insomnia. I loathe waking and not being able to go back to sleep.

So... what ARE you drinking now?

Poolside with the Girls said...

I think you just diagnosed one of my recent illnesses!

Dr Zibbs said...

I need to examine you.

Dr Zibbs said...

Just saw your comment. I would have totally met you at Landmark.

If you were still on Twitter you would have seen the WC lady Tweetup I crashed last week. Good times!!! They even posted pics.

Mama Wheaton said...

Really you can drink to much coffee? I thought you couldn't get enough? Well I can't put mine down because I've already had them. Maybe tomorrow.

Jaina said...

Sounds like me the one time I had a Full Throttle for the heck of it. Except not quite as bad.

I did have a caffeine addiction sophomore year (too much dr. pepper) which I broke as soon as I realized I had it. Let me tell ya, cold turkey over a weekend is NOT so much fun. Anymore I'm hit and miss with my caffeine sensitivity. I generally just avoid it nowadays, the recent migraines from the caffeine have just not been worth it. And they're unpredictable, so I never know when a little caffeine will cause a splitting headache. I hope you don't have a caffeine overdose again anytime soon.

Anonymous said...

OMG that sounds HORRIBLE!!! :) But I had to laugh that you can't look at the Keurig without feeling sick...sounds like an [insert name of alcohol here] hangover!

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.