6.26.2009

What a difference a year makes...


Another USTA team tennis season has come and gone. As you recall, the last couple of years I had a TYRANT for a captain. I had an undefeated record, but she was still incredibly nasty to me.

She was an unsportsmanlike bully and I'm really surprised casting didn't snag her for "The Real Housewives of NJ."

This year, I chose to play under the leadership of the most, polite, adorable sweet woman. My record this year was NOT very good, but I had so much fun.

Here is her letter to the team after a really enjoyable, drama-free season.

Hi everyone,

Congratulations to everyone for a great season! This was our first year back together (with some very special new additions) and we had a winning season!

We had so many fun, competitive matches and we always showed our team spirit by staying to cheer our team mates on even when our matches were finished. Winning is always fun, but it's how we handle the losses and what we choose to do moving forward that means so much more. I am really looking forward to working hard and trying to improve my game for next year's season. I really loved being your captain and I am looking forward to celebrating with all of you.


On behalf of our team, I would also like to say a HUGE thanks to Bob! You are a great coach and are always inspiring us to do our best.
We look forward to the fall season and our clinics with you.
Love,
Eileen

What a breath of fresh air!

Given the choice of an undefeated season under the leadership of a mean bitch, or a horrible record with a classy kind captain...I'll take the latter.

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower




9 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

I am clapping right now.

Yes- that IS assault.

justme said...

yea !! glad to hear that tennis is not full of snotty bitches. what town is she from ??

Tickled Pink And Green said...

amen!

P.S. You'll like my latest post...

Anonymous said...

I'd take losing over being around a rabid bitch anyday! I'm glad you had a good time, regardless of your record. Sounds like she's a great captain!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Nice to hear there are some nice leaders left in the world of tennis!

Emily said...

WOW!!!! It makes a difference doesn't it?! Of course you want to always win. That is part of the reason we play. But, it is nice to have a great time also!!!
I love you quote. My sweetie is on the ship named for him!!!! We are entering a scary time right now, please keep him and all of the crew members onboard in your thoughts!
Enjoy Wimbledon!!!!! I actually ran into two of my former tennis friends yesterday.... I haven't seen any of them since January.... I tried to be gracious!

linda said...

You so desrved to have a fun tennis season. Yay!

Jaina said...

I'm glad you had such a great captain and a great season (winning or losing aside) This is what it's all about. I'm sure you'll come back raring to go next season. :)

Unknown said...

WOW!!!! But, it is nice to have a great time also!!!I love your quote.
this is best ever...

regards
sam

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.