12.31.2008

Great Expectations...

It's that time again. The time of year that I make my list of resolutions to break in the upcoming year. Here goes nothing!!

1. Drink More Water Sounds like a no-brainer, so this is the resolution I'm most likely NOT to break. My sister has a book that says we should drink 2 gallons of water a day!!! That's alot of trips to the bathroom for the old Jillster, but I'm going to try to drink at least 8 glasses a day, and have better looking skin, less headaches, more energy and be in a better mood!!! My life is going to change, and it's all because I'll be drinking more water.

Okay...onto the next one.

2. Make some money. Both kids are in school, so the heat is on for momma to bring in some moola. As you know, my husband has me set up with a new business. We're still putting the finishing touches on it, but you WILL be getting details very soon. Will I break the resolution to bring in money? I certainly hope not, and I think my husband would love me so much more if I were bringing home the bacon AND frying it up it a pan.

3. Stop buying cheap crap I have a closet full of low budget purses that I picked up at Target and Old Navy. They give me a quick thrill because I love getting designer knock offs that I read about in Lucky Magazine, but the novelty ends quickly and the bags fall apart. Then I'm left with more clutter. I am going to make a concerted effort to buy good quality, classic pieces, that will last for years. This will be a toughie.

4. Replace negative thoughts with positive ones. I'll admit. I think bad things. Like when someone is driving 20 miles an hour in the fast lane, I'll size them up and think, "What the f-ck are you doing you ugly red neck??" Or, I'll wake up and think. "I have so much g-d damn laundry to do. I'm so buried." From now on, when I'm thinking hostile thoughts, I'll replace them with upbeat positive ones, such as; "That unfortunate fellow. He must have done poorly in Driver's Ed. What a pity. And I really like the mud flaps on his 1978 Camaro. What a stylish chap." Or, "How lucky I am that I am healthy and, able to clean toilets, wash and fold laundry, mop the floors and take out the trash! I'm a very fortunate woman."

If I can keep this resolution I will be a ray of sunshine, who will brighten the lives of all I meet.

And finally...

5. Hold my tongue. I am a reactor. When something sets me off, I respond...INSTANTLY. From now on, I'm going to count to five, THINK and then take action, if necessary. And I will remember the words of the Greek philosopher, Epictetus

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."


Since I'm going to break them anyway, I might as go hog wild. Here goes...in addition to my list, I'm going to workout everyday and become a hard body. I'm going to work at a soup kitchen every Saturday and go to church every Sunday. I'm going to learn French. I'm going to keep my house spotless and make wild passionate love to my husband every night, AFTER I cook him a gourmet meal. I'm going to sew my own curtains....to be continued...

HAPPY 2009!!!


27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill! Have a great 2009!

I have quit my blog, but I will still be reading others' when I can, so I'll be popping in occasionally. Can't wait to hear about the new business venture.

:-)

Anonymous said...

May the force be with you

Debie Napoleon said...

and good luck on that hard body thing....lol

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

I'm going to try real hard also particularly on the water thing...

Katie Ryan said...

Those are some good ones! I should even try a few, like the drink more water and buy less crap. I, unfortunately, am the queen of crap.
But, you know, aren't those grande vanilla lattes made with water? Geez, if you count that we may already be up to a couple of gallons of water a day:)
I need to get me some resolutions. I've been thinking about it for a few days, and I can't think of any that I think I'll really stick with.

Katie Ryan said...

Those are some good ones! I should even try a few, like the drink more water and buy less crap. I, unfortunately, am the queen of crap.
But, you know, aren't those grande vanilla lattes made with water? Geez, if you count that we may already be up to a couple of gallons of water a day:)
I need to get me some resolutions. I've been thinking about it for a few days, and I can't think of any that I think I'll really stick with.

GypsiAdventure said...

Oh wow...if you pull all that off you'll be my new hero! :) Seriously thought, good luck with the resolutions!
~K

Anonymous said...

Goodbye Mrs D you were one of my biggest fans :.( Have a good year I hope you get to read this.

Anonymous said...

I'm a reactor too- my husband found my button and wants it removed pronto :) the only resolution i'm hoping i can stick with is getting better at tennis- and i do want to bring in more moohla too...

Bridget said...

love them all! Especially the comment about the poor unfortunate chap who didn't do well in driver's ed!

Sassy Britches said...

I think that, if I did NOTHING else, if I just started calling everyone "chap" all day long, I would TOTALLY be in a better mood!

Coffee with Cathy said...

Buy purses at TJ Maxx. You'll find great prices, a usually excellent selection and some really high quality things. I've bought bags there and then turned around and seen the exact same ones for full retail (twice the TJ price) at boutiques and department stores.

News Readin' Wife said...

I've got your back on #4 and #5. (Why is being your sweetest so darn hard?)

Exciting news about the business venture! Fry that bacon, Sister...fry it up.

Have a wonderful time braving the elements up north.

University of Iowa Meg said...

I am in there with you! 3 and 4......

The Major's Wife said...

love your resolutions

Anonymous said...

I fe:)el like I could have written that post myself. But I didn't, see I'll be breaking all my resolutions anyway!

Hope you have better luck. :)

Unknown said...

great resolutions! i think i could have the same ones

WSU Laura said...

You crack me up!See you've already met number 4 because you brought joy and laughter into my life with the stylish chap comment. You are a ray of sunshine. And if you meet the last few you threw in on top of your five, you will need to write a book and have your own talk show. Oprah be damned. Happy 2009!

Vodka Mom said...

If you find someone to hold your tongue- send him over here. I can't seem to manage that myself.

simplynotso said...

CAN YOU TRY A LITTLE HARDER, they are not good enough!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Happy new year!Wow, you are going to be one tired woman but always thinking good thoughts.

Unknown said...

Can you teach me how to sew my own curtains? I need them to cover up the windows I don't wash. Happy New Year.

The Mrs. said...

I like yours a lot! I think the not buying cheap crap will be my new mantra after baby comes. I have those same purses from Tarjay and end up hating them! For now though I am living in Target maternity!

HeatherPride said...

Ooooo, girl! I need to adopt your #5! I am a ranter too!

Deep breathing in 09!

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

Great list! Love it!!!

One of mine is getting better at tennis!

eyes_only4him said...

holy shit, we have about the same kinda list..rock on;)

Kate said...

Great list! I loved where you get carried away and basically resolve to do EVERYTHING:) I think if the positive thinking part sticks, the rest will either be easy to do or you won't care! Good luck!

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.