12.08.2008

Thank you

Thanks to all of you who left comments on my last post. You're kind words meant alot to me.

Joe's funeral was today. So heartbreaking.

His brother told some great stories that really summed up the essence of who Joe was.

As many of you said, all I can do now is help his wife Michele and her children. She looked so frail and vulnerable, but I can tell you this, she is a VERY strong woman.

When I saw her at the viewing she was wiping my tears, which is a typical Michele thing to do. She is always taking care of others.

I hope we can all help her get some rest and care for her for a while. She has had to be strong for so long, I can't even imagine how exhausted she must be.

The mass cards we received had the Serenity Prayer on them:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. -Amen

The prayer is all about acceptance, courage, and wisdom. It's about recognizing that we usually don’t have any real control over the world or the actions of others. It reminds us to live one day at a time, enjoying each moment.

Tomorrow it's back to the every day routine for me. For Michele and her children they begin a whole new chapter of their lives.


16 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm a bit late, but I am so sorry for this terrible loss to both your family and your friend's. I will keep all of you in my prayers.

Randy said...

It's never easy to watch friends destroy themselves with drugs and/or alcohol, I've been through it 3 times. I had to pull away eventually also, don't feel responsibe. It's a disease and they will take you down with them, do as much as you can and then leave them with loving words, and a promise to be there...if they ever come back. Good Luck, push it behind you and go on stronger than before.

University of Iowa Meg said...

One of my coworkers at my last job had that saying up by her desk- we would read it out loud everytime things got rough- we said it a lot :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds really, really sad. I'm so sorry.

The 5 Bickies said...

OH my, how heartbreaking. So sorry for you and your friend. I am sure you will rally behind Michele and her family.

MommyTime said...

I am a little late here, but I wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss -- and for your friend's. What a heartbreaking situation. I send much sympathy.

Unknown said...

Your friend is a strong woman indeed. She is lucky to have you for a friend. The next chapter in their lives will be rough.. but everyone will make it through with support from everyone

Sass said...

Thank you for the reminder...to hug the ones that are close to us, from your last post. It's easy to forget sometimes.

Your friend will be struggling, but she's very lucky to have you.

You're all in my thoughts.

Mama Wheaton said...

Keep being her friend, even when time goes by and your life takes over, remember her.

Far From Perfect said...

I have noticed at certain funerals- the person with the greatest loss is walking around comforting everyone... I hope she has a good support for she & the kids.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

What a tragedy. Those poor little kids.

jenn said...

I've always loved the Serenity Prayer. Very fitting here, too.

My heart goes out to Michelle and her children. The time of year must make this loss doubly hard for them.

How are you doing?

Anonymous said...

My father died when I was 13 (it wasn't drug or alcohol related, but to a child/teen who just lost their father, does it matter how?) and I will be praying for Michele and the children. Psalm 68:5 promises He is a Father to the fatherless, and I know first hand He keeps his promises. I will be praying in earnest for this family.

Red said...

I'm late but I am so sorry for your loss.

I went through something very similar when I was in my 20's so your post brought back some memories.

I will keep you and your friend's family in my thoughts.

Jill said...

I'm a couple days late in commenting, but I am so very sorry to hear about your friend. I can't even imagine...for his family, for you and his other friends...and such a vulnerable time of year too..the holidays. Take care.

Jaina said...

That is so heartbreaking. My prayers are with all of you.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.