12.20.2008

I've lost that bloggin' feeling! (and I hope it comes back)


It seems that my attention has shifted a bit from my major leisure activities, blogging and tennis. For the past 6 weeks I've felt myself sucked into the puppy, Facebook, Christmas preparation vortex.


I haven't had a puppy since I was childless, so the degree of difficulty has quadrupled. Not only do I have two children, a cat and two other dogs to deal with, I also have tons of other people coming and going from my home, each of them leaving doors and gates open. Did I mention that my 10 year old Chocolate Lab was hit by a car last Saturday night? Yep, she sure was.


SOMEONE was bringing in the Christmas tree and forgot to shut the gate. Miraculously she's okay.


It's driving me nuts, trying to keep all the pets and children safe. I can't be in five places at one time.


I'm like a safety Nazi. Seriously, you should see me, blocking doors and bungee cording the gates shut all day. It's kind of pathetic. I want to get an Invisible Fence, but that idea was vetoed by the head of household. After all, I created this mess, so it's MY responsibility to secure the premises 24/7. I might just take my Christmas money and install a Home Depot generic Invisible Fence myself. I might have bought to many dogs, but I'm sure as hell not going to let one of them get killed if I can help it!!!


Okay, on to Facebook. I am loving it. I have reconnected with some awesome people who I haven't talked to in years. I get to see pictures of their children and keep up with their whereabouts through status updates! I'm sure the novelty will wear off, but having Facebook on my BlackBerry has become my newest addiction!


Finally, tennis. Ahh yes. It was once the love of my life. Then things got a bit ugly with my team last year, and I'm still feeling some bitterness. I've been burned and it will take time to heal. I'm still considering taking up a non-competitive sport like yoga. In the meantime, I'm playing in a doubles tournament on Monday, and hoping I can keep it in perspective. (Even though a nice shiny trophy would look FAB on my mantle!!!)


Wow, that was fun. Maybe I WILL get back into blogging.


Oh and have I mentioned that my husband is setting me up with a new business? He is bound and determined to have me bring in some cash, whether I like it or not. Details to follow.


21 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence. I have been contemplating all week about closing my blog. I think I may and then restart one later if I feel like it. Of course, I will still look around at my faves, but I just feel like dropping out for a while.

Sass said...

I'm with you on this. I've lost it, as well.

And I'm to the point that I just don't know if I care if I get that feeling back.

Weird.

I'm hooked on the stinkin' facebook as well. ugh. ;)

♥ Braja said...

Oh, Jill...I've got a soft spot for chocolate colored pets (as you can see from my recent posts :). I hope your Lab is ok.

I quit Facebook ... .I hate that thing.

Vodka Mom said...

what's the new business???????

Katie Ryan said...

You're right. A new puppy is a huge responsibility. Cooper is a full-time job. It's almost like bringing a newborn home. I was gone for 4 hours yesterday, and that was the longest I've been apart from him since I got him back in mid-November.
Now let's talk tennis. As you know, I'm having trouble finding the right team here in Houston, and so I focused on different kinds of fitness. Jogging and a personal trainer. I've worked out with my trainer for 3 weeks, and it is unbelievable how great my abs and arms look. I could tell a difference in one and a half weeks! Try something new. Go to a cardio/strength class. Give it about 3 weeks before you decide if you like it or not. I was hating it for the first 3 weeks, but now that I see the difference, I'm loving it.
What kind of business are you getting into?

Mama Wheaton said...

Puppies are a lot of work, I should know we ahve 10 right now at our house, plus 3 dogs, 2 cats, 5 children and a husband. But I regress this is about you. Hang in there, all them will grow up, someday.

GypsiAdventure said...

Facebook is my boyfriend (don't tell the hubby) ;) Just can't seem to get enough!

Happy Holidays!
~K

Bridget said...

I'm sooooo hooked on facebook too! The best thing ever!

Anonymous said...

I've been on MySpace for several years and facebook for about 2 years. I just discovered the blogs via Google Blogger this fall. It's my new favorite thing.

facebook can be restrictive and repetitive after awhile but it's a great way to keep in touch with friends. I love posting my photos and sending the link to family and friends. They can view without joining facebook.

Myspace has great music and you can be very creative with your page but it's a rough and tumble place.

I like a balance of the three. It keeps my internet life interesting.

Unknown said...

i just joined facebook so i could be cool like everyone else....now if I can figure out how to use it...

Dr Zibbs said...

That facebook is killing the blogging I'll tell ya.

Jan said...

I am just getting into blogging. On of my daughters is into My Space & the.other one does Facebook. I have blogging to occupy my time.

Anonymous said...

eh i always feel i have no time this time of year to blog.

preppyplayer said...

Ok, so it took our dog to be hit and over one thousand dollars in vet bills to FINALLY get the invisible fence. So. Worth. It.
We even had it installed in our home to prevent both our dogs from forbidden parts of our house, living room, dining room. Our dogs were never shocked. During training with the fence the traner gave them a little zap, kind of like aversion therapy, and they never tested it again. In the last years of their lives, both dogs didn't even wear the collar- they knew their territory. I think it is a humane tool to keep dogs from potential hazards,
About a business? Go for it! But wait till the pup is trained as that is a full time job!
Merry Christmas!

Say It Out Loud Girl said...

It seems like you are a huge animal lover so I say forget the veto and go for the electric fence. It saved my dog's life. Not becasue it keeps him from going into the street, but it keeps me from beating him to death when I have to chase his furry little a@# down the street in the morning while I am trying to get one kid on the bus and make it to work on time. Seriously, it will change your life. In fact use the money from your new business to get the fence.

Petunia said...

Facebook is fun, isn't it?! I think that it is kind of more "real" than blogging, if that makes sense. (Interacting with people that you know...)
The puppy sounds like a full-time job!

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Facebook is cool for keeping up with my kids and their friends but I've been kind of disappointed that few of my high school friends seem to be using it. Maybe it'll catch on...we are awfully old.

tripleZmom said...

I was feeling like I'd lost it, but it's sort of coming back.

It would probably come back faster if I hadn't turned into a Facebook addict as well.

Hope the doggie is okay and the business is a fun one.

Jill said...

Merry Christmas to you, too! I've really gotten into Facebook the past few months as well. Can't wait to hear about your new business.

Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said...

I'm starting to get the blogging feeling back.

I'm addicted to Facebook also. I love seeing pictures of all the people I went to High School with.

Jaina said...

I'm glad your dog is okay. I remember the days of wasting all my time on Facebook...you grow out of it eventually ;)

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.