12.28.2008

Just poppin' in...

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! I am in the little pocket of time after traveling to Maryland and before heading to Vermont, so I thought I'd share a high point and a low point of my holiday.

High point: Watching a commercial for "Marley and Me" with my niece and having her tell me, "You look like the lady in that movie." YES!!! Thank you so much sweetie! From this point forward you are officially my favorite niece!

Low point: Shopping at the J.Crew store and having a salesgirl ask if I was my friend's MOTHER!!! WTF??? My friend is 32!! Bitch!!! That's the last time I go to our area's snobbiest shopping center without makeup and wearing mom jeans. What a let down.

Okay, there were some other high points, like spending Christmas Eve baking cookies and pies, watching "It's a Wonderful Life" and spending quiet time with my family. Traveling to Maryland and having a blast with my sisters their families and my parents. Getting into some heavy duty family competition on the Wii Fit and bringing my niece and nephew home with us to hang at our house. But none of those compare to my niece telling me I remind her of Jennifer Aniston. As the MasterCard commercial says..."There are some things money can't buy.." and a boost to your 43 year old aunt's ego is certainly one of them.

Oh, and one more high point. My friend and I came in second in our Holiday Ladies Double Tournament at our tennis club. We got a lovely plaque and the pleasure of beating one of the biggest cheaters at our club in the semi-finals. It was sweet. I'll tell you about that later. My tennis playing readers will appreciate the story, the rest of you can click can jump on over to Clemsongirl. I'll save it for the New Year.

So, how was YOUR holiday? Any plans for New Year's Eve?

I'll answer that one for myself. I HATE New Year's Eve. Always have. I hate the fake merriment, kissing everyone at midnight and getting all loud and rowdy. It really annoys me. I love Thanksgiving, adore Christmas, but I hate New Year's Eve and Valentine's Day, which in my opinion, is another fake, phony, holiday. (Can you tell "The Catcher in the Rye" is my favorite book?)

So we plan on hanging out, maybe watch some movies or do Wii Fit. (Can you tell I'm obsessed?) The next day we head on up to the Great White North for a few days. WITHOUT a hangover. Can you imagine anything worse than driving 6 or 7 hours in a minivan with 2 kids AND a hangover. I can't. Seriously. I can't think of anything worse.

Okay, I'm done. Now it's your turn to speak.


21 comments:

cancersucks said...

I don't like NYE either....too late for me! I have 'worked out' for three days straight on the wii fit. My husband says he hasn't seen me work out this much in YEARS! Too fun. Enjoy!

Mary Beth said...

Glad to hear that you had a great Christmas! Ours was good too!

simplynotso said...

Not a NYE person either..my kids are jealous...what happened to Mrs. D???I am sad

Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said...

Sounds like a great Holiday. We had a good Holiday too.

We are actually going to a NYE party this year, first time ever for the Angry Family.

Otherwise, I can't stand NYE or Valentine's Day either.

Anonymous said...

I had the VI peel. It runs $250 with 4-5 day downtime- you can't even wear sunscreen need to be out of the sun altogether. You can only wear Aquaphor which is totally disgusting. I'm actually on day 7 and still stings to use my stuff so STILL on aquaphor which means I'm going to work looking all nice and shiny :)

Anonymous said...

screech...what the hell are you doing wearing mom jeans? WHAT?

Paula@SweetPea said...

Congratulation on beating the cheater. I just don't get people who cheat. What fun is that?

Have fun in Vermont. I hope it is a snowy wonderland for you.

Yellow Beads said...

I am not a fan of NYEs so we won't be doing anything. On another note, I would have slapped the salesgirl. I mean seriously--what an idiot--was she like 18 or something!?

Sass said...

I like New Year's Eve, for one reason...

We spend the whole night doing fondue with our kids, then watching ridiculous amounts of silly television, and this year adding in a Wii tournament.

Then we make fun of the people who are hungover the next day. ;)

Happy Holidays, my friend. I've been missin' ya!

Tammy said...

For NYE I like to watch movies and just hang out at home with family. I hate going out...no fun. Enjoy your trip. I must get the Wii fit, sounds fun.

Katie Ryan said...

I got the wii fit for Christmas and the Jillian Michaels game to go with it, too. I have yet to open the box. I guess I need to get upstairs and check it out.
By the way, I saw Marley and Me this weekend, and kept thinking Jill, Jill, Jill.
Now I'm your favorite blog friend. Right?

GypsiAdventure said...

haha - nope nothing sounds worse ;)
Glad you had a nice holiday and congrats on the win...that is awesome!

Happy New Year!
~K

Dr Zibbs said...

Hopefully the incident with your niece happened AFTER the J.Crew deal.

Bridget said...

Fellow NYE hater here too! My 12/31 is going to be a lot like yours! I love Wii fit and we just got the american idol game which is good for a lot of laughs too! Happy New Year! Safe travels home!

HeatherPride said...

NO plans for NYE! I'm so exhausted after Christmas I can't wait to just stay at home and sleep my 4 day weekend away!!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy Vermont! There will be plenty of snow for you to enjoy - There were over two feet when we left.

Be sure to stop at the Vermont Country Deli on your way up - that place was amazing. Coffee, tons of delicious baked goods, and enough gourmet deli choices to make me want to buy the place out and transport everything down here for each meal of our trip.

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you something. I am so jealous of your Wii Fit that I'm having a hard time reading your blog lately. :) But as a fellow fake holiday hater, I'll stick around.

Maureen said...

Love that compliment...I think I hang out with my nieces so much because they're always full of nice things to say! :)

Say It Out Loud Girl said...

OK, I too HATE NYE. REAlly and truly. This year I will be playing lead guitar on Rock Band with my kids. It will probably be one of the best NYEs ever! LOL

We got the Wii (and Rock Band) but not Wii fit. Looks like I need to add that.

Oh and I hate Valentines Day too! Man what a stinking grouch I am.

I saw Marely and Me and it was fabulous!

Abbi said...

sounds like your having a great time! be safe traveling we just got home and the roads were crazy! have a happy new year!

Jaina said...

We were out in the desert on a nice long riding trip...and half of us didn't even make it to midnight!

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.