11.24.2008

Here's What's Playing at the Caffeine Court Multiplex...

The holidays are here again, which means it's time to spend quality time with our loved ones.

My girls love movies, but it's tough to find films that appeal to them AND me! Some movies like "Ice Age" and "Madagascar", I find painful to sit through, and I only tolerate them because they make the kids happy. Scary movies are out of the question, so we don't watch any Harry Potter, Batman, or Spiderman. (Brad and I save those for date nights!)


Comedy is the genre that we all love, so here is my short list of movies my that my whole family loves!






1. Elf




Will Ferrell plays Buddy, a very large human who was raised by Santa's Elves at the North Pole. Will Ferrell is a total trip and we never get tired of watching this holiday flick. Classic scene: when a dwarf kicks Buddy's ass.

(Bonus: James Caan plays Buddy the elf's long lost Dad-and I LOVE James Caan!)



2. School of Rock






Yeah, I know, there's some adult language..but other than that, this movie is hilarious and the kids like fantasizing that they could be in a rock band.

Even if you don't approve of letting your children watch a movie about a loser alcoholic who lies and breaks the rules, rent it on your own and watch it. Jack Black is absolutely hilarious.





3. Shrek



No bad language, great music and funny as hell. Pure genius and it never gets old, no matter how many times you watch it.



4. Daddy Day Care







This movie relies on pratfalls and poopy jokes, which makes it our kind of movie!





Late additions:

I just thought of a few more that my kids and I LOVE...


"Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." I love it so much that for years I got myself spray tanned just so I could look like an Oompa-Loompa!










"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" A bizarre remake of the original with an amazing sountrack!!












The 1998 re-make of "The Parent Trap. " Lindsay Lohan was adorable before she got all messed up - and Dennis Quaid is smokin' as usual!






This is the last one, I PROMISE. Here's another good one with Lindsay L. The remake of Freaky Friday. VERY ENTERTAINING. Especially for girls.
What movies do you actually LIKE that you can watch with your children?


18 comments:

preppyplayer said...

The list gets shorter every year!
But, they are getting older and I anticipate more and better movies in our future. I am so DONE with animated kiddie flicks. Too many years.
I do imagine that we will start going to movies orthodox style- my husband and the boy at one and and myself and the girl at another. we can always meet up at dinner :)

Jaina said...

Well, I don't watch them with my kids, but we watch them with my little brothers. (I happen to LOVE Madagascar, The Incredibles, Cars, Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo, etc)

One that we watch is "The Great Race". It's an older movie with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, Natalie Wood and Walter Matheau (I think is his name...I should know this) It's a great movie about an automobile race from New York to Paris and everything in between. It's seriously got everything: explosions, good guys and bad guys, romance, saloon show and bar fight, trains, icebergs and polar bears, castles and conspiracies and a phenomenal pie fight.

Dr Zibbs said...

School of Rock is great!

Tammy said...

We love Elf in our house. My daughter can't get enough of that movie. She is 6 and fell in love at the age of 3 with it. I also love the movie Enchanted. I could watch that one over and over. I think the movie that is coming out with Reese Witherspoon called Four Christmases will be cute. ( I think that is the title) My sister keeps talking about it.

K and/or K said...

No kids yet, but I love the movie Annie! Wonder if there is any connection to that and me adopting? Hmmm...

The 5 Bickies said...

At this very moment "we" are watching YOURS MINE AND OURS. They love it as well as the Cheaper by the Dozen movies. We just updated our Netflix Queue...lots of great movies lined up for the next month.

Christi said...

love elf!! it's a family tradition to watch family guy and miracle on 34th street during this season. love them!!

Anonymous said...

For real? you didn't like Madagascar? I thought it was pretty good. I also love Shrek, Wizard of Oz, A Christmas Story, and the old Disney classics.

Anonymous said...

Oh and the Sandlot is awesome.

Anonymous said...

My favorite is "Christmas Vacation"

Red said...

Well, since FGG is a teenager, there's not a lot we watch together anymore.

However, I have introduced him to the fantasticness that is Mad Men so we've been watching the Season 1 DVD.

I figure if I can get him into that, maybe I can get him into Imitation of Life, Peyton Place, All about Eve and Cool Hand Luke.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I love School of Rock! Elf is great, too.

Tara R. said...

We all loved Princess Bride. There are a couple of scary scenes, but all in all it is a fun family movie.

Loved School of Rock!

Anonymous said...

Great recommendations! I love the movie Freaky Friday - even DH will watch that one with me. We just rented Parent Trap for the girls a couple weeks ago and they adored it. I still love the Hayley Mills original too!

HeatherPride said...

Who could ever resist Shrek!!

The Johnny Depp version of the Chocolate Factory kind of scares my kid though. I have to convince him that squirrels do not really throw people down sewer grates...

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Parent Trap is one of my all time favorites also. Lindsey Lohan was CUTE then.

Unknown said...

I can quote the entire School of Rock word for word. I've watched this so many times with my boys it's not even funny. They still love it. We still will watch The Santa Claus together too.
Can I please borrow someone's kids so I can watch some of the kiddie movies. I swear I'll give them back!!!!

Unknown said...

I LOVE all things Disney/Pixar sad thing is.. my husband and I are in our late 30's, out kids are 18 and 17. The other night, I went and bought Wall-E and we all watched it.

Some of the humor goes over the little ones' head. That's why I like them.. But I like comedies most of all. All of the ones you mentioned are definite favs. MOST of the MArvel ones I love too.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.