4.11.2008

Quite a Quandary

I have a bit of a dilemma. In ten minutes my third grade daughter returns from a play date. In two hours our middle school's talent show begins. I told her we'd go.

I was just informed by my neighbor, that the show runs approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes. That's 2 hours and 45 minutes of lip synching, dance routines performed and choreographed by 4th graders and drum solos by 8th grade boys.

Her best friend's mom called two hours ago to see if Meg would like to sleep over tomorrow night. This means we have one night that she won't get in bed before 11 and another where she'll probably stay up until midnight. Sh---t!

I REALLY want to bag out of the talent show. If I do, my child will be very upset. Oh the things we mothers have to go through!!!!

My choice. Suck it up, go to the show. suffer through it and have two exhausted children. (There is no way my 4 year old will stand for staying home!)

Or, tell her to choose between the sleepover or the show...she'll be mad, but life is all about making tough choices, is it not?

These are the executive decisions I, as head of household Monday through Friday, get to make. Either way, it's not going to be pretty.

Happy Friday!


Update: We went to the talent show (AND she's doing the sleepover.) Yes-I know-I'm a sucker. But I told her all week we'd go, and some of her friends were in it. So we went.

It was everything I had heard...and worse. I ended up seated in the 8th grade section, with about 50 obnoxious 13 year olds. I got hit in the face with a t-shirt when the drummer in a band ran down to our section , whipped off his shirt and threw it to the audience...I guess this guy was considered pretty hot because I almost got stuck in a pile of teenage girls fighting over the shirt after it bounced off my face. It was loud as hell and it went for almost 3 hours.

The fun part was that all the parents had the same pained looks on their faces. There's always a sense of camaraderie and community when we band together to suffer as a group.

Next year my daughter gets to be IN the show...I can't wait.

A final note: To those of you wondering how they could have a "talent show" (and I use that term loosely) that lasts almost three hours...here's how. There are 500 children in the school. ANYONE who wants to perform is in...NO CUTS. There were 40 acts and an emcee that loved to hear his own voice and jokes in between acts. That adds up to one LONG ASS SHOW.


20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sleep for everyone is very important...give her a choice!!encourage the sleepover so that the talent show gets ditched!!

Belle said...

That's a toughy. I understand you want to honor your word and all, but I agree with anonymous...make her choose and encourage the sleepover. That talent show sounds like hell. Good luck! :)

Unknown said...

I would say have her choose as well. Two nights in a row with a late bedtime is a recipe for disaster.

Melissa said...

I'd make her choose. It sounds like too much otherwise.

MarĂ­a said...

Let her choose. Then she can't blame you!

Tara R. said...

My vote is to make her choose too, and really play up how much fun she'll have at the sleepover. ;)

LunaNik said...

Haha! I love that you got hit in the face. That's funny cuz I know I'll be in that boat soon enough.

the mama bird diaries said...

why oh why would they make it a 3 hour show?

Anonymous said...

Three hours. . .that's a lotta talent. Can you bring a book next year?

Preppy Lizard said...

Picturing you sitting there with 50 8th grade girls when the drummer ripped off his t-shirt and threw it...has made my weekend. SO FUNNY!
You are a super mom to sit through 3 hours of a jr. high talent show...my hat is off to you!

Belle said...

I'm with Liz. Picturing you, the t-shirt and a pile-up of screaming girls cracked me up! You're a great MOM!!!

WSU Laura said...

A sweaty t-shirt in the face, mowed down by a group of adolescent screaming girls, and 3 HOURS??? WOW! You SO deserve Mother of the Year award.

Maureen said...

Holy crap! That's ridiculously long... you'd think they do it over multiple nights or something. I'm amazed anyone could sit through it all.

My condolences.

Maureen
Blog Hoppin'

Scarlet O'Kara said...

What a good mommy. Now treat yourself to an adult beverage.

Unknown said...

LMAO...at you, not with you.

But one day it will be me suffering, so I shouldn't laugh too loudly.

;-)

Katie Ryan said...

I know just how you felt. Since I have one of those obnoxious 13-year-olds, I have to hang with multitudes of them on a weekly basis.

Bridget said...

I probably would have caved too! They can go to bed really early tonight :D

And ps can you IMAGINE being the mother of the 8th grade boy who thinks he's such hot stuff he whips off his shirt????! I'll clobber my boys if they ever even think of doing something that ridiculous! lol

so tired said...

You must have done something wrong that you feel bad about. I can't think of any other reason you would punish yourself like that. ;)

Far From Perfect said...

Middle School is tough. My yougest is in 6th grade,she drives me nuts. It is so much easier for me to say no to her because I have gone through all of this before, and knowing saying no-she'll survive. But I was the same as you with my older ones, trying to figure things out...don't beat yourself up. Wait till she's older and breaks curfew!!!!!

Karen MEG said...

You are such a good mom. And brave; to survive a teen boy's tshirt in the face, and live to tell about it ;)

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.