7.27.2008

Like Mother-Like Daughter....


Today was a rainy, stormy day in the great Garden State. The lightening and hail were brutal, so we opted to stay in. I was not in the mood to clean out closets, fold laundry, or reorganize the pantry (much to my husband's chagrin) so I decided we should do some "fun family activities."


I'll start with the kid's activity...


When my oldest daughter was a baby I was really into scrapbooking. A friend of mine had a business in her home and about twice a month I'd go over to her "scrapbooking studio" and work on my books. The result was four gorgeous scrapbooks documenting Meg's infancy and toddler years. When Catherine came along I was pretty much done with my scrapbooking phase...but the supplies remain.


Today I allowed my older daughter to break into my supply stash and start her own scrapbook. It was so cute watching her...she was really into it. At first I was having a hard time letting her dig into all my cherished paper, stickers, scissors and embellishments, but I forced myself to get over it, and I'm so glad I did...she put together the most adorable pages and she was so damn proud!!


How about you gals? Were any of you into the whole scrapbooking thing when it wast the hot hobby for mommys? Does anyone still do it? It seems all the scrapbook stores in my area went out of business...I guess when A.C. Moore and Michael's jumped on the bandwagon the little guys got blown out of the water.
Some day I'll write more about some of my other crafty phases including knitting (which I miss), needlepoint, jewelry making (so expensive) and rubber stamping cards. Since I started blogging my creative hobbies have been replaced by writing and home hair styling. Since I'm a failure at home hair styling, I'll stick with the writing.


Next post...my romantic getaway with Brad and the adults play poker!!!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh it wasn't too long ago that I posted about how I TRIED to get back into scrapbooking....but realized I just don't "feel" it anymore, LOL But YES...I've got tons of supplies, and will still even pick up some stuff and wonder later why I did, LOL

Greens and Pinks said...

I don't have a crafty bone in my body - but I made my mom and my husband's mom scrapbooks of my oldest daughter's 1st year for her first birthday as a present for them. They absolutely loved it and I have to admit, it was fun. But it took me forever and believe me, they weren't works of art!

justme said...

i had one of those scrabbooking parties, we all thought we would get into it, i have done the one page at the party and that is it.

i took knitting lessons while leaving in the city and single. best thing i ever did, right when i started i meet my hubby. i knitted almost all my friends a blankie for their kids. of course my kids - none, i gave up by the time they came along. i do want to pick it up again.

Anonymous said...

My kid's first three years are very well documented in huge hardbound scrapbooks...now what happened from 4 years to now is a mystery to me. I just like so much detail and stuff on that it's too time consuming- but my kid loves to make her own little books every year for her dad at christmas.

Tammy said...

I was a huge scrapbooker when my first daughter was born, kept it up when my son came along, tried very hard with the third. I just lost interest when she was 2...now she is 6. I let my girls dive into the supplies that I bought and they love to be creative with the stickers, stamps, and cutters. At least someone is using all the stuff I bought so long ago. How funny...it is now a blog scrapbbook.

Petunia said...

Geez--is scrapbooking OVER? I was finally getting motivated to start getting my huge stack of pictures together and to think about actually doing something with them. Although, I'd really rather someone else just do it for me...
;-)

cancersucks said...

When I was pregnant with our third I was obsessed with catching up and scrapbooking so baby would have pictures of him, too. My hubby is the youngest of 4 and when we asked for a baby pic of him for our rehearsal dinner (11 years ago) his mom sent us a picture from second grade. What's a mom to do?

Jaina said...

I love scrapbooking. I haven't done it in a while, but I absolutely love it. When I have children someday, I plan to keep up with their scrapbooks. (yes, I know I'm ambitious)

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.