5.02.2008

What's your poison?


I'm sure you've heard of the seven deadly sins:

Pride, Greed, Envy, Anger, Lust, Gluttony, Sloth

Why do I bring this up? Well, the other day I was in the minivan, at a stop sign, checking out my lipstick in the rear view mirror, as the guy behind me beeped his horn impatiently, I realized my VANITY/PRIDE could cause a car accident. Which got me to thinking about THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS. (My mind works in strange and mysterious ways.)


If I were to rate the sins in order of relevance to my character I would have to say pride/vanity, sloth, greed and anger. I probably spend too much time putting on self tanner, dying my hair and worrying about my wrinkles. I blog a lot (is that slothful?) and I never have all the laundry put away. I love to shop (don't let me anywhere near Target or Pottery Barn with a credit card). And finally, I hate to admit it, but on certain days of the month my kids and husband drive me nuts (especially when they WHINE)-which leads to ANGER!

I'm pretty good about the gluttony, lust and envy thing. I keep my eating under control, I don't cheat on my hubs and I'm happy with who I am.

I'm going to do a separate post on each sin, and get into more detail on why I'm guilty of all of them. (Some more than others). I thought I'd start broad and then get more specific as my SEVEN DEADLY SINS series continues.

So, now it's your turn to confess ..which of these sins are you guilty of...AND WHY?!

Oh and by the way, I know my posts are full of grammatical errors, but I'm too SLOTHFUL to do anything about it!


FOOTNOTE: Stella came up with the idea of having someone else tell you what they think your biggest sin is. Sounds like a fun drinking game to me! Next time you are at a get together ask your buddies to name each other's sins. Make sure you check your EGO/PRIDE at the door, or you may experience some ANGER...which could lead to a fight and possible fisticuffs, someone could end up getting injured or killed, which would indeed prove that these sins are, in fact, DEADLY.


15 comments:

justme said...

ahhh
i just wrote a post and it was all about ENVY....go check it out...i am so ashamed !!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, very thought provoking!!
Pride: I'm pretty proud that my son is at the head of his class. Is that a sin??

Greed: see gluttony!

Envy: someone else ALWAYS has something that I want.

Anger: I have an almost-six-year-old child and he can bring that out in me very easily!

Lust: I also have an almost-12-month-old daughter who still gets up at night, so put this sin under "maybe when I'm getting more sleep." ;)

Gluttony: Occasionally, with ice cream.

Sloth: Fighting that all. the. time.

I am thinking it's probably a good think I'm not Catholic right about now. :)

CashmereLibrarian said...

I've got Greed, Gluttony, and Envy pretty much in strong equal measure. But I try not to let them show too much ;-)

Then some Pride, especially when it comes to clothes and education.

I tend to keep my Lust and Anger under control.

And I'm not Slothful. So there's at least ONE deadly sin I usually manage to avoid (but see Pride).

Unknown said...

This is tough, Anger could be a big one for me. I'm also lazy a lot of the time.....I wonder if those around me could better pick the sin that I most guilty of.

Anonymous said...

Normally I would say sloth (I am soooo lazy!), but the last 48 hours has been all about gluttony. (Yesterday: donut for breakfast after preschool drop off, ice cream in the afternoon, and then my mom baked a cake for that night's dessert and I had 1.5 pieces. Today: bagel sandwich for breakfast from drive thru, and TWO pieces of cake after lunch. Seriously I need help NOW!)

scargosun said...

At least you were at a full stop when checking out said lipstick. The morons that do it while moving are the ones in that whole vanity catagory.

LunaNik said...

Ooooo, great post! Since I am at a complete lose for good posts these days, I'ma gonna borrow this idea and of course give you lots and lots and lots of linky lovin'...do ya mind??

Unknown said...

I think we are related! You don't happen to be adopted do you because I am.

Maude Lynn said...

The footnote is priceless!

Pride goeth before my fall!

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

Guilty.

All of the above.

ShelbyAnne said...

I read this earlier today and decided I'd think about it. Then I was driving to meet my friend for lunch and checked my new sunglasses in the rearview mirror 3 or 4 times before it dawned on me. VANITY. Sheesh...count tomorrow as trying to be more humble...

Meg said...

I'm one of the morons who puts on makeup while driving. But I don't see it as vanity. I see it as a way to be efficient--part of my German roots.

Anonymous said...

I've been bad about all of them, at one time or another. Right now I'm probably sinning through gluttony the most. I can say that lust seems to have fallen of my radar. . . of course, being pregnant, it's clear that I've already succumbed.

Anonymous said...

oh, it's envy and vanity for me......all the way.

Heather J. said...

Oh I have to be introspective?
Yikes!

Anger tops it off for me- I have three teenagers and a toddler.

Pride: That's up there too(My salon bill will testify.)

Envy, Greed and sloth...not really

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.