5.18.2008

Lost in the Abyss Part I

I have been unable to sit at my computer long enough to write a post-even one of my famous "filler posts" for the past few days. I have been completely caught up in a whirlwind of activity the past few days...and today is my time to BREATH!


My first distraction was a big tennis match on Thursday. I played singles and the pressure was on. God was very kind to me that day. My opponent was a hard hitter who didn't like to run. All I had to do was hit the ball a few steps away from her...and she crumbled. I won 6-0 6-2. There were lots of people watching-so it was a good moment for me. I'll ride high on this victory until the next match. If I lose, I'll be on the shit list until I win again. That's how this team tennis things works. Sounds like fun right?


Here's a funny little story...two girls on my team are young (early 30's) and in great shape. One of them was a Rockette and a dancer on Broadway. Her partner is a runner and generally all muscle. Their opponents: a 68 year old and a 77 year old. Both wearing knee braces. As we all know, appearances can be deceiving. These two old women have played doubles together for 30 years, and they were a force to be reckoned with! The match was over in a heartbeat...and the senior citizen team defeated the young hotties 6-2 6-4. Which goes to show there's hope for all of us...and maybe someday I'll play tennis against a person 42 years my junior-AND WIN. One can only hope.


More on my whereabouts later. I'm going to spend some quality time with my family.

How have YOU been?


19 comments:

The Mrs. said...

I would have loved to see that match! Two old broads kicking the young ones asses! LOL

justme said...

ha ha ha, that is great that those old biddies won !! we are in promenade beach club.

i have a good friend in the area who plays paddle ?

if i wanted to take up tennis lessons where would you recommend.

justme said...

jhkj

Anonymous said...

oh yeah- i play team tennis- doubles mostly because singles i don't know- just not for me- i like to be at the net. But I know about them older ladies- they can place the ball with great skill. I don't take them for granted and in fact, love it when I get paired up with one 'cause I know for the most part we'll do well.

Have been lurking but now finally commenting- hello! :)

MarĂ­a said...

Wooo! I would have loved to witness that!

Katie Ryan said...

OMG! I got beat by an 82 year old once! She then invited me to her house and taught me how to quilt. No joke!
My husband and son will never let me live that one down.

suchsimplepleasures said...

that sounds like it would have been an incredible match to see!!
hope that, wherever you've been lately, it's been all good!!
xoxo

LunaNik said...

I LOVE that Team Blue Hair totally wooped Team Hottie!! Excellent. Wish I would have been there to see that...and to see you win, too. Actually...here's a little secret, hubs and I are on the hunt for an apartment in that area. With luck, we'll be moving in a few months. Yipee!! I hate where I am now and am have been begging hubs to move for months. He finally agreed.

MommyTime said...

Love the vision of that (mis) matched match! Glad to hear you won, and I hope you're enjoying the whirlwind.

the mama bird diaries said...

Wow. That's an awesome story. I love it.

The 5 Bickies said...

Love your tennis updates. Congrats on the win! Would have loved to watch the doubles match with the Seniors and Teens. It is fun when you figure out your opponent's weakness, right?

Look forward to more updates from you!

ShelbyAnne said...

That's hilarious that the grannies pulled it out. Yay for you winning! Good call catching up with the fam today...there'll be plenty of blogging time later.

ShelbyAnne said...

P.S.

TAG!!

emersonsmama said...

Good for them! And you too, btw.

Been fine, save for the concussion and unsettled nature of where the hell we're going to live in two months.

scargosun said...

Congrats on the big win! I love the bit about the older couple winning. They probably can read each others minds now.

Preppy Lizard said...

Way to go on your win!!!

Hair Girl said...

My fav tennis stories are about the ancient tennis teams. They used to be "A" level and now play "C" level. They arrive with walkers and canes; never really have to move, they are that good.

Jaina said...

Sounds like some great tennis. I need to get back out on the courts, it's been a couple weeks since I played. I'm going to totally suck again. Congrats on the magnificent win!

L.A. Prep said...

I've been the young player humiliated by the old ladies. It sucks! Those old ladies don't move, but they never ever hit the ball at you - they know how to place it perfectly. It is the most irritating thing. It happens a lot to me at our club back East where we spend our summers - one old lady is classic, she must be about 70 and wears 2 ponytails, it is hysterical, I can never keep a straight face when I see her.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.