5.05.2008

Gimme Gimme!


Moving on to my number three in the Caffeine Court Sin Series-GREED!


I'm a Taurus, and Taureans are famous for their love of the finer things in life. I have to admit I'd love to have a Cartier Tank Watch or a gorgeous Louis Vuitton Galliera bag or a Range Rover, or perhaps a new diamond and platinum eternity band.


My birthday is next week, so if you all chip in I'm sure you could get me a nice pair of diamond earrings. I didn't just say that...did I??? See what I mean??! Greed I tell you!!! It's a terrible sin. (Since I don't have any of these things-would it be more accurate to call it ENVY?)

Anyway-I've never gotten myself into trouble buying a $15,000 watch or a $5,000 ring. It's the small stuff that gets me into hot water. Some of my biggest temptations are Target, Marshall's, Pottery Barn, any specialty supermarket like Wegman's, the Bobbi Brown makeup counter, Webkinz (thanks to my very persistent daughter)...and the mall...FAGETABOUT IT! I live in New Jersey for god's sake! The shopping opportunities are so bountiful!

I find that the best way to keep my desire to acquire cute clothes, expensive lipstick and gourmet cookies is to avoid their sources entirely. Running into Target to pick up some dog food and paper towels is like letting a three year old loose in a candy store. Isaac Mizrahi, Mossimo and Cynthia Rowley beckon me like a siren's song. I can hear them - calling to me...luring me to crash on the sharp rocks of financial ruin seventy five dollars at a time.

So I go to these stores as infrequently as possible. (But it's sooo hard to do...I really LOVE scouring the racks of TJ Maxx searching for an amazing find!!)

I try to distract myself from my desire to acquire more material possessions with other activities, like team tennis, volunteering at school and having my children's friends over for play dates. Which leads me to tomorrow's subject-ANGER. How is ANGER related to tennis, volunteering and play dates? Stay tuned my friends.



15 comments:

MommyTime said...

I am all about the TJ Maxx bargain finds, and I too will go broke $75 at a time. Also, I'm a Taurus. Do you suppose it's a Taurus thing? The love of a good bargain mixed with the desire to surround oneself with comfort? Anyway, happy birthday next week. If your birthday had been last week, I might have said you were my long lost twin.

Except I suck at tennis.

Anonymous said...

how is your tennis going???? I am DYING to get back on court! My Physical Therapist said maybe next week. If I stay pain free and be good. I told him my life is so boring because I am being so good! It is amazing the things I can do with my left hand! Send a report. My team is going to STATE in June!

Caroline C. Bingham said...

oy, the perils of Target. I never get out of there for less than $100. Okay, I lied. Sometimes, if I take out all my credit cards and take CASH ONLY, then I stick to just my list. How sad is that?

Belle said...

It's not your fault. I feel like there's a $50 cover charge just to get in the door at Target. ;)

Anonymous said...

We are soul mates. The day I had to trade my Land Rover in for my minivan (Mr. QM HATES Land Rovers)the angels wept, I am certain. I am a Virgo-it is all about perfection, baby. Cartier Tank is going to be my 10th anniversary present-I just feel it. (Let me dream a little while, ok?)

Thorngren said...

It is not greed. It is deservability.

Anonymous said...

I am so jumping on this one! Thanks for the great blogging topic!

Kate said...

I am the same way about Target! I went in to buy socks and came out $300 later thinking, "What the Hell just happened?" Dazed and full of Starbucks. I think the in-store Starbucks is part of the problem!

Unknown said...

I feel like I actually do ok with this one......while I love me my Target and Old Navy etc, if I know all that I really need is household supplies or whatever I actually just send the hubby with the list and that is all he comes back with! I tend to spend more on the kids than on myself or the hubby. We have no debt other than our house. We have $$ in savings, retirement, and college funds. Any single item purchase over 100 dollars is discussed prior to purchase and major home improvement purchases etc are saved up for and paid for in cash. I clip coupons and we always research and price big ticket items long before the actual purchase is made. I should say though, it is because we do all of this, that we can afford to get pretty much (within reason) whatever we want without having any debt.

ShelbyAnne said...

I can imagine anger relates to a lot of things, haha. Can't wait.

And once again, I'm greedy too. The fact that you can find almost anything on ebay and not pay retail price for it is AMAZING. And awful for my bank account.

GetSmartGal said...

I love the Seven Deadly Sins blog stream! I stumbled on to you and LunaNik through Huckdoll's blog and have decided to jump in on the Sin Carnival.

It is interesting to see all of the interesting perspectives. Thanks for getting it started.

LunaNik said...

TJ Maxx and Target...you're a girl after my own heart. When we meet we should totally go bargain shopping and then hit a CVS! We can be each others enablers!!

Tickled Pink And Green said...

All your self discipline about shopping is making me feel bad.

GET THEE to a TJ Maxx and bring yourself down to my level!! ;-)

suchsimplepleasures said...

i hear ya. i'm greedy and envious and damn proud of it!!
i don't have any of the big stuff either but, like you...it's the small stuff!! and, i have soooooo much of the stinking small stuff that if i had not bought it i could have had a few of the big things but...it's all good!

Amy said...

If I could just stay out of Target I could probably take a vacation to the French Riveria every year!

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.