12.03.2009

A tennis post (with a little bit of bitchy thrown in)

Those of you readers who participate in USTA tennis may or may not know that the new ratings came out this week. This year was quite a shocker for many of us in the tennis world.

There was a huge surge of people who got bumped up a notch and the clubs are buzzing.

Seriously.

I keep expecting Jeff Probst to walk out to start tribal council.

The e-mails are flying, my phone is ringing, and secret lunch meetings are being arranged.

All the team captains are trying to secure the best players. There is a lot of whispering going on.

Last year I played on a team full of amazingly nice women. The only catch was, I could only play singles.

One of my best friends called me and made me an offer I feel I can't refuse. She said if I go back to her team, (which I played on years ago) I can play doubles with two of my favorite doubles partners (who I happen to be good friends with) and play singles too. She's co-captain of the team, so she said I can help her make the lineups for each match. If this is true, it's awesome.

The hard part? Saying goodbye to my old team, full of really sweet ladies, where I am low man on the totem pole into a perfect situation for me, but with a team captain who is not well liked in the ladies tennis world.

Did you follow that?

Tennis is easy.

Tennis politics? THAT will kill you.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just do whatever will give you the most joy. If the other captain will piss you off too much, then don't do it, though. It'll suck the fun out of it.

Cynthia said...

Ugh...I know this game:O The ladies at my club are a tough crowd. I'm really good, but I haven't been there long enough to be in with the "in" players. They are just always sniffing around. I'm not a fan of the politics...and feeling your pain...

Jaina said...

Tough call. I don't know what to tell ya. I guess choose where you think you will be happiest and have the most opportunity to play and improve your game.

Countdown till Naptime said...

I'm going through the exact same thing. We went to State last season and supposedly all were trying to get bumped up together...now that we have half the women are ditching us night players to go to the day teams so we are left without a night team at our club. There is no way to recruit others because it is hard to get someone to pay the initiation fee of our club in this economy so those of us left have to go join a team at the local recreation center. Such a bummer! I have been getting calls everyday this past week about it. One day I will play day myself but my kids are still not in school and we may not be done babymaking yet. It is so much drama that I'm rambling.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.