12.04.2009

Garbanzo Beans


When's the last time you said "Garbanzo Beans?"

I'll bet you can't remember.

Let's say it together...

"Garbanzo Beans....Garbanzo Beans...."

Now, say it with a fun accent...perhaps French or Italian....ready? GO!!!

"Garbanzo Beans...Garbanzo Beans..."

Wasn't that fun?

Not only is it fun to SAY "Garbanzo Beans" they are also really good for you!

This might be hard to believe, but I, the original junk food junkie, have been eating large quantities of Garbanzo Beans lately.

My husband turned me onto them and if you bake them in the oven on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 20 minutes they make a delicious healthy snack.

Here are some more Garbanzo Bean facts:

Garbanzo Beans or chickpeas are the most widely consumed legume in the world. Originating in the Middle East, they have a firm texture with a flavor somewhere between chestnuts and walnuts. Garbanzo beans are usually pale yellow in color. In India there are red, black, and brown chickpeas.

Chick pea and garbanzo bean are 2 names for the same thing (Cicer arietinum) a member of the Pea family (Fabaceae). They are also called ceci (Italy), Egyptian pea, gram, Kichererbse (Germany), and revithia (Greece).

Garbanzo is the name used in Spanish speaking countries. The English name chickpea comes from the French chiche, which comes from the Latin cicer.

Chickpeas or garbanzo beans have 361 calories per 100g, and are rich in carbohydrates, proteins, phosphorus, calcium and iron.


So, go buy yourself a big old bag of Garbanzo Beans and enjoy a yummy snack that is fun to say, delicious to eat, and oh so healthy.

This post was brought to your buy the World Garbanzo Bean Growers Association.


10 comments:

justme said...

interesting. i have never had one. bake em hum ? i want to try them. i need a healthy snack....

Anonymous said...

actually i eat them all the time- :) and nice header!!

Jaina said...

I like things made out of them, but I don't generally like snacking on them. To be fair, I've never had them baked though.

Anonymous said...

I may try this. I am dieting now so this could be a good snack.

Mama Wheaton said...

I love them on salads. How long do you bake them for? I have only bought them in a can, are there other ways to purchase them?

Tara R. said...

I love Garbanzo beans... in stews, roasted, mashed into hummus, in salads. They are one of my favs.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have a salad without (with Italian accent) Garbanzo Beans. Although in public I call them chick peas. Otherwise, people look at me funny, as if to say, "aren't you fancy". Well, yes! Yes, I am!

Constant Frivolity said...

Love the "holiday decorations" on you blog banner :)

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

Love them...we call them Chick Peas in the South!!

Unknown said...

For the longest time my brother ate nothing but chick peas every single night for dinner. Strangely enough aromatherapy leveled out a lot of his craziness and now he is willing to eat other foods. Amaru herbal incense helped get my brother's ocd in line and made him change his diet. While they are good for you, I'm sure most doctors suggest eating something else on occasions!

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.