12.31.2009

SERENITY NOW!!!

A couple of posts back I listed my New Year's Resolutions for 2009.


I'm not going to mention the ones I didn't achieve, but I will go over the progress I made in the past year.

I DID drink less Diet Coke and more water, although I still have lots of work to do in that department. Aspartame is poison. I need to stop ingesting large quantities of it.

I cut down on the cheap crap. I carefully thought about my purchases and I am working on building a wardrobe full of nice quality pieces that I can mix and match. Now I just have to purge the pile of crap on my guest room bed and get it all organized. Baby steps people.

Next step, focusing on decorating some of the rooms in my house that look like college dorm rooms.

I have been replacing negative thoughts with positive ones on a case by case basis. I've also been working on holding my tongue. Maybe someday I'll master the art of Zen. Once again, baby steps.

I will also be on Twitter alot less. Since my Blackberry broke I realize how distracting it is. Sorry to be a buzz kill, but it's bad for my brain.

Finally, I want to pick a charity to work with this year with my children. I'm torn between a local soup kitchen and the S.P.C.A. We're animal lovers so I'm leaning towards the S.P.C.A., but then I think maybe working with humans is more important. Any thoughts?

I'll leave you with a prayer I'm going to look at whenever I feel challenged in 2010. I'm sure you're seen it. It's The Serenity Prayer, and it's not just for people in AA. It's really simple, and so profound. Read it, and think about it. If we could all live it, our lives would improve.

Many of us spend too much time anxious about things we cannot change: the economy, the weather, traffic on the freeway, or people who annoy us. As a result, we don’t have the energy to make the most of the opportunities we do have. Recognizing the difference between what we can and cannot change can help us live more peaceful and productive lives.


The Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things that I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Happy New Year.


10 comments:

Mama Wheaton said...

I would work with people only because we all love animals here too, and the temptation to bring all the neglected animals home would be to hard and too sad. Happy New Year!

WSU Laura said...

Thank you. I think that Serentiy Prayer is going to help me get through some tough times this year.

Anonymous said...

I totally hear you with the diet coke/sweetener thing. Diet Mt Dew is like crack to me and deep down I know that the sweetener is probably doing something terrible to me. But I really don't like regular soda!

Sandra said...

I love the Serenity Prayer. Hope you have a Happy New Year!! xoxo

Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said...

I need to stop drinking soda and take my ADD meds more on a regular basis. Seriously, if I take them properly, I don't crave the caffeine. I'm a horrible person, but I would rather donate to the SPCA. I have this work related disgust for Soup Kitchens. That's why I volunteer with the Junior League. We raise money for Foster Children. These kids had no choice in their situation. Happy New Year, and I will miss you on Twitter. I'm on Twitter mostly while at work on my iphone. I know, bad, right?

Poolside with the Girls said...

Happy New Year to you

So does this mean we won't be fighting over the last of the diet coke at the ouija party sleepover?

Great!

I love the animals too so that's wonderful.

Have a good one!!

Anonymous said...

you know everytime i click on your site my whole computer freezes up. what's up with that?

anyways, i have similar resolves. am down to 2 diets a day. more water. work with people- kids- more rewarding. for real.

happy new year to you

Jo said...

Congrats on your progess. My focus in the new year will be on charity within the United States.

Thanks for the reminder ~ we can all use the Serenity Prayer in our lives!

Jo

Anonymous said...

I. LOVE. the Serenity Prayer.

How cool that you and your girls are going to volunteer together! As far as the animals v. humans debate, go with what you are moved to do. There are enough of us to go around and some feel more moved to work with humans than animals, so it all balances out. If you feel more moved to work with animals, do that -- your girls are more likely to stick with it longer/incorporate volunteerism into their lives if they enjoy what they are doing. Either way, a great example for them (and the rest of us! haha) :)

Jaina said...

I love the Serenity Prayer. Sounds like you got a lot accomplished in 2009, I hope 2010 is equally as awesome for you!

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.