1.14.2009

When worlds collide...


What happens when you join Facebook, amass a large group of friends from all phases of your life, and throw them all together to intermingle? High school friends, college friends. buddies from my acting days, relatives, tennis partners, members of the PTA...

I'll tell you what happens...WORLDS COLLIDE.

This morning my sister innocently called and asked how to post my blog link on her Facebook page.

WHAT???!! I instantly went into panic mode. "Did you tell people about my blog?" I asked, trying to remain calm. "I didn't know it was a secret" was her puzzled reply.

Then I tried to explain how some people are allowed to know about it. And others aren't. I asked her not to put it on her Facebook page and gave her clearance for a couple of people she could tell about Caffeine Court.

I then immediately went onto the blog to delete any posts that might get me into hot water.

I then realized that unless I go private, I have to assume that EVERYONE knows about my blog and can secretly be reading it.

Such a tangled web this internet thing is. I'm just glad I'm not in high school anymore. I can only IMAGINE the destructive power behind Facebook when you're a 16 year old. The mere thought of it makes me shudder!!!!

So, I will remember to keep my blog light and cheery. To only post nice happy pictures of my family on my FB page.

To create a perfect picture of the perfect housewife.

The more people that know about my blog, the less topics I can be totally honest about.

Yeah, I know, boring. But it'll keep me out of trouble. Double Boring.


18 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

That's why hardly anyone in my real life know about my blog and only bloggers are on my facebook. As for LinkedIn - no mention of blog there either of course.

Tammy said...

There have been many times that I couldn't say what I wanted about people or things because they know about my blog....have to be careful.

CashmereLibrarian said...

This is a very good point. Few of my friends (I mean people I've met face-to-face; of course I consider nice people I've met in BlogWorld as my friends too!) and relatives know about my blog. But Facebook brings everybody together!
I do wonder, though, if my "Real" persona would come across as the same or different from my blog persona? Like say, if you met me, CC, would you be surprised or not? Hmmm.

Kim said...

I started out really vague and now I'm not. It wouldn't be hard to figure out who I am IRL, though.

Although why anybody would want to is beyond me. I am booooooring.

Anonymous said...

ok if you don't dish out the dirt on the tennis i'm going to have to come and wring your neck...don't do that to me missy...tit for tat. i don't post my blog on facebook for that same reason. HA!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Oh no!

justme said...

hence why i use fake name etc. and i don't do facebook. i couldn't handle it

Sassy Britches said...

I had a random friend "figure out" my blog and tell me on my Facebook how much she thought I rocked, even though she knew it was under a fake name. Um....excuse me...that's the whole point of anonymity. So, I've had to be pretty boring too. It's crap.

Petunia said...

....exactly why I am going private!!!
I don't want to have to edit my posts or keep out personal stuff. And it is freaky to think who could be secretly reading. Have you ever looked at your Google homepage to see how many people are reading you on a feed? I bet it's over 100!!

Petunia said...

Just looked and 150 people have subscriptions to your blog feed on Google. hee hee

Abbi said...

rock in a hard place! but i say the heck with it and not to worry about it!!! just go with it girl! i enjoy your blogs!

Tara R. said...

I've had a lot of friends tell me I should get on Facebook and that I can find all sorts of old friends. If I wanted to be found, I wouldn't have moved two states away from my hometown. Nope. I like having my secret identity.

♥ Braja said...

Hey Jill, change the blog or start a new one but DON'T stop writing honestly just because of the small minded...pleeeeease

Debie Napoleon said...

But that's why I started a blog...I had things to say and felt unheard. So if I offend a few people along the way then it's a lesson learned.For me and for them.

Vodka Mom said...

dang. Dang, dang, dang.

The Mrs. said...

Good lord I thought about this too and am keeping my blog under wraps on facebook! Maybe we need to have a fake facebook one and a real one!

Unknown said...

I'm am having a hard time deciding what to do about the facebook thing too....my profile is private and only people I approve is allowed to see it...and I keep going back and forth on whether I want my highschool friends to know whether I have a blog or not. On one hand it would be a great way for them to get to know me again (if they even really care too) on the other hand, do I even WANT them to get to know me again? I just don't know....maybe this is a blog post of my own?

Dreams and Designs said...

Ahhh yes, the catch 22 of a blog. You want a little foot traffic, keep the comments coming. Gotta be funny, give the people what they want. Then you find our your boss, or Mother in law is reading it and down comes the funny stuff...

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.