10.13.2009

Bleacher Talk...

While we're on the subject of Pop Warner Football I thought I'd tell you a little bit about a conversation I had at a game on Sunday afternoon.

I was sitting in the bleachers with a bunch of the moms and the subject of Facebook came up. Some of the gals are my Facebook friends, but apparently they aren't as into Facebook as some people (losers like me) are. "We don't have time for Facebook" one of the ladies said. "I only did it to reconnect with some old college friends" said another. I kept my mouth shut.

Then the subject went on to TV. Some of the ladies had actually seen the Jim and Pam wedding on last week's episode of "The Office." (Despite their incredibly busy lives.) I interjected, "Wasn't it funny when they did the dance like the wedding party dance on YouTube?" Silence. None of them had ever seen the YouTube wedding party dance.

Well alrighty then...

The subject then turned to gossiping about a local couples' recent divorce and a discussion of how one of my ladies spent all day Saturday lying on the couch hungover. I guess when you're unable to get off the couch for an entire day, it's pretty hard to sit up and log on to Facebook.

I wondered what these women would think of my Twitter account, or even worse...MY BLOG. I think that would put them over the edge.

Apparently spending time drinking heavily and gossiping is way more constructive and socially acceptable than social networking sites.

It definitely makes for better conversation.

So, the next time I hang with the chicks in the bleachers, I'll be sure to stick to subjects they like, bad teachers, parties, tennis (they DO like to talk tennis), working out and shopping.

Those are the rules of the bleachers...and I ALWAYS play by the rules.


16 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm completely late on commenting but I rolled when I read this. I chaperoned the middle school dances for years and was always amazed at the attitude of the adults there. It was either way too strict or completely unsupervised. Once I came on board I whipped those kiddos into shape. Caught dancing too close...they had to dance that way with me. Running around like boys always do.... I handed them a mop and made them clean. Girls got into "tiffs"...they had to walk around holding hands all night. Believe it or not, the kids learned the rules quickly and we never had problems after that.
I don't know if it was your Knights Of Columbus who were the chaperones but it that were the case at our parish it would be a freefall of debauchery. The men would either talk sports or fall asleep, leaving the kids to fend for themselves ha!

Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said...

Yea well...I guess we are kindred spirits. I work full-time, volunteer with the Junior League, have a 4-yr old, do (2) blogs, (2) Twitter accounts, and I still have time to sleep...

Anonymous said...

I can barely keep up with a blog, there's no way I could Twitter. I even quit Facebook after a month on it. I spend most online time doing less thinking and working.... gotta check out what's up on TMZ, Huffpost, and People you know. ;-)

Mini said...

Oh how funny!

preppyplayer said...

Oh our secret lives!!
but seriously, I actually cried watching that wedding,
( the office) and I barely watch the show! Too busy on facebook and blogging!

Formerly known as Frau said...

I love that wedding video! You have to live under a rock to not know about it. Hello I only get BBC and MTV I would die without FB, Blogging and Youtube like videos they are my link to the outside world. But be smart play by the rules or you will be the gossip next week.

Unknown said...

I LOVE when they talk about bad teachers. As I stand on the sidelines of my son's soccer games I love to listen to the parents bitch about teachers. I don't teach in the town in which I live so I listen to these moms and dads bitch and bitch about horrible the teachers are because Susie has to do 20 math problems AND read a chapter in her English book. It's like teachers are the Evil Empire and we're out to get everyone. Yet, if we were showing movies and not giving any homework we'd be questioned on what exactly we do in the classroom.

Ok, off my soapbox!

It is fun to sit and listen....

The wife said...

I think some of these ladies are blowing smoke up each other's a$$es! You know they are getting a lot of their scoop from reading up on people's facebook pages!

melissa said...

i've basically stopped talking...ok fine, i've tried to completely stop talking about twitter and blogging unless one of my friends brings it up. because...sigh...the only people interested in blogs and twitter are us.
sucks.

-melissa
http://www.rockanddrool.com

Poolside with the Girls said...

You can't help it if you are more hip than they are.

I had a "friend" look at me like I had 4 heads when I said I was on fb. She's a shrew. We rock.

Bridget said...

HAAAAAA - I'm having the same troubles here in NJ. For the love of God do NOT tell them about your farm!! I am keeping my addiction to cafe world on the DL - it is seriously not even fun... what is my problem?

Kate said...

You know, I am pretty much over FB - I left it open because there are a few people who I don't have updated email addresses for & it's easier to contact that way than copy all the contacts over.

But I am really enjoying twitter...Someone brought up the subject of Miley Cyrus & the twitter freeze up the other day & then began to trash twitter/twitter users etc. oh well...I say don't knock it until you've tried it. I like tweeting because I can do it easily from my phone (and thus - multitask and not feel like I am being a lazy bum!).

Tara R. said...

I don't talk about Twitter, FB or blogs when I'm around my 'other' friends. On the rare occasion I did, all I got was 'deer in the headlights' looks.

Yellow Beads said...

ha, so true! I would have been black balled from that conversation--I love being socially connected!

Jill said...

I've totally shocked my husband in that I say **nothing** in the bleachers except hello and good-bye. 'Cause if I did start saying **something** I probably could not stop. Personally, I love blogging (of course) and FB but just can't get into twitter. I love reading others' but just don't feel like I have anything to say myself. Speaking of which, please reply back to me and tell me where I can find the twitter string on SAHM vs. working moms. - ha!

Unknown said...

Just wanted to stop by and let you know that I awarded you the "One Lovely Blog Award". Stop by anytime to "pick it up".

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.