8.27.2009

I played on grass (and I liked it!)


Yesterday, I had the most amazing experience. My friend Victoria invited me to play tennis at her club, and I fell in love. (Not with a pro, or anything, I'm not THAT much of a cliche!)

No, I didn't fall in love with a person, I fell in love with a PLACE. You see, Victoria doesn't belong to your regular, run of the mill tennis club. She belongs to The Seabright Lawn Tennis and Cricket Club, one of the oldest tennis clubs in the country.

I've got to be totally honest with you. I felt like I had died and gone to tennis heaven.

I drive by this club every day, and marvel at it's beauty; the perfectly manicured courts, the cedar shake clubhouse, the rose trellises and perennial gardens, all absolute perfection. The cherry on the top of the cake are the players, all decked out in their tennis whites. It's like something out of "The Great Gatsby."

I'm not into the whole country club scene but this club just might change my mind. I felt so in my element. Not because I'm some rich, old money WASP, which I definitely am not, but because everyone at that club shares a common love, the game of tennis.

I wasn't sure if I would like playing on grass, but it was amazing. (If you're into tennis you know what I'm talking about, it's such a serve and volley game, which is my specialty.)

We all have our idea of a perfect evening, and for me, and for me, this was it. Getting together with a great group of people, playing my favorite game in the entire world and then sitting down on the sprawling front porch of the clubhouse and drinking a cold glass of lemonade.

The only thing that could have made it better was if we had a little home grown to smoke behind the paddle courts. ;)

But hey, you can't have everything!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds absolutely heavenly...the club i joined last year is pretty and with flowers all over the place and 26 clay courts...i really liked it there....my club now is 12 courts, old balls, but great pros and a great group of girls...i wish i had something to complain about my team

Anonymous said...

I don't play tennis but once about three years ago I took my boys out to the tennis court while on vacation at the San Luis Bay Inn in Avila Beach and they LOVED it. But I don't know how to play so it's not like I can "teach them" how to, yah know? I guess once they get to high school they can join the tennis team if they want to.

Paula@SweetPea said...

This place looks like tennis heaven. I played on grass courts for the first time this summer and didn't like it. The courts were mushier than they should have been and the ball wouldn't bounce. I would certainly try it again. I'm glad that you had such a fun day with your friend!

Maureen said...

So jealous.... I have never played on grass. One day... does your friend need a new friend?

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.