8.31.2009

I Now Prounounce You Chuck & Larry...


Everybody loves a wedding right? Not necessarily. Did you know that over 75% of our country does NOT support gay marriage? They might support civil unions and gay rights, but NOT gay marriage.

I am in the minority on this issue. I am perfectly fine with gay marriage and I think it should be legal.

I think that being gay is not a choice, and I don't think it's a sin. I don't believe in ostracizing someone because of it. Why should someone have to live a lie, or feel horrible about themselves if this is who they are? If two people love each other and want to commit to spending a lifetime together, and their church is willing to perform a wedding ceremony, why not?


Here are some arguments AGAINST gay marriage:



Marriage is an institution between one man and one woman.


Marriage is for procreation.

Same sex marroages aren't the ideal environment in which to raise children.


Gay relationships are immoral and violate the sacred institution of marriage.

Marriages are for ensuring the continuation of the species.


The following excerpt pretty much sums up our President's view on the subject:
Although Barack Obama has said that he supports civil unions, he is against gay marriage. In an interview with the Chicago Daily Tribune, Obama said, "I'm a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman."

Barack Obama did vote against a Federal Marriage Amendment and opposed the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996.

He said he would support civil unions between gay and lesbian couples, as well as letting individual states determine if marriage between gay and lesbian couples should be legalized.

From the White House Web site: President Obama supports full civil unions that give same-sex couples legal rights and privileges equal to those of married couples. Obama also believes we need to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act and enact legislation that would ensure that the 1,100+ federal legal rights and benefits currently provided on the basis of marital status are extended to same-sex couples in civil unions and other legally-recognized unions. These rights and benefits include the right to assist a loved one in times of emergency, the right to equal health insurance and other employment benefits, and property rights.

Here is an argument FOR gay marriage, that I agree with:

Our government was set up from the very beginning, as an institution whose goal was the preservation of the rights of its citizens. Nowhere in either the constitution or the declaration of independence is there outlined a governmental responsibility or power to reward behaviors the government or the masses like. Our government’s job is to protect the rights of all of us, including those that are gay, not to uphold the prejudices of the masses, as it is doing in this case. It is the government’s responsibility not to uphold in this case the prejudiced will of the people, no matter how much of a majority they constitute but to defend the rights of its people. Period.

The fact of the matter is, since our elected officials' job is to represent the citizens of the United States, and most of our country does not support gay marriage, chances are, it will not be legal in most states. At least not for now.

What do YOU think?

Footnote: If this sounds like an essay for a 10th grade political science class, it's because I'm trying to be RATIONAL and STICK TO FACTS. I know flying off the handle is more entertaining. But I'm not going to do it. (At least not today.)


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

My answer always has been and always will be:

There is too much hate in this world, if two people love one another, let them marry.

Conceptually, I can understand both sides of the argument, but personally, I think everyone should have the same rights. Why not?

Anonymous said...

I know it's not popular, but I am against it. I don't care if they want a civil union or whatever, but I think marriage is a sacred institution between a man and woman only.

Unknown said...

Living in California, this issue has been at the forefront for quite some time. And my rationale has been the same for quite some time. Being a mother of two, I want both my kids to have every opportunity possible. And that includes marriage. It would break my heart if one (or both) could not get married because s/he was gay. In all the explanations of the world, how are you supposed to explain that and not make a child/person feel discriminated against? You can't.

Poolside with the Girls said...

I can see both sides of this issue. I think that with my limited knowledge of the topic, I would fall on the side of letting them marry. I am open to hear why they shouldn't. If there are unintended consequenses etc. I would welcome hearing more about any opposition to this.

I guess I haven't done my homework. I think civil unions are a good alternative.

I was surprised at how many people were unaware that the President is opposed to gay marriage. That always puzzles me that people are so uninformed about his views. Some seemed shocked to hear this after the election. He was very open about it as far as I could tell. No secret.

Formerly known as Frau said...

If two people love each other way not marry. It's as easy as that!

preppyplayer said...

Why would we ever discourage commitment?
I believe in civil unions wholeheartedly. People should have the right to legally be entitled to property, insurance, etc from the marriage.
As for a religious ceremony, I think it would depend on the place of worship and their beliefs. I don't think that a religious organization should be legally forced to participate if it goes against their beliefs.

Apart from legal issues, I support gay marriage and any marriage!

Anonymous said...

I believe that if we are quoting from the Bible, then homosexuality IS immoral and a sin.

However, if we are still quoting from the same Bible, so is fornication. And how many of us can actually say we were virgins when we got married?

EXACTLY.

So then who are we to judge one sin over another.

The thing that cracks me up is most politicians that vote against same sex marriages because they believe in the "sanctity" of marriage are the same ones that get caught in a back alley procuring transvestite prostitutes, or having affairs (with men and women) or even pursuing TEENAGE boys.

Tara R. said...

I've thought for a while that one of the problems is one of semantics. The definition of marriage focusing on religious tenets. If that is the case let the churches decide for themselves whether to sanction same sex marriages, but don't make it a political issue.

I also believe that two consenting adults should be able to have a legally recognized union, however it's named.

During my own lifetime, marriages between races was also illegal, and look how far we've come from that.

Jill said...

I am not opposed to gay marriage, civil unions or any other combo of two people getting together because in reality those "unions" affect me very little. It kills me, though, that Obama is against gay MARRIAGE but for gay UNIONS... Typical political stand so he can serve his God and satisfy his liberal followers at the same time. What I don't agree on with the whole gay marriage/civil union thing is that it's an equal rights issue. In Georgia, I can't legally marry a woman, nor can a lesbian. Those fighting for gay marriage (et al) are really asking for special exceptions rather than equal rights. One of the reasons I can't stand going to a CHURCH and taking part in a body that is organized around a religion (in my case Christianity) is that Christians can be some of the most hypocritical and judgemental people EV-AH because they think they have the moral CODE written in the Bible. My opinion is the Bible is so darn old and has been revised and translated ump-teen million times and many different languages that it can't possibly be today what it was when it was first written. So, as you can see, I have just as many issues with religion as I have with politics. So, will you set aside next week to talk about religious issues? ha! The end.

Anonymous said...

I'm all about sharing the love...

Maureen said...

Please know that I don't go around quoting Brad Pitt, but it cracked me up when he said that he would get married when it was legal for everyone to do so including his friend George and his partner. Cracked me up.

I agree with Mrs. K - spread the love. Maybe it will improve the divorce rates in this country.

Karen said...

Very informative. Thank you.

As a divorce lawyer, the concept of gay marriage is appealing, but the concept of civil unions is just as appealing.

As a practicing Catholic, I SHOULD be against gay marriage. But at the same time, I think everyone has the right to be equally happy (or unhappy) in marriage.

Tippy said...

While I don't usually agree with you politically, I really enjoy your blog and I'm glad you're bringing up 'issues'.

I don't understand Jillian's comment, "Those fighting for gay marriage (et al) are really asking for special exceptions rather than equal rights." How are they asking for exceptions? They're asking to marry the person of their choice, just like you or me. Please explain if you're still around.

I voted for Obama but this is an issue where I disagree with him and also think he's a bit shady on. It's like he had to say he was against gay marriage (but for civil unions) so he could get elected.

The divorce statistics in the US alone should show us all that heteros don't hold the morals on marriage. Why should we exclude two people who WANT to commit to each other? Also, it's a property rights and benefits issue. My neighbors shouldn't have to pay taxes if their partner dies any more than I should have to if my husband died. It's called joint property and it's not a small issue.

The religious argument doesn't hold water with me. Marriage is a legal institution as well as a religious one. My husband is an atheist and I'm agnostic and we got married by a judge. We don't take our children to church. Should we be denied marriage as well? What about my friends who decided they didn't want children? If marriage is for procreation only, should they be able to be married?

You should take on gays in the military next, Caffeine Court! Another instance where I wholeheartedly disagreed with the Democratic president.

Good topic!

Kate said...

It seems to me that most of the arguments against gay marriage are religious arguments. I think churches should retain the right to make their own decisions on the subject - without question.

But I think we need a federal ruling in support of gay marriage. As wonderful as it is that some states have given their citizens - ALL their citizens the right to marry - it presents major problems down the road in terms of insurance, custodial issues, inheiritance issues, etc. if thr marriages are not considered valid in every state.

I'm usually more in favor of keeping it local, small gov't, libertarian views...but this is one issue that will have long term problems if we don't address it at the federal level. There was a time when 75% of American vites didn't want African Americans to be able to marry - but eventually the government did the right thing. Civil rights issues cannot be left to a popular vote.

More people committing to each other because they are in love? Always a good thing in my book!

* said...

Civil Unions are the governments way of keeping the GLBT community 'seperate but equal' to heterosexuals.

I look forward to the day all states welcome same sex marriage.

Let us be. Let us marry. Our relationships are the same as everyone elses and we deserve the same rights.

Thanks for posting this...it needs to be out there.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.