8.02.2008

Clean Enough to be Healthy


Have you ever seen this saying..."This house is clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy."

I love this saying because it really sums up my attitude on housework. Right now my house is in a state of complete disarray. Why? Because my daughters and I have been busy enjoying the summer. Playdates, birthday parties, movie night at the beach, tennis...all these activities take alot out of us...ALL of us.

In order for my house to be in pristine shape, with all the laundry folded and put away, I would have to either hire a maid, or sit my daughters in front of the TV or computer all day while I attempt to make my house look like a page out of "Better Homes and Gardens."

Housework was never my specialty and after 10 years of marriage and 9 years of motherhood, my domestic skills have improved dramatically, but I'm still no June Cleaver.

As long as my house is clean enough to be healthy, I can deal with the sand from the beach, the hair from the dogs and the crayons on the kitchen table. These are all proof that my daughters are having a summer filled with great memories...the Windex can wait.


13 comments:

justme said...

so true !!!

i am off for vaca for a week, contact you when i am back - if we can not meet in august - sept might be easier with school !!!

Katie Ryan said...

You're doing the right thing ... spending time with your kids. Enjoy and don't give the house cleaning another thought.

Unknown said...

So true...loved that.

Tammy said...

I love the last paragraph. We always have grass and sand by the patio door. No matter how many times a day I sweep it seems to still be there. Have a fun filled summer...that is what it is all about.

ShelbyAnne said...

Ahh, my thoughts exactly. Housework is not something I enjoy...although I can be sort of a neat-freak sometimes. If it weren't for Boyfriend, I'd be a mess.

Somewhere Between Pinot and Pacifiers said...

Well said! I don't mind housework, but I definitely don't let it interfere with time well spent with family!

MommyTime said...

I know you've already posted a "scratch that" post -- but I just had to add my support for your cleaning philosophy. Life is too precious to waste valuable together-time mopping floors. Far better to have things somewhat untidy and everyone making great memories. Kudos to you!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I'm with this attitude 100%! Love that saying, too.

Alexis Black said...

You nailed it here. You know I try hard for order, and like my dear bro I need a certain amount of it, but I am proud to say I am finally learning to let it go. We have been having a great summer. We aren't here long enough to even think about the house. My car on the othe hand, has become our second home. It is probably too dirty to be healthy, but whatever. Have fun!

MarĂ­a said...

Woooo! I'm right there with you.

Jaina said...

I'm kinda there at the moment on my apartment. I just get distracted doing other things, and it's good enough. And it sounds like you and your girls are having a FABULOUS summer. They're going to remember that and appreciate it WAY more than some spotless house.

Unknown said...

I have that saying hanging in my front hallway!!

Bridget said...

I AM SO with you on this one!!

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.