9.11.2009

The More the Merrier? Aka: Never Invite Jill Anywhere Nice

I promised I'd tell you a story which illustrates how immature I am, and here it is:

What a difference a week makes! Last Friday afternoon, I was sitting in traffic (in a limo which helps soften the blow) sweating my butt off, on my way to watch the U.S. Open. This week it's freezing cold, high winds, torrential rain, and play is suspended. I guess I should be glad I got tickets for the early rounds.

As I've probably mentioned, a good friend of mine belongs to Trump National Golf Club in Colts Neck, NJ. Her husband got us seats in Trump's box for last week's matches.

To say I was thrilled would be an understatement.

The Trump box is right next to the broadcast booth for ESPN so we could peek around and see Mary Jo Fernandez, and John and Patrick McEnroe as they did commentary. Will Ferrell was sitting right below us and we had first class food, and booze. We were giddy.

Anyway, another of my friends has a son who sings the National Anthem every year at the Open. I completely spaced in my excitement and forgot that he was singing THE SAME NIGHT WE WERE THERE.

As they announced his name we got all excited and told everyone in the booth "that's our friend's son!!!" Everyone smiled politely.

At that point my excitement and wine consumption got the best of me. I picked up my phone and called my friend who I could see exiting Center Court with her son.

"Hey!!! It's Jill! We're up in Trump's box, #247!!!! Come on up!!!"

I ran over to Trump's right hand man and told him I had just invited my friend and her family up to say hi. No, I didn't ask. I told.

The family shows up. 2 parents, 4 kids and 2 of their friends. Our waiter offers them brownies, sandwiches, wine and juice boxes. They then proceed to watch the match and make themselves at home.

Finally, I notice my friend who invited me is looking a bit tense.

Oops. I guess I should have asked her before I asked my friend to drop over to the box to say hi. Damn.

I realize I'm in trouble and have to think fast.

TO BE CONTINUED.....


11 comments:

Jaina said...

Hey! There's a half a story missing there! I want to hear the rest!

PaperCourt said...

I can't wait to hear the rest!!

Meta said...

You're going to leave us hanging?!? Continued when???

Love your writing style...and sense of humor :)

Meta

Anonymous said...

Oh! You can't leave us hanging like that! :)

And, um, I would most likely have done the exact same thing...!

Anonymous said...

Ok i so would have kicked your ass for inviting 8 people over if I had invited you - but ok I want to hear the rest of the story!

And did I ever tell you I'm almost related to Mary Jo? I say almost because in PR everyone is a 'cousin' if you've known their family for as long as you have lived. And my second cousins are cousins of hers- does that make sense?

preppyplayer said...

I get it, because you are probably like me and wouldn't have minded if your friend did that to you. OK, maybe I would mind if my friend did it...but not after a few drinks AND the kid did sing the national anthem for God's sake! Quite an entourage he has.

Maureen said...

Ugh... you left us hanging... I am on the edge of my seat... can't wait to hear the rest....

Kate said...

Hey - Trump didn't get where he is today with out a bit of chutzpah! You go for it!

linda said...

oh no! What happened!!!!! You Jersey girls are crazy!

Formerly known as Frau said...

and.................????

Constant Frivolity said...

Come on, you can't just stop in the middle... how long do we have to wait for the conclusion? The suspense is killing me!

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.