3.03.2010

The Zen of Ikea


A friend of mine went to Ikea to buy her daughter a bed. Upon assembly, she realized she was missing a part. DAMN.

How frustrating!!!

After schlepping 45 minutes to the store , unloading the car and starting the assembly process, the last thing my friend wanted to do was to drive all the way back to the store for a bolt. She decided to go to the Ikea website to order the missing part. It was on that website that she met Anna...the world's most serene (and animated, literally) customer service rep.

When my friend asked Anna for a part, she was instructed that if she needed a part mailed to her, she would need quite a bit of detailed information to including a part number to get her missing piece. At that point, my friend lost her patience and snapped at Anna. " F--k you", she typed.

Anna didn't miss a beat. Her response..."sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me. Now, how may I assist you?"

Wow. You go Anna. Way to deflect a bully!!! My friend was so amused by Anna's response that she laughed and provided Anna with the information she required, which goes to show that we should never answer and angry word with an angry word. Had Anna reacted in a hostile way to my friend's attack, it could have escalated into a dangerous situation. Luckily Anna kept a cool head, and the story had a happy ending.

I decided to go to the website and try to engage Anna in an altercation.

"I hate you." I typed...

Anna's response.

"If I have unintentionally offended you then I apologize. If you think that I am not providing you with useful information about Ikea, please go to your nearest Ikea store."'

I complimented her...

"You're pretty. Are you single?" Hmm...what prompted me to type that??? Am I secretly gay?!

Anna was all business...(although she did bat her eyelashes and grin.) "I don't really want to talk about personal issues, like marriage. If you would like to talk about Ikea, that would be much better."


Wow. That Anna is the Gandhi of our generation.

Since messing with Anna Ikea is so much more fun than folding laundry, I continued to taunt Anna for a half hour. What fun I had!

Try it. Head on over the Ikea website and give Anna a shout. She's the most pleasant person you'll deal with all day.

I was so impressed with her poise and sense of humor, that Anna Ikea and I are now Facebook friends, which in my world is the highest compliment you can pay a person.

Anna Ikea.

A true woman of substance.


12 comments:

Bossy Betty said...

OH! I need to be more like Anna. Do you think she gives lessons?

justme said...

those stupid kids on the cruise ship went to a IKEA type store....i hate that episode - oh wait i hate all the epidoses ??

Lori P said...

Whoa - a place to vent my frustration guilt free. You know, that could be a pretty marketable business in and of itself. Hmm....

PaperCourt said...

What a sweet lady!

Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said...

HILARIOUS!!!! That made me really laugh out loud!

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

OMG, I'm TOTALLY going to the IKEA website! That's AWESOME!! I need to be more like Anna! Maybe we should have bracelets made, WWAD?

Maureen said...

Without you, I would never know these things! That is the funniest customer service story I have ever read.

Mama Wheaton said...

I've always wanted to buy something from IKEA but I never find anything I like.

Dr Zibbs said...

I have mixed thoughts on IKEA

Jaina said...

Lol, that's awesome!

Scarlet.Skye said...

I think I just found a new hobby. Hilarious!

The Mrs. said...

That is a gosh darn riot. Must try it. Asap.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.