3.01.2010

Full contact tennis


I haven't written a good tennis post in awhile, but something somewhat exciting actually happened today, so I thought I'd share.

I like my tennis like I like my men, fast and hard. (Ha ha...just kidding Mom.) But seriously, I like a lively game of doubles, and today was no exception.

I was playing with a group of friends and we were having a jolly good time smashing overheads, rushing the net, and going for the gusto...it was all fun and games, until someone got hurt.

Unfortunately, that person was one of the nicest, most beloved people at the tennis club, and I was the one who hurt her.

Just shoot me.

It all happened so quickly, I hit a driving forehand from the baseline when my dear friend stormed the net, the next thing I know, my ball SLAMMED into her eye, she yelped in pain and hit the ground. I was scared.

I ran to get help and an ice pack. When I returned to the court I got my first look at the damage.

It wasn't pretty.

She had a shiner that would put Mike Tyson to shame and broken blood vessels in her eye that looked very, VERY, painful.

I wanted to cry, but I didn't. I nursed her wound, and brought her a cookie and offered to drive her to the doctor. She refused my offer and went on her own.

Luckily her eye is okay. No scratched cornea, no detached retina, a bit of concern ABOUT THE BLEEDING, so she will return to the doctor tomorrow morning for a follow up.

This kind of stuff happens in the dog eat dog world of housewife afternoon tennis. I know that. Next time, it could be me, face down on the court, crying in pain. I accept the risks, and I will return to the courts this Thursday, ready to face the dangers that await me.

I leave you with a sports prayer...

God, let me play well but fairly.
Help me to learn something that matters
once the game is over.
Let competition make me strong but never hostile.
Always let me help my opponent up.
Never catch me rejoicing in the adversity of others.
If I know victory, allow me to be happy; if I am denied, keep me from envy.
Remind me that sports are just games.
If through athletics I set an example,
let it be a good one.

And please Lord, let my friend forgive me for bashing her in her eyeball and making her bleed.

Amen.



5 comments:

Sass said...

Oh my. I'm absolutely positive your friend fully realizes how sorry you are...

And you brought her a cookie.

I think that's the best thing I've ever heard in my whole life.

Bossy Betty said...

Ouch. Well, she'll have a good story to tell and the cookie was an excellent touch.

Anonymous said...

that's too bad but if you swim with the sharks, well then. . .
if she's the nicest gal on your team, she will forgive you.

saltypaws said...

I think you owe her lunch after your next social match :)

I took an overhead volley in the face 2 weeks ago...semi blocked it w/ my racquet but the force made me fall back, pulling my back..I sucked it up ( adrenaline I suppose) and continued to play, after an injury time out to stretch. After that match I had to take a week off to rest the damn back... but even tho my opponent ( a linebacker sized player) barely lifted her hand in a gesture of apology and continued to go after my lame a$$ self the rest of the match , I held no ill feelings towards her...it's just part of the game... plus, karma worked it out, and we won, 3 sets :)
I will have to share your Tennis Prayer with my teammates...

The 5 Bickies said...

ouch...that must have been some hit. I hope she's as forgiving as she is nice!

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.