3.08.2010

Rage in a Bottle


As you know, I am really into caffeinated beverages. I've been trying to cut down on my aspartame consumption and have been doing very well with limiting my Diet Coke intake. (Although I miss it...ALOT)

Last week I was at CVS checking out all the fabulous deals to be had with my ExtraCare card when I came across the energy drink section.

There was a two for one special on 5-hour Energy liquid energy shot. I looked at the box and I was intrigued. Hours of energy now!! No crash later!!! Sugar Free!!! Feel it in minutes...lasts for hours!!

Whoa.


I wanted in on the action, so I threw some bottles in my cart and beelined it to checkout.

When I got in the car, I ripped open the bottle and chugged it.

Holy hell!!! I felt like the Incredible Hulk. My skin was flushed, I was breathing heavily, like I was on cocaine, or speed, and my body got hot.

What the heck!!! I looked at the box again..."You may experience a Niacin flush (hot feeling, skin redness) that lasts a few minutes. "

A few minutes? Try a few hours. No lie, for 6 hours I was on edge, ready to pounce, and I could not sit still. I hated it. There are 3 more bottles of that demon liquid in my fridge. If you like the stuff, send me an e-mail and I'll FedEx it to you PRONTO. Just don't sue me when you start throwing furniture around the room and growling a people.

On a similar note, my sister's 13 year old stepson brought a Red Bull to school to drink with lunch. When one of the teacher's noticed it she took it away from him. My sister's stepson was outraged. (Do you see a pattern here?) His Mom had printed out a copy of the school rules for him to keep handy in order to disrespect authority figures, and nowhere in the rules did it mention that Red Bull is forbidden at lunch.

After school his Mom called the school to complain that her son not had been singled out for drinking a Red Bull. She was proud of her son for sticking up for himself and not letting "the man" boss him around.

WHATEVER!!! That woman is every teacher's nightmare. (Lot's of blog material here...maybe I'll have my sister write a few posts about her...she's nuts!! Certifiably crazy.) But back to the topic...

I agree with the school, especially after I have felt the effects of one of these energy drinks. There is no way I would be able to sit still and focus after drinking one. I don't think kids in middle school should be permitted to drink them. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Here is an article I found that elaborates on the subject. Feel free to click on the link, but make sure you come back and tell me what you think.

Do you drink high powered energy drinks? Do you let your kids? If you do drink them, do you pour some vodka into it, so you can be a high powered drunk? (That's the hottest trend you know!)

That's all I've got. I look forward to your input.


20 comments:

The Mrs. said...

Those energy drinks are kookoo balls. I think red bull is fantastic when it's mixed with vodka and you want to stay up all night! It works!!! For kids? NO WAY.

Grace's Mom said...

Caffeine and energy drinks have virtually no effect on me. Unless, of course, I don't have it. Then things get a little dicey!

No joke, I can drink a diet coke right before bed and then fall fast asleep, and I have taken 5-hour energy drinks and had no reaction.

I'm not sure how I feel about the school taking away the Red Bull. Would I give my daughter a Red Bull? No. But if a mother has decided that it's okay for her child, then I think it's pretty ballsy to interfere. I would let my daughter have a soda with lunch (when she's older - she's only 15 months right now!) but some parents think that's terrible and would probably feel an urge to take the soda away from her. I would be pissed if they did.

With that said, the whole printing-out-of-the-rules-to-challenge-authority-thing is effing ridiculous. That's the kind of kid (and mom) I want to slap across the face and scream at.

Very interesting post!

Formerly known as Frau said...

I think caffeine works that way for some and not for others I'm not effected by caffeine. I have had a red bull once or twice but didn't really like it.

Poolside with the Girls said...

I am super sensative to caffeine so if I drank Red Bull I'd probably have a heart attack.

I don't let my kids drink soda. I'm not going to go on a rant about it although I would like to. Simply put, I don't think kids should drink soda. If it's a party setting, special occassion, it's ok. With meals as a regular choice for beverage...um no. Not in my house anyway.

Loved your post, as always!

The Chic Chauffeur said...

A red bull always does the trick for me when I am going out for a lonnnnng night. One red bull, and no matter how many glasses of red wine I toss back? Still going strong, and feeling sober!

Not sure I want my kid drinking it tho...... Do what I say, not what I do, y'know?

Mama Wheaton said...

I can't drink them, they make feel like you said high on a drug that I can't control. My husband on occasion when he has to work 24hrs will have the 5-hour shots. As for energy drinks my teenage sons have had them occassionaly but never at school. I think for them it is more of a status thing if they have them. I don't think they have any value at all, so I'm ok with not buying them.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, middle school kids drink red bulls? WTF is this world coming to? I totally would not want a kid hopped up on caffine in my classroom. Don't parents know the negative impact of caffiene on growing bodies, brains, and not to mention the increased hyperactivity? I know I'll eat my words when I become a parent, but still...I miss the old days! LOL

Anonymous said...

Until that school puts it in writing, I have to side w/the crazy mom.... I don't like "rules" sprung on me, either. But I do think kids shouldn't drink those drinks. Regular sodas are bad enough (this coming from a far gone addict).

I have never tried those energy shots, but I admit I'm curious now. Do they kill your appetite?

Bossy Betty said...

They sell these suckers at the college where I teach and I try to hide them every time I go to the cafeteria! The students are awake, OK, but they are also pumping their feet and looking wildly around the room as if they are seeing things I can't see. It's unnerving!

Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said...

LOL, you've never checked out my About Me page...LOL

I have an addiction to Monster Energy drinks. They are like water to me. It actually regulates my ADD more than my meds did. If you look into research drinking caffeine can help ADD sometimes easier than taking prescription meds like Adderall, Ritalin, etc...

I only drink one a day.

Unknown said...

I don't even like for my kids to drink Gatorade!!
I was curious about 5 hour energy but now that you've tested it for me I think I may lay off it!!

Maureen said...

I don't drink those energy drinks, but my husband loves Red Bull. Loves it. The kids aren't touching it.

Jaina said...

I don't think they should be allowed. I don't drink them, I think they're vile. There was one exception, and I was bored. Never again. I'll post about that story sometime, it's a funny one.

The wife said...

The only time I have ever consumed red bull it was in a shot mixed with jager. I was like a drunk energizer bunny!

KittyCat said...

I used to drink alot of caffeine then I stared having health problems. I would drink 5 shots of expresso in my coffee, a can of pepsi, and a amp power drink all in one day. Yes I do on occasion let my 15year old drink red bull or monstor before his soccer games. I do also know the dangers of it. So we have tried to cut back.

Anonymous said...

I work in a school and if I saw a kid drinking an *energy drink* I'd take it away too. It's a drug. That's ridiculous and I would love to hear more about the insane mother. I love insane relatives b/c i have a few of my own.

Kate said...

I used to be the sugar free red bull queen...but what I find is when I am drinking lots of caffeinated stuff, I am not drinking water (there's only so much I can drink, right?). So then I am super bitchy, my skin looks like hell, and I am exhausted midafternoon. I would not let my kids drink those...but they are only 3 and 5. Probably not at 13 either.

That mom sounds like a pain in the ass. I agree with supporting your kids when they have been treated unfairly, but not when they are not following the rules.

Anonymous said...

No one under 18 should drink those energy drinks. I've only had them a few times - before going on a girls' night out, actually. They are fun with alcohol. I can't imagine trying to sit in class after drinking one.

Bridget said...

I have never had a jolt cola much less red bull or 5 hour energy. Energy doesn't interest me all that much. I like relaxing!!

I will definitely email you for the demon drink though the next time I feel like throwing furniture which who knows, might be as soon as this afternoon ;)

mstwotoes.com said...

Hi! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog. Is it very hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very
technical but I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to start.
Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.