3.16.2010

Age Appropriate


I am completely buried in life, but I wanted to tell you a little story, that can teach us all a lesson.

Last week, I was getting my hair colored at a salon. As I sat in my chair, I noticed a stylist at the front. She was very thin, she wore torn boyfriend jeans rolled up at the ankles, Sanuk loafers, and some kind of cool skateboard chick looking shirt. She had long blond wavy hair. From behind, she almost looked like Avril Lavigne...

Suddenly she turned and looked at me. I almost recoiled in shock. Her face looked like Queen Elizabeth!! I swear the woman was sixty. Wrinkles, kind of a large witch nose, no makeup. She looked me right in the eye and WINKED. Like she knew how surprised I was when I saw her face! Seriously, it was unnerving.

I know she's a hair stylist and all, and she wants to be hip, but WHOA.

Freaky.

Anyway, the lesson is...it's okay to be hip, and stylish, but if you have a face like a grandma, try to dress in an age appropriate fashion.

Unless, of course, you enjoy watching people's eyes bug out every time you turn to face them.

You could see she was trying really hard to look good. Maybe a little TOO hard.

Oh the struggles we women face.

I say we all skip the makeup, hair color and fashion. Let's all go au naturel.

If you've got grays...let 'em show!! Blotchy skin? Zits? Embrace them!!

Why worry about trends? Just throw on a pair of mom jeans, a white tee shirt and a sensible pair of brown shoes.

Let's stop letting the media tell us what's beautiful!!!

Let's stop spending our money trying to look the way we're TOLD we should look!!

Come on ladies! Rise up!!!

You start. Let me know how it works out for you.


14 comments:

Unknown said...

Please tell me she had a nosering and spacers in her ears, too!!! :)

Bossy Betty said...

I go between admiring people who "go their own way" and pity for them because they must not be comfortable in their own skin.

Anonymous said...

There's a 75 year old lady that goes to my church that is the epitome of fashionable trends AND old age. I swear, she looks gorgeous every time you see her and she wears stuff that any young person would wear. Her look isn't torn jeans-hip, but more classy hip. I should snap a pic of her next time. She's stunning.

This lady at the salon prob needs a visit from Stacy and Clinton.

Formerly known as Frau said...

You can say that you already got your color done I'm way over due!

Grace's Mom said...

I'm good for all of it, sans the mom jeans.

I just can't do it!

Lori P said...

See, I TOTALLY agree with you and my kiddo (17) thinks that she should dress me like all her friends. I don't WANT tight jeans (you get infections). I don't WANT tight shirts (they show muffin tops). They just don't get it and I'm so glad you do.

Sandra said...

Yes, I agree. I have "embraced my grey" as my hair stylist puts it. I won't be wearing the torn, worn jeans for sure! Someone needs to tell her about Not Your Daughter's Jeans! ;-) xoxo

Bridget said...

haaaaa - I love that! I'll be tuning in to see how your readers fair in their mom jeans and sensible shoes!!!

Lanyardlady said...

Amen, sista! My gray gets whiter by the day and I am darn proud of it! I've never been so stylish, so comfy slacks and shoes say "vogue" to me. At my age I'm just glad I can dress myself!

Lipstick said...

That's pretty funny! Too bad you couldn't sneak a secret pic!

Anonymous said...

i'm on board with that! Being 43, I think that choosing age appropriate clothing is now one of the factors in my purchasing dilemmas.

Tara R. said...

I haven't colored my hair in almost 3 years, and except for the brown shoes, you described my daily outfit. I wear Vans with my jeans and tees. I made my daughter promise to never let me go out of the house looking stupid.

liz said...

Jill, you are super entertaining and fun to read! I just found your blog through Mommy Blogs and am following. Thanks!

Liz
http://www.bellebeanchicagodog.com

Patty Ayers said...

It sounds to me like she *was* being herself. Who's to say exactly what is age-appropriate? Why criticize someone who is dressing the way she wants? At 60, people tend to be beyond worrying about fitting into other peoples' boxes.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.