2.01.2010

Makin' Bacon...

Since I confessing some of my sins lately, I'll tell you something about myself that has always bothered me. I've always been terrible at...MAKING MONEY.

I have never made alot of money. Everything I've ever been interested in pays squat.

I'm good at alot of things. I play a very nice game of tennis, but I'll never be a tennis pro. I'm kind to and love animals, but there is no way I'll become a vet. When I set my mind to it, I'm a pretty good writer. The world is full of good writers, how many of them publish a best selling novel?

My kids' friends always want to come to MY house for play dates, because it's relaxed and fun over at my pad, but I don't charge them admission to my fun house.

I'm a loyal friend and generally a good, law abiding citizen. Neither of which pays me a dime.

In my working days, I was employed in the entertainment industry (no, I wasn't a stripper), and for the American Red Cross. I've never had any interest in law, banking, trading stocks, or business in general. I've always loathed working in an office and have avoided it at all costs. This aversion to office buildings and suits has probably contributed to my lack of marketable money making skills.

In some ways my pitiful earning power has made me feel bad about myself.

I would love to be really good at something that pays the big bucks.

I know everyone will tell you that life isn't about how much money you make, but let's face it, money brings some pretty good things, like a roof over your head, a college education for your kids, vacations to the Caribbean and pretty Frye Boots. It also brings something else with it.

RESPECT.

I am totally and completely financially dependent on my husband, and I know that isn't a good thing.

The question is...am I going to do something about it?

I can't answer that right now. I'm 44 years old, with a 6 year old and a 10 year old. I haven't had a job outside the house in over 10 years. I like staying home and taking care of them.

But I feel vulnerable. I AM vulnerable.

What's a woman to do???


13 comments:

Bossy Betty said...

My advice: Just keep doing what you love doing (i.e. writing) and the money will come--well, easy for me to say, huh? It;s so hard to find the balance sometimes.

Maureen said...

I am the LAST person to ask. I just posted about this - I am with Bossy Betty - there is always money to be made in things you like. What about teaching little ones tennis? Or running writing workshops? I think you start small, dream big, and it will happen.

All that said, in the end, the money doesn't matter. Two well-raised children (WOMEN) will be life's greatest reward.

Anonymous said...

I hear you, sister.

I love staying home, but the money situation is TIGHT. Which leads to stress. I know for years families did it on one income, but stuff was cheaper and there was less you "needed". It's definitely a sacrifice.

HouseMama said...

Stick with the kids. I know it doesn't pay monetarily, but the reward of knowing you were there for them is HUGE. I think you're doing the right thing. Besides...how could you farm if you went back to work? :)

p.s. I sent you an email, but I'm not sure if I made the request correctly. You can look me up under Lowe Frat House and then I'll friend you and neighbor you for Farmville.

Lori P said...

I hear that!! 20 years here. I've been telling the hubby for years that some day I'll make tons of money so that HE can be a stay-at-home husband. Luckily he didn't hold his breath. :)

Too bad we aren't paid for the things we do.
Lori
http://whatsafter29.blogspot.com

Kate said...

You know - the only person what you are doing has to makes sense to is you and your family. You love staying at home. And I agree with Maureen - the money DOESN't matter! I know what you mean about the respect issue. I work for myself now -- and the fact that I am contributing to the finances DOES feel good - but is also great because I am doing what I love and still am mostly home with the kids. If an opportunity arises to do something you love - go for it! If not - I wouldn't stress about it!

Leelee said...

You don't get the big bucks for what you are doing...none of us are and it's kinda scary when you realize that we don't exist on paper...but honestly, your contribution to the world is HUGE...2 well adjusted people will exist because of your time and talent as a mom, with a trauma-free childhood and healthy psyche...and will more than likely raise equally well-adjusted kids themselves some day....trust me, this kind of legacy is not as prevalent as it could be...

Anonymous said...

Ha, just had the same thoughts the other day. As the end of Kindergarten approaches (well, okay, that is in June, but it is approaching), I feel like once Sam starts first grade, what the hell will I do? Sure, I am a true homemaker - I juggle a lot around here to keep things in order & I feel like it is so important for someone to be home for Sam. I could get a job, but really, we survive on my husband's income, so it would have to be something that I enjoy doing in order to keep me busy, not take away from my duties here at home... and money, would simply be a bonus(extra money to feed our wish list couldn't hurt!) Now, what is it that I could do? That is the question - Hmmm, if you think of something & want a partner, give me a shout!!!

k e r r y said...

I only stayed home for about 3 years and while I loved it I also started to panic that I wouldn't be marketable when it was time for me to go back. I had strict criteria in my job search (work from home, not P&L, etc) and thought I'd take my time finding something. A month later I had an offer on the table and I cried my first day back to work. It was hard but now that my kids are 8&10 and in school all day I am happy I did it. I wouldn't have gone back if the job details were not perfect. The perfect job is out there if you can figure out what you might want to do!

Bridget said...

I'm in the same boat. Ideally would love to work from home and make the big bucks in my pjs. I'm workin on it ;)

Tara R. said...

I know exactly how you feel. I was a SAHM for 12 years before going to work in an office, then was laid off in Oct. Very disheartening. I would love to be able to make an income from my photography, but have no idea how to do it.

Maureen's idea of coaching tennis could be just the thing for you.

Jaina said...

You need to read Smart Women Finish Rich. ::hugs::

Anonymous said...

I/we think/talk about this ALL. THE. TIME!! :) What about doing something from home?

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.