11.03.2010

On Politics and Manners

Another election has come and gone. If you've been reading this blog long enough, I'm sure you know I am very pleased with the outcome. I'm not going to do a victory dance or get all in your face about how happy I am, but I feel good.

What I don't feel good about is the nastiness that comes out during election time.

Yesterday on Facebook it was madness.

Friends of mine from high school posted the most absurd and rude pictures, including this:


and this...

I found these annoying and immature, and I thought to myself, "don't even dignify it with a response..it's not worth it." And then, what did I do????

I TOOK THE BAIT!!!

I wrote a little note to each of these people letting them know, in a nice way, that I found these photos offensive.

Big mistake.

Why? Because people who put stuff like this up on the internet are not rational if you don't agree with them. If you disagree with Obama's policies they start screaming about Bush and they can get VERY nasty.

One of their favorite tactics is to become pompous and condescending.

Here are a few choice comments from some of my exchanges yesterday...

"I lived in Europe and we were a laughing stock when Bush was in office.
" (She lived in France...not exactly a model for good government. Things are a MESS in France. But I'm sure they all felt really good about themselves while they sat around drinking wine and talking about the "ugly Americans.")

"It's some place, this Duhmerica, isn't it?" (Apparently yesterday's election results were based on stupidity...I guess voting Republican means you are STUPID. It's a shame that they hate this country so much. Very sad indeed.)

"I just hear so much blather, such utter nonsense, particularly from IDIOTS like Glenn Beck. Sheer nonsense. And then I hear people parrot it back, like it's true."
Not everyone who votes Republican is an IDIOT who is simply parroting back the opinions of Glenn Beck. To imply that that is the case is once again...pompous and RUDE!

"Love ya too, you wingnut fascist demagogue! Joke!
" The adult equivalent of "those shoes are so ugly!! Just kidding!! They're cute. Why are you upset?? I was KIDDING!!"

And the piece de resistance...

Great. Let's put back into power the same party that fucked everything up. THAT WILL SOLVE EVERYTHING. Congratulations America, on your short term memory loss and idiocy.

Get over yourself. Do you think you could have voiced that opinion in a CIVIL tone? No, you can't, because you are so much smarter than everyone else, aren't you? And it makes you SOOOO MAD that people who don't agree with you are SO DAMN STUPID!!!! GRRRRR!!!


Later today, I'm going to do a little housecleaning on Facebook. I'm certainly not going to eliminate my friends who disagree with me politically. I respect their opinions and I welcome a good debate. A good political discussion is a beautiful thing, when you can keep things respectful.

If you can't play nice, then you're off the Caffeine Court team. CUT!!! Take your ball and go play with the other SMART mean kids.

Before I go, remember this...tolerance and diversity are what makes this country great. (Yes, I think America is a great country...DUH.)

Practice what you preach.

RESPECT.

Peace out.



16 comments:

LunaNik said...

And THAT is why I don't facebook. I mean I have a facebook account, but I never update my status or anything. Mainly, I'm on facebook because I'm nosey.

Tara R. said...

Amen! You don't have to agree with my political leanings, but we can discuss those differences in a civil and mature way.

"Cookie" said...

Preach it! Funny how those that speech of respect don't put it into practice when people disagree with their beliefs or view point.

just ask beth said...

we just re-elected the most UNCINIL man to Senate again. Joe "YOU LIE" Wilson, nothing about what he did was nice JACKASS! I do love your blog and this is not meant to be confrontational. I just think CHINA is going to own us that's all!

just ask beth said...

UNCIVIL sorry

Unknown said...

It's so funny that someone said they lived in Europe and that everything thought Bush was such a joke. I actually lived in Italy when all of the Clinton/Monica Lewinsky stuff went down...talk about a laughing stock!
And I think you are right, people should be more respectful when they say stuff, however, it is so easy to hide behind a computer screen and never actually say those things to someone's face (like we had to in the "old days.")

Sandra said...

You are so right! When Republicans are beaten and lose the majority control, you rarely hear a word of condescending rhetoric. Not so true when things turnaround. I have plenty of friends with whom I disagree vehemently politically. We have agreed to disagree and that's it. Great post. xoxo

Leelee said...

"I respect their opinions and I welcome a good debate. A good political discussion is a beautiful thing, when you can keep things respectful"....

Words to live by...respecting someone else's opinion should be a requirement for expressing one's own....

I avoided the FB politics as well...some "kids" are too young to play....

The Chic Chauffeur said...

You go girl! I cleaned house a few weeks ago on FB. Actually took off a VERY CLOSE relative. and it felt GREAT! Get rid of the negativity!!!!!

glad you are back!

linda said...

well said!

Robb said...

Amen and amen.

People are insensitive, and intolerant. I think stupidity is a pretty big problem, and often contagious.

Thank you for putting it in perspective.

The wife said...

Where's the "like" button for this?

Unknown said...

I did the same thing a few weeks ago. It is amazing how poitics can bring out the worst in people. I am shocked at how hateful people can be when everyone doesn't fall in line with whatever cause or political view is posted.

Jill said...

Amen, sista. And as for the French talkin' smack....if it weren't for the US they'd probably be behind a big ugly wall speaking German.

Anonymous said...

i agree. i have some fb friends who seem to thrive on confrontational posts. i think facebook political posts come off as shallow sound bites anyway, but ones that egg people on are ridiculous.

Robb said...

This was posted 3 weeks ago?

I need my caffeine hit!!!

My blog, Inspired by Caffeine and Nicotine, is kind of fueled by Caffeine.

So yeah, I've been playing hooky for about three weeks, but I'm back.

Scooby Dooby Doo where are you?

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.