7.15.2010

An observation....

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, if I have, please forgive me, I'm getting to that stage of life where I tell the same stories over and over. I'm also getting to the stage in life where you would THINK most women wouldn't be able to wear bikinis in public and look halfway decent.

You would think that wouldn't you?

Well, I have to say, there are a ton of women at my beach, who are in their mid forties and look AWESOME in bikinis.

Damn them.


I kind of thought I was past the age where I'd have to feel pressure to look hot. I thought this was my time to wear a mom bathing suit and a mu mu, while I apply sunblock on my daughters and read "Good Housekeeping" magazine by the pool.

Apparently not. It seems lately everyone my age is looking BUFF and strutting their stuff. WTF? Why are you doing this to me? Can't we all be soft, chubby, middle aged ladies together?

Playing tennis does not cut it for me. If I want to join the over 40 bikini club, I'm going to have to step it up and dedicate myself fully to getting ripped. If I start now, maybe, just maybe, next summer, when I'm 46 I'll be playing frisbee on the beach while I sport a hot little string bikini.

So tell me, are you one of those hateful middle aged women who look a cover girl from "Shape" magazine? It's okay if you are, you can admit it. I won't hate you. Maybe you can inspire me.

If you sport a Lands' End tankini with an Old Navy cover up over it, like me, that's okay too. Please make yourself heard. I need to know I'm not alone.

That's all I've got today. Now I'm going to scoot over to my neighbor's cross country travel blog, so I can feel a bit better about myself.

TTFN.


12 comments:

justme said...

oh yes, i have them at my beach as well. but we also have the moms who SHOULD not be in bikinis and they are. i am in my lands end suit (that covers my belly) and a cover up.....i have thought of wearing a bikini b/c i swear i would look ok compared to some of the ladies that are wearing them.

Sandra said...

At age 60, I'm in a one piece, but I do have a cute cover-up ;-) Can't wait for the latest from RVLand. xoox

The Chic Chauffeur said...

Oh, their country cousins are out here in Kansas as well..... In fact, here in the heartland, you can't really join the hot mom's club until you get an AUGMENTATION!!! Can't they leave well enough alone, and age like the rest of us????

Although I think secretly maybe their kids are a teensy bit embarrassed that their mom's are prancing around looking like Pamela Anderson....

or maybe I'm just jealous that I can't afford the lift and (en)large surgery! :)

linda said...

Same stuff goes on here on long island......i'm middle aged and "soft", but used to be buff in my twenties and thrities( didn't we all!) ;)

oddly, the super-buff Moms always wear a grim sour-puss face.

p.s. you look in great shape!

R. J. said...

Sitting on a beach while wearing concealing sunglasses certainly gives us a chance to observe without anyone knowing we're looking. I think they look grim because they are thinking, "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful." This 66 year old isn't interested in competing because I respect growing old gracefully. That isn't an excuse not to workout but I'm not in denial that I can stop a speeding train. I do workout but my reasons aren't to fit into a bikini, I'm interested in clear veins, healthy heart, functioning brain and the ability to sit in an airline seat without spillover. If I live to a 100, what a bonus.

Poolside with the Girls said...

I'm in the worst shape of my life, no bikinis here!!!

(If you've got it, flaunt it. If you've got too much, cover it up right?)

Pink in a sea of blue said...

Ok, I wear a bikini and I'm 39 (40 in Aug). That being said, I only started wearing these again 2 summers ago because I started hitting a mid-life crisis and decided I needed to get to the gym. Changed diet, added vitamins, workouts, etc. So, now I'm proud to be wearing a bikini again because it didn't come naturally, it took work (mentally and physically) AND who knows how long I'll be able to keep this up!!! Glad I stumbled upon your blog again... :)

kks said...

i'm a 50 yr old who was headed in the direction of mu mu style dress....realized this is the last chance i have to look good and get in that bikini!
found you through PP
xoxo

Constant Frivolity said...

I'm 41 and succumbed to start wearing the "skirted suit" about 3 years ago. I work out, but have always had thick thighs and some junk in the trunk.

My goal now is to not be one of the "top ten fattest women" at my pool ;)

Does this mean I've given up?

P.S. - I know you deleted the cross-country posts. But, you must let us know when and if the family makes it back in one piece.

Unknown said...

Here in the Dallas area we have to go to the country club to see women in swimsuits. ( I don't do water parks lol) These women look great but they have to...they have hot looking nannies that really give them a run for their money.
I tried the whole workout thing four years ago and it just wore me out. I will wear my tankini, cover up and sunglasses, thank you very much but I will be giving the evil eye to all the buff, tan and over endowed women I see. Sad thing is, many are divorced and competing with the 24 year old who still is perky without surgery. (not that many haven't already done some tweaking)
Thank god I have a pool and rarely have to venture out because I'd probably die of humiliation lol.

The Major's Wife said...

I'm 32 and LOVE the Lands end skirt, it looks so much better on me than a regular bathing suit bottom. Think about it this way. does one look better in underware or your tennis skirt??

Cid said...

You know what? This summer I decided at age 44 that dammit I was going to wear a bikini because I never have and if I don't now, when will I? So I am one of those soft around the middle-aged ladies in a not-so-string bikini and I'm okay with that.

 
Website Content and Copy: Caffeine Court, 2007-8.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.